The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I see the argument, but cancelling the movie for that is going way overboard.

My favorite criticism is when they worry about all of the things he presumably does that the movie doesn't show us or tell us about.

And by favorite part, I mean the part where I stopped reading.

My favorite criticism is when they worry about all of the things he presumably does that the movie doesn't show us or tell us about.

Well yea, in Ghostbusters he gives Weaver's character a drug to calm her down, and the fact that he was carrying the drug supposedly was a sign that he was planning on raping her.

My view is nothing should be cancelled. I wouldn't even mention this stuff but it's the times we are in.
Agreed. I think there's something to learn from every problematic piece of art out there. Even The Birth of a Nation has a lot to teach about the dangers of art, given the impact the film made when it was released.

I just skimmed over the article.

Okay, but nothing in that article outright suggests "canceling" the movie. You could infer that, sure, but why?

The basic critique of the article is that the movie suggests that Phil has gone through a redemption arc, but that this isn't actually true. Obviously, this isn't the standard reading of the film, but criticism doesn't need to be right, it just needs to have some kind of textual basis. So my basic response is: So what? Someone didn't like the movie, and gave their reason. I think that's fine!

And Ghostbusters, over the characters Murray plays. I don't know how serious it is but I've heard it.

This is one article about Groundhog Day

https://www.looper.com/394350/why-ph...rrible-person/

I get what they're saying but still

"Meh."
The internet is full of top 20 lists and contratrian, let's pick apart this fictional thing everybody loves and realize in reality, our fictional characters or premises kind of suck (not that they don't...).

Okay, but nothing in that article outright suggests "canceling" the movie. You could infer that, sure, but why?
That's just something I've heard over the years, and an article I quickly pulled up to explain why.

The basic critique of the article is that the movie suggests that Phil has gone through a redemption arc, but that this isn't actually true. Obviously, this isn't the standard reading of the film, but criticism doesn't need to be right, it just needs to have some kind of textual basis. So my basic response is: So what? Someone didn't like the movie, and gave their reason. I think that's fine!
I think there are some folks who just pick on certain movies, music, video games, etc., because they're popular.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh, the author of that article writes for Salon and is the field producer for Samantha Bee? Color me completely uninterested in her take on pretty much anything.

I only believe in canceling Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics fans. But I think we can all get on board with that.

I remember how big Ghostbusters was back in the day and I have it in my DVD collection, but it's never risen to the very top of my favorites, so I didn't include it. I will have four of the final five films on my list, but in the meanwhile, a couple of mine that didn't make it.

#18 They All Laughed. A great cast led by John Ritter about detectives, love, sex, and New York City, and the film almost makes me a fan of country music.

#17. The Grand Budapest Hotel. The perfect Wes Anderson film.

Everyone loves to point out that Venkman brought a knockout drug to a date but forget that he tortures an innocent person to impress a woman in his first scene.

Everyone loves to point out that Venkman brought a knockout drug to a date but forget that he tortures an innocent person to impress a woman in his first scene.
Now that was funny!

Ghostbusters is an 80s classic, but not one that exceptionally amused me.

My Number 6 was Rush Hour. I feel very similarly to Iro:

Police Story was my #19. A little disappointing to realise that there isn't a single Jackie Chan film on this entire list, but I guess that's to be expecting when he doesn't exactly have a consensus pick for a single great film that fans can rally behind for the sake of representing him.
The quality of Chan's filmography is all over the place, and while I'm partial to his Hong Kong features, a lot of them are low-budget trash. Rush Hour, while not by any means my favorite of his movies, is decidedly more comedic than his other roles, and it has solid production quality to boot. Early Police Story, to the best of my recollection, would routinely devolve into toilet humor and I'm afraid that's just a turnoff for me, regardless of the memorable stunts he's known for in those movies.

And in the end, Chan's stuntwork and exceptionally choreographed fight scenes are the main thing I show up to see. A giggle or two is a bonus. I'll give an honorable mention to Gorgeous.

1. ??? (1971)
2. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
3. Black Dynamite (2009)
4. Clue (1985)
5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
6. Rush Hour (1998)
7. ??? (1975)
8. HK: Forbidden Superhero (2013)
9. Gothic & Lolita Psycho (2010)
10. Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)

Ghostbusters had some good laughs. The third act doesn't quite do it for me, though. No vote.

You would have to be a real ogre to not enjoy "Ghostbusters". Can see it ranked this high because its in the wheelhouse of the majority here, youth wise. A really fun film, but it wouldn't be in my top fifty. Might be that the sequels squashed this feeling I had.

Okay, now to throw a wrench into the latest PC banter. A nasty one and a standard from my youth, most likely only seen here...

#19 "Teachers" (1984)

This film is the polar opposite of the feel good '80s teen romps. It covers all the little bad things that are never or rarely mentioned during this era. Hence why I love its darkness and and can find the funny.

#16 "The Longest Yard" (1974)

I approached this list by breaking down comedy into categories, i.e.- crime, chase, teen, animated, etc. Then selected the one that fit the bill best for myself. Hence why my ballot is among the worse...lol.

Back to the film at hand. Please, do not ever confuse this with that disgusting turd laid by Sandler & Co. Who thought it would be fun to replicate a damn funny film scene by scene. This is my sports entry...

My ballot: