Pets

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

What does “obligate” mean?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
What does “obligate” mean?
“Some carnivores, particularly cats(family Felidae), are obligate carnivores, meaning they cannot obtain all the nutrients that they need from the plant kingdom and bacteria. In particular, obligate carnivores lack the enzyme needed to split carotene, obtained from plants, into vitamin A. Instead, these animals obtain vitamin A from the liver of their prey. Obligate carnivores are similarly unable to synthesize some essential very-long-chain, highly unsaturated fatty acids that other animals can make from shorter fatty acids found in plants.”

“Some carnivores, particularly cats(family Felidae), are obligate carnivores, meaning they cannot obtain all the nutrients that they need from the plant kingdom and bacteria. In particular, obligate carnivores lack the enzyme needed to split carotene, obtained from plants, into vitamin A. Instead, these animals obtain vitamin A from the liver of their prey. Obligate carnivores are similarly unable to synthesize some essential very-long-chain, highly unsaturated fatty acids that other animals can make from shorter fatty acids found in plants.”
Cheers!

She gets wet food twice a day & maybe it’s enough moisture for her. Who knows.

Stressing about this even though I’ve not given it a thought in the 7 years she’s been with us.
Blessed Day! As Aunt Lydia would say.

I’ve seen Looby Loo on two occasions drink water from her fountain this week. It’s been on the floor exactly two months to the day since I bought it for her.

I think I see her peeing more now that she’s drinking water.

I dont have any pets right now but I am going to buy some pythons and chameleons when I move into my new place. Someday way down the road I want something exotic like a large reptile, maybe an iguana or a mini alligator.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I dont have any pets right now but I am going to buy some pythons and chameleons when I move into my new place. Someday way down the road I want something exotic like a large reptile, maybe an iguana or a mini alligator.

I like watching videos of the alligators that show up on golf courses and walking around the streets not bothering people, but I would never want to have one as a pet, no matter how small it is.

I presume you’re joking.

I assume by “mini alligator” they mean dwarf caiman, which are legal to keep as pets in some areas, so probably not a joke.
I was thinking more of the iguana. Those things can be huge.

I was thinking more of the iguana. Those things can be huge.
Yeah but they are also common pets so I’m not sure why you would think it was a joke. We used to see several of them back when we still treated exotics.

Yeah but they are also common pets so I’m not sure why you would think it was a joke. We used to see several of them back when we still treated exotics.
Okay. My bad. Just hope I never visit someone who’s got a python in his spare bedroom.

Okay. My bad. Just hope I never visit someone who’s got a python in his spare bedroom.
Pythons are even more popular than iguanas. Ball pythons in particular are very popular and are quite docile. I like them a lot. If I didn’t love rodents so much I might consider having one.