Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Out of curiosity, what are some divisive films from the 2010s you guys genuinely love?

Some of my picks would be:

A Ghost Story
Holy Motors
Brimstone
The Painted Bird
Batman v Superman

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I wonder how many animated films will make the countdown? There are 3-5 animated films that could make my ballot.

I think I have 7 or 8 animated movies on my potential list right now, plus another dozen or so that I have to watch or rewatch.

These are a few science fiction movies that I love that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Real Steel (2011)

Source Code (2011)

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)
I've seen the first two. They won't make my ballot, but I like them to differing degrees.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
These are a few lesser known romance movies that I haven't seen mentioned:

In Your Eyes (2014) (written by Joss Whedon)

In My Dreams (2014) (Hallmark TV Movie)

The Longest Ride (2015) (story by Nicholas Sparks)

Out of curiosity, what are some divisive films from the 2010s you guys genuinely love?
The first thing that jumps to mind is James McTeigue's The Raven.

It has a 22% score on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.4 on IMDb. I ranked it #77 on my personal top 100 in 2017.

A few docs/biographies that I found of interest during the decade:

(Your taste may vary)
Check out the Magic Bird doc from HBO. Magic & Bird: A Courtship In Rivals. Was from 2010. I'm a basketball junkie but you don't have to like basketball to enjoy it. You'll laugh, cry and show you how important those two guys were for the game. They saved basketball Jordan took it global.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Yeah The Hateful Eight is going to need some help for this countdown I'm afraid.. let the campaigning begin!

Ennio Morricone - L'Ultima Diligenza Di Red Rock

Also I second The Old Man & the Gun and wil add All Is Lost as a rec.

some divisive films from the 2010s
These are the lowest rated films (according letterbox users) on my top 200 of the 2010's:

The American 2010
The Judge 2014
The Equalizer 2014
The Walk 2015
Kon-Tiki 2012
Long Shot 2019
Ad Astra 2019

Here are ten more movies that will likely make my list that I'm pretty sure haven't been mentioned yet:

Andre the Giant - HBO's excellent documentary about the wrestler's tragic life and how his rise corresponds with the rise in the popularity of professional wrestling.

First Reformed - Another great Paul Schrader movie about a lonely man, a pastor (Ethan Hawke in a career-best performance) of a church with a tiny congregation and about how hard it is to be good these days.

Saint Maud - A terrifying horror movie about a nurse (an excellent Morfydd Clark from the Lord of the Rings series) who becomes a little too obsessed with her patient (Jennifer Ehle).

Shaun the Sheep Movie - Aardman's still got it. Hilarious and charming.

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese's epic about Jimmy Hoffa that reminds viewers that took Goodfellas the wrong way that the gangster life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers' horror comedy that I found to be an examination of this Pascal quote: "all of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." What if it's two men?

The Red Turtle - A short, sweet and heartbreaking Dutch/Japanese animated film that, hopefully not to spoil it too much, would devastate me if I watched it again now that I have a child.

The Salt of the Earth - Wim Wender's documentary about photographer Sebastião Salgado, who takes pictures of our planet's most poor and destitute civilizations.

Upgrade - Possibly the decade's most underappreciated action movie. It might have been lost in the shuffle for being labeled as horror, likely because Leigh Whannell (Saw) directed it.

Your Name - A beautiful animated Japanese movie about a teenage boy and girl from metropolitan and rural Japan who switch bodies.

Here are ten more movies that will likely make my list that I'm pretty sure haven't been mentioned yet:

First Reformed - Another great Paul Schrader movie about a lonely man, a pastor (Ethan Hawke in a career-best performance) of a church with a tiny congregation and about how hard it is to be good these days.

Saint Maud - A terrifying horror movie about a nurse (an excellent Morfydd Clark from the Lord of the Rings series) who becomes a little too obsessed with her patient (Jennifer Ehle).

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese's epic about Jimmy Hoffa that reminds viewers that took Goodfellas the wrong way that the gangster life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The Lighthouse - Dave Eggers' horror comedy that I found to be an examination of this Pascal quote: "all of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." What if it's two men?

Your Name - A beautiful animated Japanese movie about a teenage boy and girl from metropolitan and rural Japan who switch bodies.
Those are solid choices (not a fan of First Reformed though). I don't know if they'll make my ballot though.

The Red Turtle - A short, sweet and heartbreaking Dutch/Japanese animated film that, hopefully not to spoil it too much, would devastate me if I watched it again now that I have a child.
Added to my watchlist.

Here are some 2011 films which may or may not make my ballot:

Melancholia (I mentioned this one earlier in this thread, but it's the Von Trier film which has the best chance of making my ballot)
The Cabin in the Woods (a scary and super fun horror film which I've seen a couple times)
Shame (this one made the list I made a few years ago, so it may make this one as well)
Hugo (probably won't make my ballot, but it's still a fun and charming film)
A Separation (this one was about in the middle of the last list I made, so it'll probably make this one as well)
Attack the Block (a fun, albeit cheesy horror film elevated by a couple layers of social commentary)
Samsara (haven't seen this one in years, but it's a contender for the best cinematography I've ever seen)
The Turin Horse (don't remember this one well either, but I did enjoy it quite a bit)
Life in a Day (contains one or two slaughterhouse scenes, so it won't be for everyone, but it's still a moving film)

These are a few science fiction movies that I love that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Real Steel (2011)
I love sci fi, and I remember you liking Real Steel so I might just have to finally get around to watching this.

These are a few lesser known romance movies that I haven't seen mentioned:

In Your Eyes (2014) (written by Joss Whedon)
Cool, I like to see more of Zoe Kazan. So far my favorite film of hers is Ruby Sparks with Paul Dano.

Upgrade - Possibly the decade's most underappreciated action movie. It might have been lost in the shuffle for being labeled as horror, likely because Leigh Whannell (Saw) directed it.
Both on my list of contenders

The first thing that jumps to mind is James McTeigue's The Raven.

It has a 22% score on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.4 on IMDb. I ranked it #77 on my personal top 100 in 2017.
I wasn't a huge fan of that, but at least I got this out of it

The Raven: A poem about the film about the poem

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary
Over how bad The Raven could be, and if it would leave my eyes sore.
After renting it and watching, suddenly in my mind there came a tapping
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my brain door.
“This isn’t as bad as I expected” I muttered, “but it’s still a bit of a bore”
“Only this, and nothing more”

Ah, distinctly I remember it was James McTeigue who directed,
Danny Ruhlmann’s cinematography that cast lights, shadows on the floor.
Eagerly I wished the film would’ve been better, and not as hollow.
From John Cusack’s miscast role – he did good, but could’ve done more;
To the script that could’ve glowed, and could’ve soared,
But it was just there, nothing more.

Then a supporting cast that was solid, they delivered with their acting
By Luke Evans and Brendan Gleeson, although they could’ve done more
Though their roles were stuck and underdeveloped, I said at least it’s a haven
In a film that brought little thrill, could’ve been so much more
Tell me why with such a great source, it could’ve been easy to score
But The Raven? Nevermore.

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing,
On the climax and the ending, could’ve taken the film to the next shore;
On the killer’s motivations and identity, that could’ve used some more refining
On the resolution that the film tried to rest o’er,
But whose contrivances where so weak to look over
'Tis just a C and nothing more.

My "left field" recommendations for the day, now for 2014...

Kill the Messenger - Based on the real life story of journalist Gary Webb. It is an excellent thriller starring Jeremy Renner.

Phoenix - Powerful drama about a concentration camp survivor trying to rebuild her previous life. Lead performance from Nina Hoss is excellent.

Maps to the Stars - A great look from David Cronenberg at the decayed inner workings of Hollywood through the eyes of an aging actress, a young assistant, and a problematic child star.

Magical Girl - Brought up during a recent HoF here, it is a neatly directed and shot story about three different characters, each with different struggles, whose paths converge tragically in the end.

Sand Dollars - Loved this bitter romance between two women: one, aging and wealthy, thirsty for affection, the other young, poor, and looking for a con. Stars Geraldine Chaplin (Charlie's daughter), but set in the Dominican Republic.

Glass Chin - Barely see this film mentioned, but I thought it was neatly shot and directed. It follows a former boxing champ (Corey Stoll) that gets mixed up with a crime boss (Billy Crudup).