Michael Shanks is a God!!
Hmmmmm I am going to say:

Sixth Sense
12 Monkeys
and Contact

What is the greatest movie of all time?

Hmmmm....tricky.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Another epic 10 year bump. One day threads will get bumped 50/100 years after they have started and the OP is long dead and gone.

I was thinking the other day... what is the one film that the least amount of people appear to dislike. When I think of popular films like Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption I think no, because at lot of people dislike them even if it is a minority. Even things like Citizen Kane some people appear to be dislike for some reason.

And I think the answer to my question is The Godfather, I honestly don't think I've seen someone who truly 'dislikes' the film, and even those who don't love it seem to still appreciate it which can not be said for some films.

I'm unsure how a movie being "least disliked" is relevant to it being "the greatest", or even how that could be ascertained...

There isn't any way in determining the greatest movie ever made, only what we ourselves believe it to be.

^True. A single greatest film (whatever that means) is bound to remain in dispute, whereas a list of great films is relatively more acceptable. Even among those generally accepted as great films, determining a single greatest of the great is just gonna come down to individual preference.

I agree with "It's A Wonderful Life" as well...

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I was thinking the other day... what is the one film that the least amount of people appear to dislike. When I think of popular films like Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption I think no, because at lot of people dislike them even if it is a minority. Even things like Citizen Kane some people appear to be dislike for some reason.

And I think the answer to my question is The Godfather, I honestly don't think I've seen someone who truly 'dislikes' the film, and even those who don't love it seem to still appreciate it which can not be said for some films.
I'd be more inclined to say that the greatest film of all time would be a film that represents and masters everything about the medium, rather than public consensus, but I don't think such a film exists.

I'd be more inclined to say that the greatest film of all time would be a film that represents and masters everything about the medium, rather than public consensus, but I don't think such a film exists.
Absolutely. I would've said Gone With the Wind was the closest, however, as its one of MY all time favourites this would make the reasoning clouded by my personal opinion. To achieve finding out what is the best film would be to poll the entire planet, but that's impossible and nobody in existence would ever agree to liking the same movie at the same time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The cinema qualifies. I can think of a thousand movies which I'd consider as one-one-thousandth of the "greatest movie of all time".

yes and I think that Godfather has pretty much everything that a good movie should have.Great source material,script,direction,music,acting,cinematography,story,characters.It also has accessibility because both movie "gourmets" and random people who don't watch many films enjoy The Godfather(that's something what,for example,Kubrick doesn't have).Even young people(15-19) like Godfather yet I'm sure they'd be bored with Kurosawa(I know that this forum likes both but in the real world Kurosawa is not as exposed as The Godfather).Finally,I think that every aspect of the film is above average.I mean,does the film has any flaws?

On the other hand,of course there can't be a single greatest film as there are many great movies and many various tastes.

Oh and by the way,I've read somewhere that if you would compile the top lists of critics and other sources which asses movies "obejctively" Citizen Kane would be the greatest American film.

The Shawshank Redemption.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
Citizen Kane

These seem like the most universal choices and they are all excellent films as well.

Shawshank Redemption definitely has it all for me but I know this won't please a lot of people.

ahh well!!

Shawshank Redemption definitely has it all for me but I know this won't please a lot of people.

ahh well!!
I am with you!

I dislike the godfathers and dont get the appeal, truly overated, a story of a mafia family, so what?

I honestly cant awnser the topic question, i dont think it exists or else life is the best movie of all time