Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I enjoy this one a lot, though me being a DiCaprio fan probably has a lot to do with it. Just keep in mind that this is very much a Baz Luhrmann movie and try not to let yourself be put off by his soundtrack choices.
I've only watched a few of Luhrmann's films, but from what I've seen, his style is generally too excessive and flashy to the point it shuts me down. Heck, I almost gave up on Moulin Rouge! as the editing and music in that opening music scene wore me down more than most films I've ever seen have. I haven't seen The Great Gatsby in ages, but I remember it being easier to watch.

Some of my recommendations:

Justine (2019)
With enthusiasm I googled this but, alas, it wasn't a new De Sade adaptation.

Maybe these six would be my top recommendations from your list (I'm pretty sure at least two of these will make my list).

Interstellar
Sinister
Death of Stalin
Let Me In
The Nightingale
Brimstone

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, big fan of both of these!

Okay, so there are quite a few big name films from the decade I haven't seen. I do not intend to watch all of them, but if you had to pick 3-5 from the following list as essential, what would they be? Films with a * are already of interest to me. Films with a ^ are not of interest--convince me.

HELP ME!  

(Keep in mind that I haven't seen a lot of the movies on your list.)

These are my five favorite movies from your list:
Age of Adaline
The Greatest Showman
Crazy Rich Asians
The Descendants
A Star is Born

These are the five most essential movies from your list:
Nightcrawler
Manchester by the Sea
Bridge of Spies
Birdman
The Social Network

Speaking of recommendations. Even if they don't make your lists, here's to few movies that I hope people give a look.

And since RRR is currently quite popular, the filmmaker's earlier big hits.

It was very good, btw. Not sure it will make my ballot, but I may consider it.

Have you seen the follow up, Transit?
For some reason I saw them in the reverse order, and seeing some questions posed explicitly in Transit made the implicit questions raised in Phoenix feel stronger when I finally got around to it.

Have you seen the follow up, Transit?
For some reason I saw them in the reverse order, and seeing some questions posed explicitly in Transit made the implicit questions raised in Phoenix feel stronger when I finally got around to it.
No, I haven't. I may get to it as well.

To continue with my "left field" recommendations; films that might or not make my ballot in the end, but that I'd like to put a spotligh ton. It's time for 2011...

Margin Call - Tight script, solid performances, very "energetic" for what is essentially a "talky" film.

Another Earth - Interesting scifi drama from Brit Marling. Well acted and thought-provoking, even if the science in it doesn't make sense. Solid pairing with Melancholia, also from this year.

Sound of My Voice - Speaking of Brit Marling, here's another interesting film of her about a couple that tries to infiltrate a mysterious cult led by Marling. It might not be perfect, but it's the kind of film that sticks with you.

Attack the Block - Pretty cool scifi action/thriller about savage aliens attacking the "block" in UK, as a gang of teens tries to take them on.

Killer Joe - Starts as a conventional dark humored drama about a couple of dumb rednecks putting a hit on a family member, but ends up with a weirdly bizarre climax that makes the journey worthy. McCounaghey is great here.

To continue with my "left field" recommendations; films that might or not make my ballot in the end, but that I'd like to put a spotligh ton. It's time for 2011...

Killer Joe - Starts as a conventional dark humored drama about a couple of dumb rednecks putting a hit on a family member, but ends up with a weirdly bizarre climax that makes the journey worthy. McCounaghey is great here.
Heard that was the best movie of the decade, I'll definitely be checking it out!

Attack the Block - Pretty cool scifi action/thriller about savage aliens attacking the "block" in UK, as a gang of teens tries to take them on.
It won't make my ballot, but it's a fun film.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
HELP ME!  

I've seen about half of this long list. Out of them, sorry to say, there are not many worth paying attention. Actually, I think there are four of all these movies that I think deserve being in top 100 of the 2010's.

Another Earth - Interesting scifi drama from Brit Marling. Well acted and thought-provoking, even if the science in it doesn't make sense. Solid pairing with Melancholia, also from this year.

Sound of My Voice - Speaking of Brit Marling, here's another interesting film of her about a couple that tries to infiltrate a mysterious cult led by Marling. It might not be perfect, but it's the kind of film that sticks with you.

Another Earth is really good. I watched Sound of My Voice today and really liked it. Very interesting story and Brit Marling is wonderful in both films.