Best director predictions

Tools    

Who do you think will win best director at the next Oscars? My current prediction is Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog.

Other likely nominees:
Paul Thomas Anderson (Licorice Pizza)
Kenneth Branagh (Belfast)
Ridley Scott (House of Gucci)
Denis Villeneuve (Dune)

Also possible:
Guillermo Del Toro (Nightmare Alley),
Joel Coen (The Tragedy of Macbeth),
Pedro Almodovar (Parallel Mothers),
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story),
Pablo Larrain (Spencer)

What are your predictions for best director?

The trick is not minding
Spielberg
Campion
Branagh (is he the front runner?)
Villeneuve
Scott

Very preliminary, mind you. A lot can change before the announcements. There may be a few surprises here and there.

Still holding out hope for Wes Anderson.

Long shot calls for Ducournau and Carax, if the Academy is feeling frisky.

The trick is not minding
Still holding out hope for Wes Anderson.

Long shot calls for Ducournau and Carax, if the Academy is feeling frisky.
I would love for him to get a Nod, and I plan on seeing The French Dispatch sooner rather then later, but the academy tends to ignore him, outside of Screenplay and animated film.

I would love for him to get a Nod, and I plan on seeing The French Dispatch sooner rather then later, but the academy tends to ignore him, outside of Screenplay and animated film.
You're right. They're far more likely to give the nod to whoever directed that Princess Di movie.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Lost Daughter) or Rebecca Hall (Passing) make the cut at either the Oscars or the DGA. I don't think Ridley Scott will make it for either The House of Gucci or The Last Duel. It may be time for Paolo Sorrentino to get a nomination (The Hand of God). Maybe Mike Mills (C'mon C'mon)? Paul Thomas Anderson is always a wild card and generally well liked and respected by the members of the Dirtectors Branch who do the nominating, even if on the surface Licorice Pizza may seem less Oscary than things like The Phantom Thread or There Will Be Blood.

Another year without the nominees coming via cinema as much as from streaming while theatre-going is still severely affected by COVID, it is harder than in years past to gauge such things. I think Kenneth Branagh (Belfast), Jane Campion (Power of the Dog), and Joel Coen (The Tragedy of Macbeth) may be the closest things to locks, from my point of view.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The trick is not minding
You're right. They're far more likely to give the nod to whoever directed that Princess Di movie.
I remember being so mad when he was ignored for best director for both Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.
Then I stopped taking them seriously.

It will be one of the two women: either Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog) or Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Lost Daughter). Of the two it'll likely be Campion because it's only Gyllenhaal's first feature.

Just saw Belfast yesterday and I wouldn't mind seeing Branagh win. Can't believe there hasn't been any mention of Adam McKay for Don't Look Up.