Dead Man (1995)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Phantom of the Opera (2004)
A Very Long Engagement (2004)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (2002)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I have a tie, the better of the Two has to be Garden State. The other was Batman Begins, not because it was a great movie, but it was the fist time I have seen a movie on an IMAX Screen. The best part was the theater was practically empty. I had my pick of seats.

The best movie I have seen this year is Dummy... but that's a 2003 movie which I checked out at the library.

So, for 2005, even though I haven't seen many films this year: Sin City

2005 really hasn't been the best movie ever, but one I really liked was The Interpretor. I really like Nicole Kidman and international relations so that proabably had something to with it. Overall the movie had a lot of suspence and a good story I thought.

--------------------------------
Check this movie out yo:: kisskiss-bangbang.warnerbros.com

District B13
Best movies I have seen this year:

Wedding Crashers, the boxing movie with Russell Crowe and Zellweger.

That's about it.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by FelixS
solaris by tarkovsky? i have had real trouble finding that movie, i want to se it so bad.

Yup. I believe we ordered it from Bestprices.com

We also own the remake, which I think is great as well. The Tarkovsky is the definitive version, to be sure, but both are great, IMO.

District B13
Netflix has both solaris.

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
I just discovered Netflix recently.

Not that anyone is interested but this is my queu.

1. The Usual Suspects (my midterm is on low angle framing and audience bias to increase mystery of plot)
2. Alien (I'm doing a 1979 film fest, the warriors, apocalypse now, etc.)
3. The Interpreter (never saw this movie, but it's my mother's choice)
4. M (never seen it, should be great)
5. I was a fugitive from a chain gang (the first political movie?)
6. On the Waterfront (never saw it, but my mother's choice)

In case any of you care

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So far (year isn't quite over, best film could be to come...)

In cinemas:

Sin City
Pride and Prejudice
Serenity
Wedding Crashers

On dvd:

City of God
Breaking the Waves
Show Me Love
Strictly Ballroom
Cabaret

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
the boxing movie with Russell Crowe and Zellweger.
It's called Cinderella Man* and I didn't think it was that great

Some good movies I saw on DVD

The Phantom of the Opera
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
Dogtown and Z-Boys
Born into Brothels
House of Flying Daggers

From this year: Capote

Not this year: Elephant

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
I just discovered Netflix recently.

Not that anyone is interested but this is my queu.

1. The Usual Suspects (my midterm is on low angle framing and audience bias to increase mystery of plot)
2. Alien (I'm doing a 1979 film fest, the warriors, apocalypse now, etc.)
3. The Interpreter (never saw this movie, but it's my mother's choice)
4. M (never seen it, should be great)
5. I was a fugitive from a chain gang (the first political movie?)
6. On the Waterfront (never saw it, but my mother's choice)

In case any of you care
Well, some do. Dig up the Netflix circle of love thread and we can add you to friends on Netflix, then we can scope out one another's queues at our leisure....

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
Well, some do. Dig up the Netflix circle of love thread and we can add you to friends on Netflix, then we can scope out one another's queues at our leisure....

Controlled by my mother, who's friend list includes a woman her age who watches romance movies and classic movies, and an older woman (if that's possible :P) who only watches classic romance movies.

I talked to her about creating my sub group or letting me have my own, she got pissed, so that won't work.

Once I get my credit card, however, I'll definetly do the whole netflix scoop.

BTW the interpreter was surprisingly average as I predicted, I never predict movie quality, so I was astonished.

And Alien..... Well, I'm in love with the set builders, but the only good directorial feature on that film was the butt crack, and I hate looking at butt cracks, even Sigourney Weaver Butt Cracks.

In my opinion this has been a pretty sad and pathetic year as far as movies go. Plenty of formulaic crap starring crappy actors who used to have shows on Nickelodeon. Due to ticket prices($7.50 for a matinee at the local AMC) and the quality of films I haven't been to the theatres for months. The last movie I saw on the big screen was The Island which soldified in my mind that Michael Bay is the Anti Christ of Cinema. I will however be at the theatres this weekend for Jarhead, but if it sucks I may stop going to the theatres altogether and start waiting for movies to come out on DVD.

Best this Year
Batman Begins
Sin City

Worst this Year
Fantastic Four
The Island

Get off my island
I liked Crash, though it dragged a little at times. My favourite movie of the year though has to be Serenity. It gave me all the pathos, the laughs, the tears and thrills that Star Wars couldn't quite achieve. Overall, I'm generally disappointed it got so ignored by the average American.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

In my opinion this has been a pretty sad and pathetic year as far as movies go.
I couldn't disagree more Romeo. I think this has been an outstanding year for movies, one of the best I can remember actually. StarWars III, Batman:Begins, SinCity, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Wedding Crashers...I haven't been to the theatre this much in one year since probably 1987. And with Harry Potter 4, Underworld 2 and King Kong still to come, this could turn out to be a record breaking year for the box office coffers and my attendance to the local theatre.

District B13
Everyone is forgetting narnia which will surely be the next Lord of the Rings.

Once Narnia comes out, it will set the standard in what a good film of the year is, just like Lord of the Rings did.