Do You Believe In Ghosts?

Tools    

If it wasn't an insect, then it was likely bacteria/algae. The chlorine in tap water does not entirely kill microbes in it. They may just be weakened, or they are killed, but their spores survive. Why a colony chose that specific area might've had to do with the conditions of condensation in that area. Or, it might've had to do with the hot water heater, having had an algae bloom, or whatnot, in its rusty innards. Until False Writer returns with his "Stone Tape" theory, you can be confident that it wasn't a ghost's "ecto-plasm," Captain.

It was a few years ago and I'm trying to remember - I seem to recall there might have been some atmospheric discrepancies. No rain storm, but low barometric pressure and high humidity but with cool temps. So I also lean toward it being some strange condensation phenomenon. But I still can't understand - if that's the case, why only that one isolated area - unless above the window may have been an area of much different temperature?

But even so, I don't understand the dark color since everything in the bathroom was very clean.

Thanks for trying to help figure out the mystery - it's the closes thing I've had to a "paranormal" experience!

Sorry for the delay, every time I thought I could sit down and write this, something came up that I had to deal with. I finally got some time though.

Anyways, let me start with something that I'd like you all to think about. I've heard plenty of people go on about how ghosts don't exist because "no scientist has proven it" well think about this: how much budget does NASA have? In one year they spend around 15-18 billion dollars in space research, and still there is so much that they have yet to find out... Still so much that we don't know... Still so much yet to be discovered. Now how much do you think has been spent on paranormal research? Less than 1 percent of NASA's single-year budget. If even just a small percent of that money could go to paranormal research, I guarantee you that things would be discovered that we could never even fathom. After hundreds of billions of dollars, NASA has just discovered that there is water on Mars. So, just my opinion, but I really don't think sitting there and saying "Science hasn't proven the paranormal so it's most definitely not real!" isn't very smart when you think about the broader picture.

Also, just a theory of mine, but it's quite possible that spirits and ghosts have been discovered to be real but they are intentionally keeping it from the public. It's understandable because think about it, if there was a high authority figure going up to a podium declaring that spirits and the afterlife did indeed exist, it would also mean that there would be no doubt that religion is for real also. Then, there would be people from different religions saying how their religion is the real religion. Things would boil over and then there would be religious wars the likes no one has ever seen before. Thus World War 3 would begin. So yeah, maybe in the end it is best for people to just have people decide for themselves what they want to believe.

I see that a couple of you are asking why animals and insects aren't spirits. I can't really give a straight answer because I don't really know a ton about it. But then again, why are humans the only species on Earth that is religious? That have invented cutting edge technology? That have turned the world into what how we know it today? I know many people don't think too much about all the technology we have today, but how do you think humans were able to invent all these amazing things? By chance? I think it does make a case that humans do have a bit more higher purpose.

Also, the ooze that Captain Steel is talking about. There is a difference between "paranormal" and "unexplained" and I think your case is more on the "unexplained" side. I don't think it is a paranormal occurrence but rather one that can't be explained.

Unfortunately I'm running out of time again. I know there are quite a few topics I haven't covered yet but I will try to find time tonight to continue this rant.

I once actually did think that I saw a ghost. If I did, it woke me up in the night. And I am not really convinced it was just a figment of my imagination. So, really, it is possible that Tacitus saw a ghost in his old house. His story doesn't sound very convincing, but then again I didn't experience it for myself.

I doubt a lot of ghost claims and I do think there's good reason to be very skeptical, but MAYBE ghosts/the afterlife are real things. Personally, I think hardcore atheism/don't-believe-in-anything attitudes are just a form of trendy, pretentious posturing. Right up there with the people obsessed with TED talks, which is getting on my nerves -- TED talks.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll admit to having Ghost Adventures as one of my guilty pleasures.

It's a load of old toot, really, but the paranormal Dude-Bros carry it off with conviction. They believe it, so who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, every little unexplained occurrence is trumpeted as 'proof' and 'evidence' which hurts their case somewhat. They'd have a field day at Tatty Cottage with the amount of knocks and sounds of rafters settling in the evening I have, and this place is only 30 years old.

Enjoyable hokum, like going to an end-of-the-pier fortune teller.

Or end-of-the-thread, provided I'm not banned.

Also, just a theory of mine, but it's quite possible that spirits and ghosts have been discovered to be real but they are intentionally keeping it from the public. [...] Things would boil over and then there would be religious wars the likes no one has ever seen before.
I agree, wholeheartedly, that ghosts should be investigated using the scientific method, though without the assumption that proof of ghosts being real will come out of it. The facts would simply reveal themselves. Religion will definitely be riding the gravy train if ghosts are proved real, but ... every faith has already declared itself the One, True Belief and the world's still here and turning. What the implications would be, otherwise, from such a discovery, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess. But if any group, or organization is to find that out, it would likely be the real life Ghost Busters:

http://io9.com/5853670/the-tools-of-...fe-ghostbuster

I once actually did think that I saw a ghost. If I did, it woke me up in the night. And I am not really convinced it was just a figment of my imagination. So, really, it is possible that Tacitus saw a ghost in his old house. His story doesn't sound very convincing, but then again I didn't experience it for myself.

I doubt a lot of ghost claims and I do think there's good reason to be very skeptical, but MAYBE ghosts/the afterlife are real things. Personally, I think hardcore atheism/don't-believe-in-anything attitudes are just a form of trendy, pretentious posturing. Right up there with the people obsessed with TED talks, which is getting on my nerves -- TED talks.
That's the thing about personal experiences. It's so easy for people to just hear it and say "nonsense" but bottom line is we don't know what exactly they experienced. I definitely agree that many of them aren't paranormal, but I also believe that there are some that are genuine experiences.

I'll admit to having Ghost Adventures as one of my guilty pleasures.

It's a load of old toot, really, but the paranormal Dude-Bros carry it off with conviction. They believe it, so who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, every little unexplained occurrence is trumpeted as 'proof' and 'evidence' which hurts their case somewhat. They'd have a field day at Tatty Cottage with the amount of knocks and sounds of rafters settling in the evening I have, and this place is only 30 years old.

Yeah I will also admit that I'm a fan of that show. It's very entertaining. I do gotta stop you though when you say that every little thing they do they claim to be proof. They have claimed a few times that many of the stuff they catch is unexplained and not necessarily paranormal. Whenever they do catch footsteps and noises, many times it's labeled "unexplained footsteps" which means that they don't know what is making the sound, and not saying that it's for-sure ghosts making the footsteps. Of course there is a few things they catch that they do claim is paranormal.

I agree, wholeheartedly, that ghosts should be investigated using the scientific method, though without the assumption that proof of ghosts being real will come out of it. The facts would simply reveal themselves. Religion will definitely be riding the gravy train if ghosts are proved real, but ... every faith has already declared itself the One, True Belief and the world's still here and turning. What the implications would be, otherwise, from such a discovery, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess. But if any group, or organization is to find that out, it would likely be the real life Ghost Busters:

http://io9.com/5853670/the-tools-of-...fe-ghostbuster
Yeah I would also love to see a genuine research. It's just that there doesn't seem to be any way to fund it. I guess the reason for that is no one that would back it can really see a way to gain from it. There have been a few attempts I think but they were always really small and weren't very good.

Something that I also believe is that there are some people who are more spiritually aware than others. It comes in varying degrees and I think that the ones with the highest are actual psychics—I won't get into psychics because I know that there are many that are frauds. Anyways, I believe that people with higher spiritual awareness are more susceptible to paranormal encounters. It's sorta like IQ, the higher it is, the higher your spiritual knowledge is.

Shame on you. You've turned your back on your life's work and now you don't even believe in yourself. YOU ARE A GHOST AND YOU KNOW THEY EXIST!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm not arrogant enough to say that there's not ghosts, I mean just because I've never seen them doesn't mean they can't possibly exist. I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie either, but those are real. LOL. I will say that I have my doubts that ghosts are in fact real, but I'd be open to the possibility. I've heard a lot of people say they've had ghostly encounters, and they all can't be making it up, right?

I am not a very spiritually inclined person, I don't really put much stock in the idea of the supernatural. I am a skeptic at heart. But then at the same time, I am totally onboard with the idea of aliens existing. I feel like there's no way they don't exist, maybe not in the little green men way, but there's got to be other life forms out there.

But yeah, dubious on the ghosts though.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Aliens are easier to believe in existing because we know life exists on at least one planet -- OURS.

Considering there's billions and billions of other planets out there... there's no guarantee there's life out there, but, BILLIONS and BILLIONS of planets. Hopefully we don't find the aliens anytime soon -- I'd hate to see all the different movie Hall of Fames featuring films from all of these planets. Although it would be nice to see everyone finally turn their nose away from Asia. "Not cool! It's an Earth movie."

With ghosts... it's kinda different. We only have rumors that ghosts exist. No real evidence, apparently.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Yeah I will also admit that I'm a fan of that show. It's very entertaining. I do gotta stop you though when you say that every little thing they do they claim to be proof. They have claimed a few times that many of the stuff they catch is unexplained and not necessarily paranormal. Whenever they do catch footsteps and noises, many times it's labeled "unexplained footsteps" which means that they don't know what is making the sound, and not saying that it's for-sure ghosts making the footsteps. Of course there is a few things they catch that they do claim is paranormal.
Well, I watch "Ghost Adventures" religiously. I have done so since they had that documentary that was first shown on Syfy years ago (before the series started on Travel Channel). And I agree that they don't claim that everything is proof. They also do debunk things and mark it as having been debunked. But there have been some things that have been caught that have been pretty decent evidence over the years.

And, yes, that is what I will be doing this Saturday night. I will be watching the "Ghost Adventures" Halloween special.

Question:

How many of you believe in some sort of heaven or spiritual afterlife but don't believe in ghost?
I have asked that same question over the years.

Question:

How many of you believe in some sort of heaven or spiritual afterlife but don't believe in ghost?
So much to respond to on this thread & I want to get back to it.
But on this question I can say I like to believe in an afterlife, but don't know anything in that regard.

I feel like there's something beyond this reality - I know that's not empirical, but my "feelings" have a pretty good track record.
I feel like I have a soul that is indestructible, but which is currently comfortably housed in a material form and may not know the combination to the lock that opens this cage (or maybe it knows there's only one sure route to escape the confinement and is unwilling to take it at this time).
I feel like something eternal inhabiting a vulnerable and very finite form.

I do gotta stop you though when you say that every little thing they do they claim to be proof. They have claimed a few times that many of the stuff they catch is unexplained and not necessarily paranormal. Whenever they do catch footsteps and noises, many times it's labeled "unexplained footsteps" which means that they don't know what is making the sound, and not saying that it's for-sure ghosts making the footsteps. Of course there is a few things they catch that they do claim is paranormal.
What about these EVP sessions they do? Every little garbled squeak and fart is labelled evidence with sometimes ludicrous words and sentences attributed to them. Then there's the little round old guy waving an Xbox Kinect...

I've seen every show, most more than once. The most recent show had something quite clearly a bug which they categorically said was not an insect. You could see the wings.

It's reality TV based around the premise of putting three susceptible, genuine dudes in an old house in pitch darkness after priming them with stories of the supernatural. They're three agent Mulders from before the X Files jumped the shark.

Long may they reign.

Question:

I don't believe that there are ghosts haunting houses, but the prospect of somehow existing eternally, after death, is not entirely without its appeal. If it's not as an angel in Eden, or in Hell, then maybe reincarnation is possible, some way. We're really not all that different from one another, after all. Even among people who still live, I've seen their almost exact copies, personality-wise, more times than I can remember.

Even I get mistaken for others. One lady actually thought I was this other person who was playing her the fool, by denying that I was really them! And I'm thinking ... "how can't you see the difference, you're barely a yard away? You mean my voice is the same and my mannerisms, too? Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?" In my view, we all can "come back." But I can't figure out a mechanism that would ensure that we do. And that depresses the living hell out of me.

With ghosts... it's kinda different. We only have rumors that ghosts exist. No real evidence, apparently.
The thing is there has been proof, it's just that people don't want to give it a chance and automatically say it's fabricated. I remember seeing this one piece of footage that was taken in like the 80's I think where this guy was recording and a huge black mass just materialized in front of him in a well-lit room. It was pretty crazy looking.

Question:

I have a friend that pretty much said that he doesn't believe in ghosts but he believes that there is a God. I asked him why and he said kinda had a lame answer, the old "Oh no one has proved ghosts exist" tripe but then he just said that there's too "amazing things" that happened that there's no way a God doesn't exist. I thought he was kinda contradicting himself.

For me I do believe both exist, though my views on religion/the after I guess are a bit different.

So much to respond to on this thread & I want to get back to it.
But on this question I can say I like to believe in an afterlife, but don't know anything in that regard.

I feel like there's something beyond this reality - I know that's not empirical, but my "feelings" have a pretty good track record.
I feel like I have a soul that is indestructible, but which is currently comfortably housed in a material form and may not know the combination to the lock that opens this cage (or maybe it knows there's only one sure route to escape the confinement and is unwilling to take it at this time).
I feel like something eternal inhabiting a vulnerable and very finite form.
Over the years, I have learned that spirituality is a very personal thing. You have to find it yourself—no one's gonna go on live TV or internet or whatever and give you all the answers.

What about these EVP sessions they do? Every little garbled squeak and fart is labelled evidence with sometimes ludicrous words and sentences attributed to them. Then there's the little round old guy waving an Xbox Kinect...
I've never tried EVP so I can't really say how often they really do come up. I've been wanting to try EVP myself to see if it'd work for me, but until then I can't really answer on just how much they do happen.

Oh and the Kinect thing, I barely remember that particular one but Ghost Adventures often try out different "experiments" from paranormal inventors. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It seems like the Spirit Box was the only experiment that really took off and they use that all the time now.

I don't believe that there are ghosts haunting houses, but the prospect of somehow existing eternally, after death, is not entirely without its appeal. If it's not as an angel in Eden, or in Hell, then maybe reincarnation is possible, some way. We're really not all that different from one another, after all. Even among people who still live, I've seen their almost exact copies, personality-wise, more times than I can remember.

Even I get mistaken for others. One lady actually thought I was this other person who was playing her the fool, by denying that I was really them! And I'm thinking ... "how can't you see the difference, you're barely a yard away? You mean my voice is the same and my mannerisms, too? Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?" In my view, we all can "come back." But I can't figure out a mechanism that would ensure that we do. And that depresses the living hell out of me.
For me, reincarnation was one thing I kinda doubted. I'm in no way saying that it's not real; for some reason though, I've had a hard time accepting the idea. Nowadays I am more open to it being real though.

Well, I watch "Ghost Adventures" religiously. I have done so since they had that documentary that was first shown on Syfy years ago (before the series started on Travel Channel). And I agree that they don't claim that everything is proof. They also do debunk things and mark it as having been debunked. But there have been some things that have been caught that have been pretty decent evidence over the years.

And, yes, that is what I will be doing this Saturday night. I will be watching the "Ghost Adventures" Halloween special.
I will be watching too! (or at least recording it and watching it later)

I've never tried EVP so I can't really say how often they really do come up. I've been wanting to try EVP myself to see if it'd work for me, but until then I can't really answer on just how much they do happen.

Oh and the Kinect thing, I barely remember that particular one but Ghost Adventures often try out different "experiments" from paranormal inventors. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It seems like the Spirit Box was the only experiment that really took off and they use that all the time now.
They try EVPs in pretty much every episode and recently they're using the little inventor guy like a member of the team. Any time you see them illuminated by 100s of tiny infra-red spots, it's the Kinect camera.

Ghosts are obviously big fans of Dance Central. And so they should be.