Characters who are good people but people think they're evil

Tools    

Stannis Baratheon - Game of Thrones

As a young boy stannous awaited his parents to return home. As he caught sight of there ship it suddenly crashed and he bearded witness to his parents death. In his grief when he needed his older brother the most his older brother abandoned him and Stannis was left to look after his younger brother Renley. The way I see it' this is the only character that is more loyal than that ned stark. A man who would rather eat horses dogs rats and even his own shoes then give up a castle. All for his brother the king Who he despises yet is loyal too because duty commands it. In the famous words of Stannis "Big or small we must do our duty " Stannis is a man of few words but strong actions. But unfortunately Game of Thrones fans are under the miss conception that Stannis is a power hungry evil man who sacrificed his own daughter. But again in the words of stannis what is one life in the name of the kingdom. Stannis did what he did to save all from darkness. Evan sacrificing his own soul in the process by giving up his daughter Shareen. But for a man as loyal as Stannis his brother the king gave the castle storms end too his younger brother Renley Who had done nothing to contribute and was only six years old at the time. So you could imagine the betrayal that Stannis felt. And the betrayal he felt once again when all his troubles were for nothing as the red woman's visions in the flames were misinterpreted.

What film or TV characters do you feel fans don't understand and why ?

I would argue that Daniel Plainview (There Will be Blood) didnt start out as evil. Greed totally corrupted him and turned him from a family man into a ruthless individual. At the end, after he pushes away his son, you can tell deep down he regrets it, and despite the fact that he cruely tells his son he never cared about him, his emotions say otherwise. He has the flashbacks of playing with his son when he was a child, and you can tell he did in fact love him. The built up anger over pushing away his son spurs him to snap and kill Eli in the final scene.

Just like Charles Foster Kane, behind all the money and the power, Plainview lost himself and was internally miserable. And that was the whole point of the movie.

I would argue that Daniel Plainview (There Will be Blood) didnt start out as evil. Greed totally corrupted him and turned him from a family man into a ruthless individual. At the end, after he pushes away his son, you can tell deep down he regrets it, and despite the fact that he cruely tells his son he never cared about him, his emotions say otherwise. He has the flashbacks of playing with his son when he was a child, and you can tell he did in fact love him. The built up anger over pushing away his son spurs him to snap and kill Eli in the final scene.

Just like Charles Foster Kane, behind all the money and the power, Plainview lost himself and was internally miserable. And that was the whole point of the movie.
A very nice summary of there will be blood. same moral to the story of citizen Kane but at least he took out his aggression smashing up a room rather than taking a bowling pin too a man's head.

A very nice summary of there will be blood. same moral to the story of citizen Kane but at least he took out his aggression smashing up a room rather than taking a bowling pin too a man's head.
Without question Plainview had more of a dark side to him than Kane.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Darth Vader, slaughters a load of Jedi kids and loads of other atrocities but turns good in the end, who knew.

Darth Vader, slaughters a load of Jedi kids and loads of other atrocities but turns good in the end, who knew.
In return of the Jedi he's sort of redeemed as a character but slaughtering kids there is no coming back from that i'm surprised his soul was pure enough to come back as a force ghost. Damn great character though

Stannis Baratheon - Game of Thrones

As a young boy stannous awaited his parents to return home. As he caught sight of there ship it suddenly crashed and he bearded witness to his parents death. In his grief when he needed his older brother the most his older brother abandoned him and Stannis was left to look after his younger brother Renley. The way I see it' this is the only character that is more loyal than that ned stark. A man who would rather eat horses dogs rats and even his own shoes then give up a castle. All for his brother the king Who he despises yet is loyal too because duty commands it. In the famous words of Stannis "Big or small we must do our duty " Stannis is a man of few words but strong actions. But unfortunately Game of Thrones fans are under the miss conception that Stannis is a power hungry evil man who sacrificed his own daughter. But again in the words of stannis what is one life in the name of the kingdom. Stannis did what he did to save all from darkness. Evan sacrificing his own soul in the process by giving up his daughter Shareen. But for a man as loyal as Stannis his brother the king gave the castle storms end too his younger brother Renley Who had done nothing to contribute and was only six years old at the time. So you could imagine the betrayal that Stannis felt. And the betrayal he felt once again when all his troubles were for nothing as the red woman's visions in the flames were misinterpreted.

What film or TV characters do you feel fans don't understand and why ?
Stannis is one of my favourite characters from GOT. The man who would have made a great King and understood the threat from the North and was the only one tried to help, "The King who cared". The book version doesn't burn his daughter, at least not yet. The man who as you say wanted to be King out of duty and rightful claim unlike Renly, the true cause of the fall of house Baratheon.

Another great character is Maester Aemon, a man who has many years before given up his right to the throne. You have this mind blowing moment where you wonder "what if" Aemon had taken the throne and had been a great wise old King, would it have corrupted him, everything that had happened in last 40 years of GOT would have been different.

In return of the Jedi he's sort of redeemed as a character but slaughtering kids there is no coming back from that i'm surprised his soul was pure enough to come back as a force ghost. Damn great character though
It is simply bad storytelling by George Lucas, unfortunately he was surrounded by weak Yes men for the 2nd trilogy.

Nurse Ratched. She is no good. But, she is not THAT bad. No.5.on AFI list of greatest villains ever??! I always thought McMurphy was way worse than Ratched. McMurphy was lazy rapist and small time crimos. One can tell that Ratched was only doing his job.

ALL robots. They are only robots. They supposed to be kliing machines. I dont find them evil.
Roy Batty,Hal 9000,T 800,T 1000...

Sgt Hartman. Why the hell ANYBODY would think he was villain in FMJ?? He was only doing HIS JOB. Sure, he is harsh. But,if you must prepare people.to WAR, you can't be generous.

Woo Jin Lee. Little bit. I don't remember he ever kill or torture innocent people.

Angel Eyes. Sure he's emotionless killer. In wild west you must be if you wonna survive. I always found him as solo player trying survive. He is evil sociopath and villain, nevertheless. Not THAT evil. For me, Tuco was true villian.

Frank Booth. Just kidding..

Little Bill Daggett. He was only building house.

Colin Sullivan. His WHOLE life was controled by Costello. He didn't have any choice, actually.

Nurse Ratched. She is no good. But, she is not THAT bad. No.5.on AFI list of greatest villains ever??! I always thought McMurphy was way worse than Ratched. McMurphy was lazy rapist and small time crimos. One can tell that Ratched was only doing his job.
What?!

Stannis is one of my favourite characters from GOT. The man who would have made a great King and understood the threat from the North and was the only one tried to help, "The King who cared". The book version doesn't burn his daughter, at least not yet. The man who as you say wanted to be King out of duty and rightful claim unlike Renly, the true cause of the fall of house Baratheon.

Another great character is Maester Aemon, a man who has many years before given up his right to the throne. You have this mind blowing moment where you wonder "what if" Aemon had taken the throne and had been a great wise old King, would it have corrupted him, everything that had happened in last 40 years of GOT would have been different.
He certainly was the king who cared I find myself defending him from misguided Game of Thrones fans all the time. Definitely the most underrated character but the most overrated for me has to be The Queen of dragons she is bossy self intitled and she doesn't earn her victories. And if it weren't for Sir Jorah and her family name she would've gotten anywhere but she consistently makes terrible decisions. Especially when she banishers Jorah for a mistake he made years ago even though she knows that he is committed to her and would die for her if he could. And when she burns that witch at the stake just for avenging her community it makes me wonder how anyone could route for her. Her dragons should be sold at auction to someone who deserves them. And Aemon is a great character. it would be cool if Bran had a vision of a parallel world where Aemon did take up the iorn throne and we found out he was no longer blind just blind on the inside due to years of greed that he never would've acquired if he refused the throne.

ALL robots. They are only robots. They supposed to be kliing machines. I dont find them evil.
Roy Batty,Hal 9000,T 800,T 1000...
Yeah the evil part is coming from the human creator. Same thing with David in Prometheus.

Little Bill Daggett. He was only building house.

This gave me a good laugh — I needed one. I found Prime Cut the other day and I was laughing at Lee Marvin bitch-slapping Hackman across the face. I love that film.

I would think you can have evil Force ghosts though – in fact haven't they been shown in the animated episodes? – just as you can have evil spirits.

Sorsha in Willow is another good example I think. She's nothing if not complicit in all the butchery but like Vader comes through at the end. And looks hot while she's doing it, unlike Vader.

satan