Who's the greatest living actress?

Tools    

Who is the greatest actress? To qualify she has to be living and still working in movies.

Some potentials:

Frances McDormand
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Olivia Coleman
Tilda Swinton
Maggie Smith
Annette Benning
Diane Weist

I think Meryl Streep probably has the most claim to that title. I'd definitely put her ahead of the names already mentioned.

I think Meryl Streep probably has the most claim to that title. I'd definitely put her ahead of the names already mentioned.
I was shocked that the first two lists posted both omitted Streep.

I agree with Naomi Watts.

Nicole Kidman
angelina jolie
kate winslet/charlize theron/emily blunt/halle berry

i also think kiera knightley is pretty good
I think amanda sey-something could be really great given the right roles

She would make a perfect Hillary Clinton.
I was thinking in particular of the way she changes so drastically in certain roles. I mean Margaret Thatcher was obviously a fantastic performance and she's so good at adopting different accents. I don't profess to be an expert on her acting roles or anything but just from the little I've seen it's pretty obvious how capable she is. I like actors who change, which is why I always appreciated Gary Oldman, amongst a very few others.

Who is the greatest actress? To qualify she has to be living and still working in movies.

Meryl Streep

Some potentials:

Frances McDormand
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Olivia Coleman
Tilda Swinton
Maggie Smith
Annette Benning
Diane Weist
I corrected that for ya'

I corrected that for ya'
To clarify, my list wasn't definitive. I was just putting a few names out there. But Streep definitely deserves to be up there. What are her top 3 performances?

To clarify, my list wasn't definitive. I was just putting a few names out there. But Streep definitely deserves to be up there. What are her top 3 performances?
In no order...Sophie's Choice, One True Thing, and The Bridges Of Madison County. Great in Silkwood but Madison County she did a better job in the lead imo. I havent seen all her stuff, like The Iron Lady.

In no order...Sophie's Choice, One True Thing, and The Bridges Of Madison County. Great in Silkwood but Madison County she did a better job in the lead imo. I havent seen all her stuff, like The Iron Lady.
Am I the only person on the planet who HATED The Bridges of Madison County?

i dont think shes that great.
Same. And i hate that she is the go-to great actress when half of the people who say so haven't seen her in much.

This is not about anyone here, really.

Am I the only person on the planet who HATED The Bridges of Madison County?
So what we are talking about is going to get bumped to another page even though it will take Gideon 6 months to realize someone has responded to him? Cool.

There was an episode of every sitcom ever made with a memory box, a box that you place something in and a decade later you laugh at yourself for being so silly.

We should all post stuff in random threads for Gideon to respond to.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Meryl Streep.........not that great?!
I totally forgot about her to be honest

She is utterly fantastic as well, but not all of the time quite so much. She doesn't deserve quite a few of her Oscar noms, in my opinion. She could be "woman walking across street" in her next film and they'd probably throw her a nom.

But she's certainly up there, although I still think I'd choose Cate Blanchett, Maggie Cheung, and maybe Marion Cotillard over her as well.