Oscar's Best Actor 2022

Tools    

The five performances up for Best Actor. Who triumphs?
0%
0 votes
Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
45.45%
5 votes
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
0%
0 votes
Andrew Garfield, tick...tick...BOOM!
45.45%
5 votes
Will Smith, King Richard
9.09%
1 votes
Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees for Best Actor...

Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
Andrew Garfield, tick, tick...BOOM!
Will Smith, King Richard
Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Will Smith deserved to win for Pursuit of Happyness. Hollywood owes it to him this time. But watch as the Academy throws a curve ball and hands it to Benedict Cumberbatch. Ugh
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Washington already has two Oscars, there's no way they're giving him a third one...I watched about 20 minutes of the film and couldn't keep my eyes open.

Welcome to the human race...
I'll reserve judgment until I actually see King Richard, but I have to question the notion that Smith is "owed" a win. Cumberbatch would be a solid pick.

Just watched The Tragedy of Macbeth, which means not only I have watched all the Best Actor nominees, but all the acting nominees in all four categories.

All five of these performers have been Oscar nominated before, two of them already have Academy Awards at home.

Denzel Washington’s nomination for The Tragedy of Macbeth is his ninth acting nod, and he has the two wins for Training Day (Best Actor) and Glory (Best Supporting Actor). Those nine nominations tie him with legends Paul Newman, Al Pacino, and Spencer Tracy. The only male actors with more nominations are Larry Olivier’s ten and Jack Nicholson’s twelve (and Meryl Streep has the most with a god-like twenty-one!). There have been six previous Best Actor nominations for playing a Shakespeare character, and his is the first cinematic Macbeth to make it. The others were Kenneth Branagh as Henry V (Day-Lewis won for My Left Foot), Marlon Brando’s Marc Anthony in Julius Caesar (William Holden won for Stalag 17), and then four Laurence Olivier performances as Othello (Lee Marvin won for Cat Ballou), Richard III (Yul Brenner won for The King & I), Henry V (Fredric March won for The Best Years of Our Lives), and his self-directed Best Picture winning turn as Hamlet (Olivier did win Best Actor). If Denzel were to match Olivier’s Shakesperian win here that would put him in rarefied company as only six performers have ever won three acting Oscars in a career: Walter Brennan, Ingrid Bergman, Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Frances McDormand. And Kate Hepburn stands above everyone with four. Washington may well get to four or even five wins by the time all is said and done, but as good a turn as it is I don’t believe his Macbeth is going to get him any closer to that record.

This is Javier Bardem’s fourth nom, this time for his Desi Arnez in Being the Ricardos. He had previous Best Actor nominations for Julian Schnabel’s Before Night Falls (Russell Crowe won for Gladiator) and Iñárritu’s Biutiful (Colin Firth won for The King’s Speech) and Javier won Best Supporting Actor for his indelible, coin-flipping, killing machine Anton Chigurh in The Coen Bros.' No Country for Old Men. The Spaniard does fine playing the famous Cuban actor/musician/executive/husband for Aaron Sorkin’s look at a week behind-the-scenes of "I Love Lucy", though I doubt anyone would rank it as one of his handful of greatest performances. Last year he was also Stilgar in Villeneuve’s Best Picture nominated Dune. Bardem may get a second Oscar in his career but it won’t be for Ricky Ricardo. Bardem is one half of two real-life couples both enjoying nominations this year. His wife Penélope Cruz is nominated for Parallel Mothers while The Power of the Dog’s Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons pulled off the feat in the same project.

Andrew Garfield’s nomination for tick, tick…BOOM!, adapted from the stage for the screen by Lin Manuel-Mirand, is the second of his career following his recognition for Hacksaw Ridge. Casey Affleck won that year for Manchester by the Sea, despite Garfield having also starred in Scorsese’s Silence that year. This year his Eyes of Tammy Faye co-star Jessica Chastain may win Best Actress and I believe he was also one of several Spider-Men, but despite that banner year he will be an also-ran once again. At only thirty-eight he will almost surely be back in the future, or at least in a multiverse version of the Oscars. A few Best Actor winners have come from Musicals: Yul Brenner (The King & I), Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady), and Bing Crosby (Going My Way). Additionally James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy), Jamie Foxx (Ray), and Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody) won for biopics of real musicians while Robert Duvall (Tender Mercies) and Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart) won for dramas about fictional musicians.

Benedict Cumberbatch’s emotionally schizophrenic and often quietly menacing performance is the center of The Power of the Dog. This year also found him zapping around with the three Spider-Men as Doctor Strange and starring in another Netflix project in The Electrical Life of Louis Wain. He has only one previous Oscar nomination as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, which was the year Eddie Redmayne won for The Theory of Everything. Cumberbatch may well be destined to win an Oscar one of these days, but I don’t suspect it will be for The Power of the Dog. Even if it does take Best Director and possibly Best Picture.

Will Smith has already won the Golden Globe and the SAG Award for playing King Richard Williams, the sometimes seemingly pathologically driven man who had a very detailed plan to make tennis superstars from two of his daughters Venus & Serena. Will Smith, despite being one of the most famous and generally well-liked personalities in Hollywood, has never won an Oscar. Plenty of movie star love and moolah, but not Oscar gold. His two previous nominations were as Michael Mann’s Ali the year Denzel Washington won for Training Day and as another driven, real-life character Chris Gardener in The Pursuit of Happyness which was the year Forest Whitaker’s Idi Amin won for The Last King of Scotland. From his Grammy-winning music career to "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" to Six Degrees of Separation and then Independence Day, Men in Black, the Bad Boys franchise, and all the rest he has proven to be as bankable as he is likeable. Unlike Will, his character in King Richard is not always the most likeable, but that work coupled with a lifetime of goodwill is about to make him an Oscar winner as Best Actor. If he wins he will join Sidney Poitier, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, and Jamie Foxx as the only African-Americans to win in this category.

It was not the top Fresh Prince headline of the evening, but despite Chris Rock's body and Will Smith's reputation both taking hits, the votes had already been cast and Smith did win Best Actor for King Richard.