Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Who among us doesn't root for Burke in Aliens?
I only have room for one '80s action movie scumbag in my heart.

Stu, I have not watched your video. It is late where I am. Perhaps another day.

I think a certain other Texan took all the attention with the timing of his vacation...
Yup, Ted fled that state just like Billy Zane:

The Lighthouse (2019, Robert Eggers)

Finally got around to seeing this, and damn, what a gloriously deranged powerhouse of a film. Masterful execution by Eggers, the two leads (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe) are absolutely on point, the mystery is compelling, the pacing and editing are perfect, and of course the black-and-white cinematography... definitely some Tarkovsky vibes there, and a bit of Bela Tarr as well, albeit without the long takes.
One of the best movies I've seen recently.

'Song without a Name' (2020)

Harrowing film about a Peruvian woman searching for her baby that was snatched at birth. Presented in black and white 4:3, some shots are reminiscent of Cuaron's 'Roma', and other linger like Bela Tarr. It's a beautifully shot film, and although the ending feels slightly rushed, it's a must see for fans of World Cinema. Director Melina León's own father was part of the investigative journalism team that try and report the story. It's her first ever feature, and quite a debut.

The Dig (2021)

Interesting film with solid and believable performances. Liked it. Fiennes seems to get better with age.

Victim of The Night

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, 1978

Added this to my queue last night on your recommendation.
I have not watched one of these films in over 30 years. So you better be right.

Victim of The Night
Sometimes the reviews just write themselves!
One of my all-time favorites was for Snow Falling On Cedars:
"Paint Drying On Walls."

Victim of The Night

Yojimbo

Killing is my business....and business is good. Wanted to see this forever and figured it would best get it in before the next countdown. Also, I have not seen the Sergio/Clint version so this was all new to me. A samurai (Toshiro Mifune) starts a bidding war between two warring clans who would like his services. He's not terribly interested in helping either clan, he just wants to up his price, so he plays them against each other. He has a few other things up his sleeve, as well, and that's the fun of Yojimbo. How is it all going to unfold? Nothing wrong with this movie. Like the other Kurosawa films I've seen this movie feels ahead of its time. When it comes to filling up a frame there's Kurosawa and Kubrick, then everybody else. Every shot looks fantastic. I know b&w foreign films can be a tough sell but if I'm going to introduce somebody to them, somebody who has very little interest in them, Kurosawa is the guy I'm going with first. Mifune is again outstanding.

and what would a weekend be without at least one classic:

aka Howling II: Stirba: Werewolf Bitch. Not quite on par with Yojimbo but it was a lot of fun in a so bad it's good horror flick. Christopher Lee, playing it totally straight, is a werewolf hunter who travels to Transylvania (why not) to hunt down an old adversary: Stirba: Werewolf Bitch (Sybil Danning). That's pretty much all you need to know. The story is ridiculous, but fun and they throw enough silly stuff out there to keep it from ever getting boring. The gore fx are all pretty cheesy but get an A for effort. They're fun. The music is pretty good but that's to be expected from any band featuring a keytar. I've never been a big fan of Sybil but she does pretty good here even though she isn't asked to do much (basically, look outstanding). That striped outfit is the cat's meow even if it does make her look like a backup singer for a bad 80's Christian rock band. Have to mention that all the werewolves (over)acting like dogs when they are in their human form is pretty funny and was a nice touch. Only thing missing was some butt sniffing, which would have bumped this into 5 star territory, but you have to draw a line somewhere, I guess. Maybe that's in one of the 6 Howling movies I haven't yet seen. Normally a film like Yojimbo would throw the curve but not today - on a curve it's a solid
I have never seen Howling II because I'm a fairly big fan of The Howling (which, by the way, both Siskel and Ebert gave thumbs up to) and I just didn't wanna see it dropped down a whole level.
But if you say it was fun, I may give this a spin.

Yojimbo is next on my Kurosawa watch-list so I look forward to that. Agree about both Kurosawa and Mifune, who I think has to be one of the great all-time movie-stars the way he commands the screen.

Victim of The Night
Thanks, man. Sucks a lot but could've been so much worse.
I appreciate your good attitude about this, but like everyone else, I feel really bad for you, those are actually pretty intense stressors people do not need in this life. I wish for a quick and satisfactory resolution for you and a return to normalcy.

Victim of The Night
When life gives you lemons, eh? BTW, speaking of The Howling 2, have you ever seen this, Rock-O?:

It's legitimately one of my favorite videos I've come across on the Tube.
Ok, never mind, there's no ****ing way I'm watching this movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Patrice O'Neal: Killing Is Easy - 8/10
Well done, I had a feeling with Bill Burr producing it wouldn't be watered down.. I'm more a fan of him than his comedy, because he told his truth, and wasn't worried about playing the game too much. Watch the unedited version if you can..

The Lighthouse (2019, Robert Eggers)

Finally got around to seeing this, and damn, what a gloriously deranged powerhouse of a film. Masterful execution by Eggers, the two leads (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe) are absolutely on point, the mystery is compelling, the pacing and editing are perfect, and of course the black-and-white cinematography... definitely some Tarkovsky vibes there, and a bit of Bela Tarr as well, albeit without the long takes.
One of the best movies I've seen recently.
Yes, a great mix of dark comedy, straight up comedy, intentional weirdness, and a bonkers-but-coherent internal mythology.

Added this to my queue last night on your recommendation.
I have not watched one of these films in over 30 years. So you better be right.
When am I ever not absolutely 100% correct in everything I say and/or do? Huh? HUH?!

'Song without a Name' (2020)

Harrowing film about a Peruvian woman searching for her baby that was snatched at birth. Presented in black and white 4:3, some shots are reminiscent of Cuaron's 'Roma', and other linger like Bela Tarr. It's a beautifully shot film, and although the ending feels slightly rushed, it's a must see for fans of World Cinema. Director Melina León's own father was part of the investigative journalism team that try and report the story. It's her first ever feature, and quite a debut.

Will have to look for this. Never heard of it.

Good movie. My Red Box dvd had no special features, which I would have liked to see.

Has any actor put on weight or dropped weight as much as Bale? The character he portrayed, Ken Miles, was from my hometown so that was fun. Overly long movie IMO that didn’t seem to know when or where to end.

Final movie in the series. Harry says the word “frigging” for the 1st time & manages not to get his sidekick killed. For the first time. Good movie.

I enjoy Iranian cinema. Director’s first movie & it shows, but interesting.

To be honest, I have watched almost all Pacino movies (at least 20th century), also Pesci is a good guy for sure (Goodfellas is my favorite one with Pesci featured) and De Niro is also a well-fit person for `tough-guy` movie characters , but I had the feeling that it is sooo scripted. Yes I know this is an autobiography, but when you have Pacino,De Niro and Pesci in your squad - you should make movie way more emotional. 5/10. By the way, I like to read good reviews, recently found this one review https://removier.com/the-irishman-review and whats interesting - it was made by two people (as I understood)

CREED II
(2018, Caple Jr.)
A film that starts with the letters C or D • A sequel • A film with an African-American cast

"I was afraid of this... expectations. Being the champ. I was scared I couldn't do what he couldn't."

Creed II is both plagued and helped by expectations on all sides. From its inception to its story beats to the inner struggles of most of its characters. When Creed was conceived in 2015, expectations were a mixture of what new could this "universe" bring to the table with the tediousness of yet another entry in the Rocky Balboa catalog. Fortunately, director and co-writer Ryan Coogler and star Michael B. Jordan, along with Sylvester Stallone, they all managed to defy those expectations with a film that knew how to build on top of them, evolving the old characters while also giving us new ones with depth, wrapping everything in a way that felt genuine and fresh.

Creed II follows Adonis Johnson (Jordan) as his rise to success is challenged by Viktor Drago (Florian Munteanu), the son of none other than Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) who was responsible of his father's death 30+ years ago. Expectations rise cause he's the defending champion, everybody wants him to fight to "avenge" his father; everybody except Rocky and those close to him. So what to do when those expectations become a burden? when they make you afraid for not being able to fulfill them?

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

When life gives you lemons, eh? BTW, speaking of The Howling 2, have you ever seen this, Rock-O?:

It's legitimately one of my favorite videos I've come across on the Tube.
That's pretty good. He nails most of what makes the movie so good.

I appreciate your good attitude about this, but like everyone else, I feel really bad for you, those are actually pretty intense stressors people do not need in this life. I wish for a quick and satisfactory resolution for you and a return to normalcy.
Thanks, mate. Just trying to focus on the positive things I've got going on. Keeps me from feeling too overwhelmed.