Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Crimson Peak (2015)

Solid gothic horror from Del Toro. Its no Pans Labyrinth but the visuals are (nearly) equally stunning.

I was a little let down by this film, it was essentially a love story and not a Gothic Horror. At least for me it was.

Suspect's Reviews

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Fragment of an Empire (1929) by Fridrikh Ermler
The scene of him remembering his wife is the best scene ever!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

300 Mil do Nieba (1989)

Powerful but bleak. Drags in parts but still an emotional experience.

Big + for Polish movie. I'm happy everytime when I see some here
(even if I disagree with rating - mine is about 4.5 )

Unregistered User
I was a little let down by this film, it was essentially a love story and not a Gothic Horror. At least for me it was.

True but look through a list of gothic horrors and there are many that have a love story of some kind. I actually came out of it quite impressed. I honestly cant even think of another recent Gothic Horror that I enjoyed. I can see your point though as there wasn't really enough of the horror element.

Edit. The Orphanage was fairly good.

Unregistered User
Big + for Polish movie. I'm happy everytime when I see some here
(even if I disagree with rating - mine is about 4.5 )

Looking back it is probably a bit of a harsh rating. I'll bump it up to a
+ and an extra + just for you Ms.M, so it now becomes a

I actually have The Debt (1999) to watch soon too. Looks good.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Looking back it is probably a bit of a harsh rating. I'll bump it up to a
+ and an extra + just for you Ms.M, so it now becomes a

I actually have The Debt (1999) to watch soon too. Looks good.
That's very kind of You, Samoan. I approve

The Debt is disturbing. I watched it few years after premiere, because it was based on a true story (like 300 mil do nieba). This case was in every newspaper and tv chanel. As it is brutal and kind of true, I had to wait with watching it.

+
Friendship could be very odd relationship.
I've been wanting to watch that one too....Mrs Rules said she wants to watch that one. I keep hoping it will get nominated in an HoF.

Glad you liked it Ms M

Unregistered User
That's very kind of You, Samoan. I approve

The Debt is disturbing. I watched it few years after premiere, because it was based on true story (like 300 mil do nieba). This case was in every newspaper and tv chanel. As it is brutal and kind of true, I had to wait with watching it.

Yes I heard it was based on a true story and that's what made me want to watch even more.Sounds like something I'll enjoy. Hopefully I'll get round to it soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
True but look through a list of gothic horrors and there are many that have a love story of some kind. I actually came out of it quite impressed. I honestly cant even think of another recent Gothic Horror that I enjoyed. I can see your point though as there wasn't really enough of the horror element.

Edit. The Orphanage was fairly good.
It was also shot in my hometown. It's weird to see places you've been to as part of a film set in the 1800's.

I've been wanting to watch that one too....Mrs Rules said she wants to watch that one. I keep hoping it will get nominated in an HoF.

Glad you liked it Ms M
Same here. The 400 Blows is one of my favourite films and i've yet to watch a second Truffaut. Should do that soon i always forget about him for some reason.

Unregistered User
It was also shot in my hometown. It's weird to see places you've been to as part of a film set in the 1800's.
That’s cool. There’s a few over here too. Loads of Game Of Thrones scenes are nearby and most recently bits High Rise was filmed here.

The Dorm That Dripped Blood aka Death Dorm aka Pranks (Jeffrey Obrow & Stephen Carpenter, 1982)
+
Needed to ooze rather than drip

I thought this was going to be about the Kennedy assassination, but I was wrong. Peep Show (1965) ended up being the most avant garde gangster/film noir I have ever seen. Being about 1 minute of originally shot footage, the majority of the Peep Show is made up of archive newsreel footage and clips from other films (Definitely spotted: Dark Passage, Underworld, USA, The Man with the Golden Arm, and Touch of Evil). The New York Times did a great article on the film a while back when Peep Show was thrusted from obscurity in 2005.

Clocking in at a scant 45 minutes, Peep Show is a quick watch. Though completely amateurish, it is a film that feels ahead of its time. Some of the techniques used with voice over and archive footage is reminiscent of both Martin Scorsese and Oliver Stone. The frame of the story would make an interesting movie if more professionally done. If you subscribe to Fandor, you can find Peep Show on there, and I highly recommend you checking it out. It's safe to say it's unlike anything you've seen before.

RATING:

The Disaster Artist (2017) -

The real questions you have about The Room might not be answered, but you'll certainly see the film in a new light after The Disaster Artist.

Frequently referred to as one of the worst films ever made, Tommy Wiseau's The Room is incredibly fascinating to watch. I don't think any other film manages to embody the phrase "so bad it's good" as well as it does. Naturally, I've been looking forward to seeing the story behind how the film came together.

James Franco does an amazing Tommy Wiseau, and he's portrayed just as strangely as I'd imagined he would act, while also being both more sympathetic, and more intimidating than I was expecting. The film focuses more on how he met Greg Sestero, and the events leading up to The Room, but I think it did a good job balancing their friendship and personal drama with the "making of" elements that brought me to the theatre. I think viewers need to be at least passingly familiar with The Room to really get the most out of The Disaster Artist, so I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first time hearing about his film. Otherwise, it's an interesting and pleasant watch.

I didn't actually watch it but i had The Godfather on in the background while i was doing housework (yes it's basically music to me now) and it's still the best film. It was largely like listening to the film think i properly focused on the screen maybe twice during it. The thing i was hyperaware of this time was Tom Hagen, i've always known this but i really like how he's a crappy consigliere that keeps up the BS man of honour image Vito exudes making it seem like things would be different if they just listened to him. Toms advice to Sonny on the face of it seems great since he's passive like Vito later and he's calm in delivering it while Sonny is losing his mind but it's not actually in the spirit of Vito at all (despite the delivery) which is why Michael his spiritual successor disagrees with Tom himself. Toms advice is because of a weakening Corleone family, Vito's passive scene is when the family is at its weakest way past that point and he's still incredibly strong in his message assuring everyone in the room if anything happens to Michael he's coming after them. It's definitely a case of Tom + Sonny = Vito, Michael has his flaws throughout the series, Vito is almost like a mythical figure like the Michael in Godfather 3 is recollecting his memories of everything at the end on the chair as he dies.

Still the best film even though i just listened to it

James Franco does an amazing Tommy Wiseau, and he's portrayed just as strangely as I'd imagined he would act,
Good to hear. Must admit i've been skeptical because he's not nearly weird enough in the trailer, he came across like me or one of my friends doing an impression of Wiseau. Understand that Wiseau is otherworldly though, truly emodying him would be best performance of all time material.

Oh yeah i forgot to say, the worst audio related mistake in The Godfather i noticed was the hooker Tattaglia was with when he was killed screaming before they even try to enter the room, it was the exact same scream after a one second break when they burst in.

The Disaster Artist (2017) -

The real questions you have about The Room might not be answered, but you'll certainly see the film in a new light after The Disaster Artist.

Frequently referred to as one of the worst films ever made, Tommy Wiseau's The Room is incredibly fascinating to watch. I don't think any other film manages to embody the phrase "so bad it's good" as well as it does. Naturally, I've been looking forward to seeing the story behind how the film came together.

James Franco does an amazing Tommy Wiseau, and he's portrayed just as strangely as I'd imagined he would act, while also being both more sympathetic, and more intimidating than I was expecting. The film focuses more on how he met Greg Sestero, and the events leading up to The Room, but I think it did a good job balancing their friendship and personal drama with the "making of" elements that brought me to the theatre. I think viewers need to be at least passingly familiar with The Room to really get the most out of The Disaster Artist, so I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first time hearing about his film. Otherwise, it's an interesting and pleasant watch.
3 hours into the audiobook and its really interesting and entertaining. I might see the movie I might not.