Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

My dad loved The Patriot...I thought it was good, but could have been better. Mel Gibson only has a few more revolutions to go and he'll have covered every rebel uprising on film.

I guess he's found his niche: guy lives in an unjust world...Mel just wants to live a happy life. Bad guys do something or another to his family, Mel goes bananas and beats the crap out of them, eventually extracting revenge on the specific bad guy who harmed his family/friends.

Seriously, though: it was a good movie. Mildly tearjerking at times...moreso for my father - I think I'd have to have children to fully understand.

OK. I confess I probably don't belong on this forum. I am not a movie critic of any kind. Just an all american housewife and homeschooling mom of three who is totally brain fried at the end of the day. Soooo, I usually unwind at the end of the day by watching what I call "MUSH FLICKS". That is romantic comedies. But, since everyone is entitled to their opionion here it goes.......

In the truly wonderful timeless movies category I vote for:

It's a wonderful life
Sound of music
Mr. Smith goes to Washington
White Christmas
Christmas in Conneticut

In the fluff category (the ones I watch over and over at the end of a brain fried day)........

My #1 ALL TIME FAVORITE (I could probably recite the whole thing)
While you were sleeping

When Harry met Sally
Groundhog day
Undercover Blues
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Thomas Crown affair
A walk in the clouds
Runaway Bride

Of course each movie is accompanied by the greatest snack tray you've ever laid eyes on. Or so I've been told by my kids as their movies get served up with the same treats.

You've come to the right place. I'm a homeschooler myself, by the way.

I love Groundhog Day, Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington as well...anything with Jimmy Stewart is, by law, required to be entertaining. Ever see "rope"?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I just wanted to add to my list the movie Ravenous, this in my opinion is one of the greatest movies ever made and I have no clue as to how I could of left it out the first time around.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
My dear Passthesnacks, this isn't for movie critics!! It's for movie LOVERS ... and you're well qualified! Welcome (heheh, and another female for support)

sandra bullock is a weakness of mine and While You Were Sleeping was her first success ... I like it too. And I'm from Northern California right next to the Napa Valley so I have some bias of enjoyment for A Walk in the Clouds ...

Ravenous ... my best friend and I saw the ad for that and we were supposed to go see it, then it was suddenly out of theaters. We waited for it to come out on video, and it appeared briefly and then disappeared again. It's like a ghost. We STILL haven't seen it ... though we've been meaning to. One day we shall capture this elusive film!

_________

mmm ... foood.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I own Ravenous, and the store up by my house has it for rent all the time. I highly suggest you go see it. Its very suspensful, with plot twists etc... Its just cool.

Didn't see it.
I'll have to agree about Jimmy Stewart. He made great movies.

I would have to say that Star Wars is my favorite movie. That film had it all.

Didn't see it.
Well, I can't agree about Star Wars. I watched it again recently and thought it was pretty lame compared to current sci-fi movies. It had groundbreaking special effects at the time, but the story and acting weren't that hot.

For today, it's not that great. The thing that made is so special is that it was one of the very first of it's kind.

My father told me that upon its release, he had "no idea that kind of movie could exist..." - no movie had ever drawn you in that much.

And, of course, the whole movie built up to the destruction of the death star...Luke fires...it goes in...and he breathes out, just like everyone else in the theatre.

I played the Star Wars arcade game awhile back with my brother (just a couple months)...it was like 4 quarters per game...one of the most expensive games there. We took turns going back and forth...we lost a few light sabre bonus battles, but at the end, after spending around $4-5 each...I was flying the X-Wing with Vader on my tail in the Death Star...

...of course, Han Solo comes flying in (it was amazing...stereo sound and everything), takes care of Vader, and I nail the shot to blowup the Death Star - it was amazing. I was so pumped up it was hard to go back to my normal, everday life.

Of course, there was another Death Star to blowup later, which my brother missed by about an inch. Aw well.

"Raging Bull" is the greatest film. Nothing at all is wrong with it.

Editing, acting, directing, writing, cinematography... all grade A.

Doc
Gone With The Wind? Great movie, but the best of all time? This subject is like asking what is the best song of all time. You have to put it into catagories. Action, Romance, Horror, Drama, Comedy, etc.

Check out the brains on Doc... you a smart muthafuc*a, that's right.

Action - "Die Hard"
Comedy - "Meet The Parents"
Drama - "Raging Bull"
Romance - "True Romance"
Horror - "Evil Dead 2"

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Nah not really there should be a formula for it including these things

Longevity and lasting appeal over time
Artistic value
Influence on film
Acting
How much money it made
Makes a statement
Watchablitity and rewatchability

Other stuff should be in there im sure,
but I really do believe Gone With the Wind takes the cake

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally posted by Travis_Bickle
Check out the brains on Doc... you a smart muthafuc*a, that's right.

Action - "Die Hard"
Comedy - "Meet The Parents"
Drama - "Raging Bull"
Romance - "True Romance"
Horror - "Evil Dead 2"
Ok I can go with that too I guess

Action - North by Northwest
Comedy - Dr. Strangelove
Drama - Gone With the Wind
Romance - Casablanca
Horror - Pyscho

and a couple forgotten about
War - Apocolypse Now
Western - Shane
Political - Citizen Kane
Fantasy - Satyricon
Science Fiction - 2001: ASO
Crime/Gangster - White Heat

Some of you purists out there will no doubt criticize my choice but to hell vit you if you do.

Conan the Barbarian is still my favorite flick. It's not only the film itself but Robert Howard's take on the 'hero.'

It was big, bloody, lots of action... I just really dug it.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Toose
Some of you purists out there will no doubt criticize my choice but to hell vit you if you do.

Conan the Barbarian is still my favorite flick. It's not only the film itself but Robert Howard's take on the 'hero.'

It was big, bloody, lots of action... I just really dug it.
Don't know it it's my favourite but it's sure is entertaining....

[color=royal blue]"We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?"[/color]
"The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in your hair!"
[color=royal blue]"Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?"[/color]
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
[color=royal blue]"That is good!"[/color]

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally posted by Toose

Conan the Barbarian is a great movie… one of the first ones I bought on DVD… I’ve read a lot of Robert E. Howard’s books too although it’s been a while…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)