Nightmare Alley
50.00%
14 votes
The Power of the Dog
3.57%
1 votes
West Side Story
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The ten nominees for this year's Best Picture at the Academy Awards are...

Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hopefully this means Drive My Car will get a release...

I've seen six of the ten...rankings for me would be...

1. Licorice Pizza
2. Nightmare Alley
3. Power of the Dog
4. King Richard
5. Dune
6. Don't Look Up

Power of the Dog is clearly the front runner at this point. I've seen 6 of the 10. My rankings:

1. CODA
2. Dune
3. West Side Story
4. King Richard
5. Don't Look Up
6. The Power of the Dog

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Man, there's a few in here I'm kinda shocked got the nod. Maybe I'll change my tune as I catch up on it all, though.
What ones shocked you? I've only seen 3 so far.

Power of the Dog is clearly the front runner at this point. I've seen 6 of the 10. My rankings:

1. CODA
2. Dune
3. West Side Story
4. King Richard
5. Don't Look Up
6. The Power of the Dog
And the Oscars usually like to shock and awe us lately, so it probably won't win.

What ones shocked you? I've only seen 3 so far.
King Richard, Don't Look Up, and Nightmare Alley. Heard things from bad-to-meh about all of them. But hey, maybe I'll feel otherwise.

Here's the 7 I haven't seen ranked in the interest I have watching them:

Drive my Car
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
Dune
CODA
Belfast
King Richard

Going to hold my vote till I get to see Drive My Car. Think my choice right now is Licorice Pizza, just a smidge over Dune. Spencer is my #1 of the year at this point. Disappointed it didn’t get a nom.

In 1944 the Academy topped off the number of possible Best Picture nominees at five. It remained five from 1944-2008. In 2009 they changed the format to allow as many as ten and no fewer than five nominees. The first two years there were ten nominees each. Since then there had been nine nominees six times and eight three times. For only the third time since the change fourteen years ago there are once again ten Best Picture nominees.

I enjoyed Don't look up, but certainly do not think it should be best pic.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've seen half of these so far. Of those, Power of the Dog is the best and most likely to win. West Side Story was also very good. Nightmare Alley was entertaining but it had its problems. Don't Look Up was pretty good but seems very divisive. I didn't like Licorice Pizza at all so hope that doesn't win.

I think the whole streaming release v. cinema release issue has only been exacerbated by the covid situation. Cinemas were closed here for the first five months of the year, and even when open people might have been staying away due to mask rules or anxiety.

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Gonna start all of them tomorrow, saw just Don't Look Up, out of the bunch.

The trick is not minding
I've seen half of these so far. Of those, Power of the Dog is the best and most likely to win. West Side Story was also very good. Nightmare Alley was entertaining but it had its problems. Don't Look Up was pretty good but seems very divisive. I didn't like Licorice Pizza at all so hope that doesn't win.

I think the whole streaming release v. cinema release issue has only been exacerbated by the covid situation. Cinemas were closed here for the first five months of the year, and even when open people might have been staying away due to mask rules or anxiety.
I’m not sure I understand the “theatrical release vs streaming” release bit. Is it in reference to the belief that most of the nominated films are “streaming” releases only?
If so Here’s the thing, while it is true most of these received limited theatrical releases, they still played in the theater.
As I noted earlier, all of these played at my local theater with the exceptions being Power of the Dog and Drive My Car.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding your point.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I’m not sure I understand the “theatrical release vs streaming” release bit. Is it in reference to the belief that most of the nominated films are “streaming” releases only?
If so Here’s the thing, while it is true most of these received limited theatrical releases, they still played in the theater.
As I noted earlier, all of these played at my local theater with the exceptions being Power of the Dog and Drive My Car.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding your point.

It was in reference to this:

It's not about the films not having theatrical releases, just the limited release time or the limited money they made from people not going to see them.

The trick is not minding
It was in reference to this:

It's not about the films not having theatrical releases, just the limited release time or the limited money they made from people not going to see them.
Thank you for the clarification.

IMO they shouldn't be including a foreign film (Drive My Car - Japanese) in the main Best Picture category. It should be placed in the Best Foreign Film category-- if they still have that. If they're going to include foreign films in these categories, then that opens it up wide.

OTOH, perhaps they just wanted to make sure that they had at least one good film...

IMO they shouldn't be including a foreign film (Drive My Car - Japanese) in the main Best Picture category. It should be placed in the Best Foreign Film category-- if they still have that. If they're going to include foreign films in these categories, then that opens it up wide.

OTOH, perhaps they just wanted to make sure that they had at least one good film...
We've had this discussion on here before. I agree with it in principle. But they would need to rename the category - 'Best picture in the English Language' obviously.