Kino Cult: New free streaming service launching!

Tools    

I'd give it a 2.5 myself, when compared to all movies...though I might give special accolades for being pretty far out! Loved the room with the flashing red light, where the new girl gang members went to have sex with all the guys in the gang...to be initiated. I wonder who thought of that rule, ha!

Have you seen Test Tube Babies (1948) I'd been wanting to see that one, and now thanks to this thread I can watch it on Kino Cult.
Yes, I have Test Tube Babies on blu-ray. It is volume 7 of the Forbidden Fruit series. I rated it a

Holy crap. What a rabbit hole of a website.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
THANKS Allaby!
It does seem to have a similar setup to TubiTV with the occasional commercials. I did find two interesting films off the bat. L'Immortelle, that a review on IMDb remarks it as a kind of marriage of L'Avventura and Last Year at Marienbad and since LYaM is in the present 26th HoF, could very well be a complimentary film to it. The second is an odd, dark comedy called The Balcony about a brothel and its regulars of specific fetishes and the violence of a revolting government outside its doors, with Peter Falk, Shelley Winters, Lee Grant, Ruby Dee, and, what has me intrigued, along with everything else, a pre-Star Trek Leonard Nimoy.

Kino Lorber is launching a free streaming service featuring horror, cult and arthouse films! It will officially be available in Canada and US tomorrow, although the app is now available with some films already on there.
“I watched Au Pair Girls (1972) on the new Kino Cult streaming service. Also known as The Young Playmates and Mother's Helpers, this British sex comedy, is about sexy young foreign girls who come to England to work as au pairs. I liked the opening credits theme song. The story isn't great, but there is some saucy fun to be had. Also, several beautiful women have some nice nude scenes, for those who enjoy that sort of thing (like me). Worth a peek.”

Trying to figure out how the above movie (quoting you) falls into the categories of “horror, cult & arthouse films”. If this is considered “arthouse” I shudder to think what else is there.

Not trying to be a snob here, but genuinely wondering in case I feel like checking it out.

THANKS Allaby!
It does seem to have a similar setup to TubiTV with the occasional commercials. I did find two interesting films off the bat. L'Immortelle, that a review on IMDb remarks it as a kind of marriage of L'Avventura and Last Year at Marienbad and since LYaM is in the present 26th HoF, could very well be a complimentary film to it. The second is an odd, dark comedy called The Balcony about a brothel and its regulars of specific fetishes and the violence of a revolting government outside its doors, with Peter Falk, Shelley Winters, Lee Grant, Ruby Dee, and, what has me intrigued, along with everything else, a pre-Star Trek Leonard Nimoy.
I watched two films on there so far (A Virgin Among the Living Dead and Au Pair Girls) and neither of them had any commercials! I guess it depends on what film you watch. It seems like some will have the occasional ad and some may be completely ad free.

“I watched Au Pair Girls (1972) on the new Kino Cult streaming service. Also known as The Young Playmates and Mother's Helpers, this British sex comedy, is about sexy young foreign girls who come to England to work as au pairs. I liked the opening credits theme song. The story isn't great, but there is some saucy fun to be had. Also, several beautiful women have some nice nude scenes, for those who enjoy that sort of thing (like me). Worth a peek.”

Trying to figure out how the above movie (quoting you) falls into the categories of “horror, cult & arthouse films”. If this is considered “arthouse” I shudder to think what else is there.

Not trying to be a snob here, but genuinely wondering in case I feel like checking it out.
I would consider it a cult film, definitely not arthouse. It is worth checking out the app/website. You may find something that strikes your interest.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I watched two films on there so far (A Virgin Among the Living Dead and Au Pair Girls) and neither of them had any commercials! I guess it depends on what film you watch. It seems like some will have the occasional ad and some may be completely ad free.
I imagine that's the case.
Again, thanks!

I'm mostly interested in filling in holes in my Rollin and Robbe-Grillet viewing. I like the moderate selection - not too overwhelming like the bottomless Prime - and with a steady monthly turn-over, this looks like a dependable site that I can watch a few movies a week without becoming my main haunt.

The only thing I warn against would be some of the cuts available. I appreciate the Bava section, but I would strongly advise against these versions of House of Exorcism and Evil Eye and go with the uncut versions, Lisa and the Devil and Girl Who Knew Too Much respectively. I'm not sure how many of these kinds of bastardizations are in this catalogue, but the fewer the better.

But, hey! I finally learned how to bathe! That's gotta be worth the bandwidth.

Are the only films on the service the ones on the front page, or am I just blind and can't find any way to browse the collection?
I’m using the app and I see about 60 films on there currently. If that’s what you are seeing, then that’s all of them currently. They will be adding more each month.

I just now counted 105 on their home page....BUT I've noticed other titles appearing as recommendations on the bottom of the page when I click on an individual movie to watch...so maybe there's even more?

Should we use the thread for reviews?

9/10

The debut film from Alain Robbe-Grillet, after the success of his screenplay for Last Year at Marienbad. This film liberally appropriates the previous Resnais film's veneer of non-linear montage, opaque symbolism and a focus on the gulf between artifice and intimacy. It takes a bit of adjusting before the film allows itself to stand on its own feet, out of this shadow. Adding to the intrigue, the film chooses only French subtitles, leaving all of the film's Greek and Turkish dialogue indecipherable, which is off-putting at first until it becomes clear that it's something of a running gag for the protagonist. There's a very interesting theory that Marienbad was a strong influence on Kubrick's Shining in such a way that can reevaluate both films. I think it's potentially interesting to see a similar influence between L'Immortelle and Eyes Wide Shut.

6.5/10

The earliest Jean Rollin film I've yet to see, many of his signatures are evident but with rougher (even for him) edges and much less polish. The subject matter is intact, it might even be his strongest plot, as is his penchant for hallucinatory images and sleepy pace, but his feel for atmosphere and rhythm isn't quite developed yet. Too many of the cruder elements (ala some very cheap gun stunts) that accompany films of this budget are less forgivable without the intoxicating command of the camera that make later Rollin films so distinctive.

7.5/10

Here's a Bava I haven't seen, his 1971 sex comedy. Obviously have to adjust expectations for his technical skills accordingly, but the film does pop with the colors, style and breeze expected of a late-60s Rome. It's also quite funny, sometimes in very unexpected ways, and undeniably sexy in fairly expected ways. I suppose a useful short-hand could be Pepe Le Pew's Rashomon, but even that gets complicated. For an 82 minute film, it's too bad that it wears out its welcome though, by the time we have some prof come on at the end to beat the theme over our heads. Now, I just have to watch Bava's westerns....

The trick is not minding

9/10

The debut film from Alain Robbe-Grillet, after the success of his screenplay for Last Year at Marienbad. This film liberally appropriates the previous Resnais film's veneer of non-linear montage, opaque symbolism and a focus on the gulf between artifice and intimacy. It takes a bit of adjusting before the film allows itself to stand on its own feet, out of this shadow. Adding to the intrigue, the film chooses only French subtitles, leaving all of the film's Greek and Turkish dialogue indecipherable, which is off-putting at first until it becomes clear that it's something of a running gag for the protagonist. There's a very interesting theory that Marienbad was a strong influence on Kubrick's Shining in such a way that can reevaluate both films. I think it's potentially interesting to see a similar influence between L'Immortelle and Eyes Wide Shut.

6.5/10

The earliest Jean Rollin film I've yet to see, many of his signatures are evident but with rougher (even for him) edges and much less polish. The subject matter is intact, it might even be his strongest plot, as is his penchant for hallucinatory images and sleepy pace, but his feel for atmosphere and rhythm isn't quite developed yet. Too many of the cruder elements (ala some very cheap gun stunts) that accompany films of this budget are less forgivable without the intoxicating command of the camera that make later Rollin films so distinctive.

7.5/10

Here's a Bava I haven't seen, his 1971 sex comedy. Obviously have to adjust expectations for his technical skills accordingly, but the film does pop with the colors, style and breeze expected of a late-60s Rome. It's also quite funny, sometimes in very unexpected ways, and undeniably sexy in fairly expected ways. I suppose a useful short-hand could be Pepe Le Pew's Rashomon, but even that gets complicated. For an 82 minute film, it's too bad that it wears out its welcome though, by the time we have some prof come on at the end to beat the theme over our heads. Now, I just have to watch Bava's westerns....
You can if you’d like. I don’t think anyone would object.

9/10

6.5/10

7.5/10

Yeah, I think it would be cool to post reviews here of films on Kino Cult that we watch.

The trick is not minding
Also, I can’t imagine reviewing Four Times that Night after having watched Bava’s Black Sunday and Kill Baby….Kill with Shock up next.

I just noticed that Kino Cult is gone. I couldn't find their web site anymore and I read this at wiki:
On August 29, 2023, Kino Lorber announced via email that "Kino Cult" was being replaced by "The Midnight Picture Show," "a new free streaming service featuring more movies from the deliciously dark and devilishly bizarre side of cinema."
https://www.midnitepictureshow.com/

I looked at their movie selection and its nothing like the old Kino Cult selection. Anybody try the Midnight Picture Show? What did you think?