R.I.P. Jean-Luc Godard

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

R.I.P.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Damn.

That guy had one of the most prolific run of films during his 1960's that I can remember, I didn't venture too far out after that but never forgot those. I should probably see more. RIP.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I should probably see more.
You totally ought to seek out his post-Weekend works, especially his 80s and 90s output. It's unlike anything else in cinema. Godard was a hundred years before everyone else. His latest few films are absolutely worth your time, too. They are highly experimental essay films that may be hard to crack at first, but the more Godard you watch, the clearer his ideas appear to you. He just likes to do things differently.

RIP. He was a great director. I've seen 17 of his films. He made some really good ones and even his weaker films are still worth watching.

Oh no, that's a huge loss to Starfleet Command I'm sure

No, wait, wrong one....

A sad day for cinema, I really ought to get round to his Alphaville and Pierrot Le Fou sometime.
Requiescat in pace!

Wow, I'm shocked. Huge inspiration for me, and I kind of thought he would live forever making movies. Rest in peace.

You totally ought to seek out his post-Weekend works, especially his 80s and 90s output. It's unlike anything else in cinema. Godard was a hundred years before everyone else. His latest few films are absolutely worth your time, too. They are highly experimental essay films that may be hard to crack at first, but the more Godard you watch, the clearer his ideas appear to you. He just likes to do things differently.
I've heard his later films are generally hit-or-miss, but I'll probably check them out someday. For instance, I've been trying to track down Histoire(s) du cinéma for years, but I can't find it anywhere.

R.I.P. to one of the GOATs.

I admit I’m not as well versed in his post Weekend work, but I do quite like these:

Tout Va Bien: I’ve heard this one get dismissed for its didacticism, but I think the strained quality is intentional, as the movie seems to be about the limitations of making commercial political cinema. The supermarket sequence is pretty tremendous, and with Jane and Yves, you can’t lose.

Every Man For Himself: Stars Isabelle Huppert, which automatically makes it a good movie. His return of sorts to the mainstream, but with much more melancholy than his ‘60s work.

Hail Mary: I find something uniquely affecting about the way he combines the mundane and the divine. Contains maybe the least leery nudity I’ve seen in a movie, and an awful lot of it.