Best decade for Horror movies?

Tools    

Okay, so I want to see what everyone else out there thinks. I'm a huge horror fan and I feel that very few have come close to recreating the love and quality of horror movies from the 80's. Granted there were plenty of bad ones in that decade, but overall everything was so iconic back then. What does everyone else think? What has been the best decade for horror movies?

I think every decade had good ones and bad ones, I cant really pick out one decade, but it seems from about 2000 on they have made more garbage than usual. Like you, I am a horror movie fan but it seems like anymore maybe one out of ten is worth watching, and most of those are mediocre.

Tough for me to pick between the 70's and 80's. There were so many great, original, and creepy horrors in the 70's. The 80's got a little sillier but I think there were so many that were fun. It seems like that's when the horror comedy really came into play. I think the 70's had better quality and the 80's had better quantity.

How about HALLOWEEN, the original one?
It will be put on show from October 25 to 30 once again, re-release!!
The classic, i think.

NOw I do like Halloween. In fact I like most John Carpenter movies. Will be going to see this if it comes back on at the cinema.

Honourable mention to The Fog which I also enjoyed

I CAN"T freaking wait for Halloween to come back to the big screen. That is probably my top favorite horror movie of all time. To see it on the big screen would be so amazing!

It pretty much just comes down to preference here. 70s is known for serious horror. Way less camp. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Exorcist, Carrie, Halloween, Jaws, Phantasm, Changeling(released in 1980 but directed before), Alien, Black Xmas(some consider the original slasher). You also had Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Craven's Last House on the Left scared the mess out of the people. 70s horror was a lot scarier in my opinion. Late 70s sparked the 80s. I love the 80s because you've got stuff like the Nightmare on Elm St series which is like a combination of a teen movie and horror. 80s went so deep if you start getting into some of the B movies it just basically never stops. There are sooo many slashers in the 80s. Movies people who aren't horror fans will never hear of. Intruders(praised by Tarantino), Chopping Mall, Slaughter High, Waxwork, C.H.U.D. Then ones considered B movies like Night of the Creeps and Monstersquad play more like A movies. 70s had some bigger horror movies and were definitely the influence, but there isn't enough room in this thread to talk about all the 80s horror films. Horror comedy was taken to a whole new level, intentionally or not depending on the flick.

Something about the 80s and the characters of the 80s. 80s is the only place you can find dozens of family/teen/horror movies. GHOSTBUSTERS, Gremlins, Monstersquad, the Burbs, Silver Bullet, Lost Boys, Fright Night, Poltergeist, Teen Wolf. These movies have very scary moments but at the same time have the Spielberg type family influence.

Another thing sort of interesting is the way some of the characters of the 80s have lived on. Freddy Kruger, Jason Voorhees, Chucky, Pinhead, Ghostbusters you see year after year around Halloween time. These are household names almost 30 years later. 90s did not have the same effect and 2000 sure as hell didn't.

I haven't gotten into much before the 70s. Not really into the hammer films...yet. Other than Scream, In the Mouth of Madness, Craven's New Nightmare, and Tales From the Crypt, the 90s were pretty bad for horror in my opinion. Then 2000's came around and thank goodness for Grindhouse, 1408. I am really struggling to think of too many more that I loved in the 2000s. Not to say there aren't some good ones sprinkled in there somewhere. Paranormal Activity series isn't terrible. Anything that gets you with gore more than story I am not a fan of, which was a lot of the 2000's. When movies like Cabin Fever and Jeepers Creepers are on top 20 lists, then you know something went wrong with the decade.

From what I can remember and getting years correct(I'm terrible for this), I believe nearly all of my favourite horror films were made in the 70s and 00s. So the 70s and 00s

From what I can remember and getting years correct(I'm terrible for this), I believe nearly all of my favourite horror films were made in the 70s and 00s. So the 70s and 00s

I agree, much horror, even most horror, turned to cheese in the 80's and 90's. But some early eighties things should be bulked with the 70's, like The Shining, The Thing, and such.

Okay, so I want to see what everyone else out there thinks. I'm a huge horror fan and I feel that very few have come close to recreating the love and quality of horror movies from the 80's. Granted there were plenty of bad ones in that decade, but overall everything was so iconic back then. What does everyone else think? What has been the best decade for horror movies?

The biggies from the eighties in my view are halloween2, the thing, and the shining. Then they start getting comical like house, evil dead2 , and return if the liv. dead.

Kind of a huge shift in many ways, from early 80's tweaking of late 70's, to the mid-80's slapstick horror.

I think Surveillance is a great horror film of today.

I really like 'the horror making fun of itself' also:

FunnyGames, with all his snooty belittling, Haneke still ended up making a great horror film.

Deathproof was ingenious also, finally the perp. is exposed as a coward.

The 80s are special for me. It's true there were excellent horrors from the 70s. While the 70s produced very frightening films, I don't see the emergence of 80s splatstick and the re-invention of horror-comedies as a fault. While there was imitation as usual in the genre, there was also innovation.

I love so many 80s horror titles, I could go on endlessly. American Werewolf in London, Fright Night, Re-Animator, From Beyond, The Shining, Evil Dead 1 and 2, The Gate, Hellraiser, Critters, Creepshow, The Stepfather, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Howling, House, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Gremlins, The Hitcher, The Blob remake (yes), The Lost Boys, Child's Play, Waxwork, Dolls, The Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2, Demons 1 and 2, Night of the Demons, Night of the Creeps, Night of the Comet, Poltergeist 1 and 2, Phantasm 2, Pet Sematary, Near Dark, The Fog, The Fly remake, Henry, Videodrome, Warlock, Swamp Thing, The Dead Zone, Monkey Shines, Ghoulies, Lifeforce, Angel Heart, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2..
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

^ You named a few goodies that, at the moment slipped my mind completely, An American Werewolf in London in particular. I need more omega3, ginseng, gingko, etc. etc. I'm only 32 and yet, and yet.....What was I saying?

The 80s are special for me. It's true there were excellent horrors from the 70s. While the 70s produced very frightening films, I don't see the emergence of 80s splatstick and the re-invention of horror-comedies as a fault. While there was imitation as usual in the genre, there was also innovation.

I love so many 80s horror titles, I could go on endlessly. American Werewolf in London, Fright Night, Re-Animator, From Beyond, The Shining, Evil Dead 1 and 2, The Gate, Hellraiser, Critters, Creepshow, The Stepfather, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Howling, House, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Gremlins, The Hitcher, The Blob remake (yes), The Lost Boys, Child's Play, Waxwork, Dolls, The Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2, Demons 1 and 2, Night of the Demons, Night of the Creeps, Night of the Comet, Poltergeist 1 and 2, Phantasm 2, Pet Sematary, Near Dark, The Fog, The Fly remake, Henry, Videodrome, Warlock, Swamp Thing, The Dead Zone, Monkey Shines, Ghoulies, Lifeforce, Angel Heart, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2..
Seen pretty much all these except Monkey Shines, Ghoulies, Angel Heart, and Hello Mary Lou. Heard of them all of course.

The Stuff, It's Alive, Q:the Winged Serpent, C.H.U.D. Unreal decade.

Well for mainstream horror, it's gotta be the 80s. But for independent horror films, the 70s all the way!