Damien Chazelle

Tools    

But can't we agree that Emma Stone is still dazzling even after reflection?
Yes!

To anyone who has seen La La Land, I need input on one scene. It may make or break this film for me.
I saw it twice, over the weekend. Once on Friday afternoon, and again on Sunday.

WARNING: "Scene" spoilers below
My two favorite musical genres are jazz and electronic music.

So that scene in the recording studio, blending the two, should have been sweet nectar for me. Unfortunately, when he pressed the pad controller it obviously sounded like crap, like it was mocking electronic music. So, is this movie anti-electronic music? If so, that really irks me. After this scene, I started wondering if the movie was anti-modern, and I really hope that's just me overthinking things.

Hopefully someone can give me some perspective. The scene felt confused to me because employed the electronic music, and it sounded like it was mocking electronic music... then after he talks to Gosling about how music is all about being progressive and embracing the new. Which is 100% true.

Then he joins the band, which causes things to fall apart for him.

So WTF is Chazelle trying to say?
WARNING: spoilers below
Certainly Gosling's character doesn't like John Legend's character's music, which is the point of that studio scene, how jarring it is for his character and how far it is from what his dream and vision and taste are. When they get to the concert a few scenes later, "Start a Fire" is a very good song and, most importantly to the story, the crowd loves it.

As for WTF Chazelle is saying, interpret his attitudes towards music and film styles how you will, but what the fu*k he is saying in the narrative of the film is crystal clear.

Legend's band is a success, and Gosling's Sebastian has a "steady job". Seb has misinterpreted Emma Stone's character Mia's feelings towards goals. Most directly this stems from the phone conversation he overheard with her mother just before he decides to go to the studio, her placating her Mom with hushed tones about his not being able to start his own club, yet. Not having a conversation with Mia about it, he decides to take the gig with the band even though it isn't music in his style or making a contribution that challenges or inspires him. From Seb's point of view, he has quashed his own dreams in exchange for money and to make Mia happy and more secure. And because living in that crummy apartment with the stain on the ceiling he realizes he can't get to his goal the way he is going.

But it all comes to a head in the big fight when he surprises her with dinner at the apartment. Mia, not understanding the recording and music world, didn't realize he would be on the road for potentially years and thus he would be deferring his dream for that long. To her, being in that band was a fancier, better-paying version of working in the coffee shop or the '80s cover band she saw at the party. Make money until you have the opportunity or means to take the next steps towards your dream, but always be working towards that. Seb knew it was more complicated and time consuming than that when it came to signing a contract, that it did mean turning off that portion of himself for a while. But since Mia likes that kind of music and it is popular, he agreed. At the same time he didn't really understand the longer term ins and outs of her pursuing her acting dreams, thinking "can't you do that anywhere?". They are both supportive of the other's goals, even if they don't fully understand them, but that gap of understanding leads to this conflict. Once she gets her break, she will have to devote her heart and soul to that opportunity completely. They come to realize this is a natural place to split, even thought they love and support each other.

In the final section of the film, that five years later we see that ultimately both are successful and achieved their dreams at the sacrifice of their relationship, it is bittersweet. It is exactly what they both needed to do. Had they not met and fallen in love when they did at the critical moment, he probably wouldn't have taken the gig in the band that allowed him to get to the point where he could actually open his club and she might not have had the strength without his encouragement and support in that low moment of wanting to give up to nail the audition that finally broke her. Their love for each other is the final step that allowed their dreams to come true. Just not together.

As for if Chazelle is knocking more progressive music than BeBop Jazz, no, I don't think he is. As a character Sebastian doesn't care for it and prefers to keep the Jazz he loves alive the way he knows how, but John Legend's character Keith nor his band nor his success are mocked. They are simply different than what Seb wants. No better or worse, just different. Keith's speech about embracing the new is his character's path and truth, and he wouldn't be any more fulfilled and inspired playing in the style of Kenny Burrell or Wes Montgomery in a dark club in L.A. than Sebastian would be on that tour. But there is room in the world for both, which is good because both can follow their passions and be happy and successful. Keith isn't making his music just because it makes him rich and famous, he is following his passion. Which is why his music is good and fulfills him. It's just not Seb's path.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That makes total sense, thanks Holden. I was just a little unclear. I know the overarching theme had to do with Gosling pursuing his dream, but I was just confused by the recording scene.

Hope it didn't come off like I was knocking Chazelle or this movie too much. Even though I think Chazelle has yet to really prove himself, I still think he's a very talented and ambitious director, and this movie is evidence of that. It's a very interesting flick with lots to like and even love.