Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
6.67%
1 votes
J.K. Simmons, Being the Ricardos
26.67%
4 votes
Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five up for Best Supporting Actor are...

Ciarán Hinds, Belfast
Troy Kotsur, CODA
Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
J.K. Simmons, Being the Ricardos
Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Kodi Smit-McPhee will win. I was underwhelmed with The Power of the Dog, but his performance was excellent. I loved Troy Kotsur in CODA, but I don't think he will win. I like Jesse Plemons as an actor, but I wasn't impressed with his performance here. Same with J.K. Simmons. I personally would not have nominated Plemons or Simmons.

Simmons one is a head scratcher for me. But it's a weak year it seems for support actor.
That's one of the very rare major category nominees I didn't have in the database preemptively.

Haven’t seen Belfast. I went Plemons because I really like him in about everything. I actually think this is a strong category. The performances was the best thing about Ricardo’s, and Simmons was the best of the group for me, maybe Bardem, nah Simmons.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Simmons was good, but he was such a small part of the film really.

I didn't think Jesse Plemons was anything special in Power of the Dog.

There seemed to be a lot of buzz about Bradley Cooper in Licorice Pizza, even though it was pretty much an extended cameo, but it's evidently not his year.

Simmons was the best thing about Being the Ricardos, but any of these other nominees could have been replaced by Jared Leto in House of Gucci, who should have been nominated.

Another boring list of nominees. 2022 is by far the most boring year at the Oscars it seems. I chose Plemons, but I seriously could care less.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Haven’t seen Belfast. I went Plemons because I really like him in about everything. I actually think this is a strong category. The performances was the best thing about Ricardo’s, and Simmons was the best of the group for me, maybe Bardem, nah Simmons.

I'm thrilled that Plemmons was nominated, but I think Kitsor gave the strongest performance of the actors nominated. This award should really be going to Jared Leto for House of Gucci, who was robbed of a nomination.

Bardem is the weakest of the lead actor nominees.

The only other Oscar nomination J.K. Simmons has in his career is for that astounding performance in Whiplash that rightfully earned him an Oscar. In Being the Ricardos he doesn’t look or sound anything like William Frawley, but Aaron Sorkin gives him a few choice scenes with that fun Sorkin dialogue, so here he is. Obviously it isn’t in the same stratosphere as Fletcher in Whiplash, and few roles ever will be. But for the man who is Commissioner Gordon in the Zach Snyder DC Universe, J. Jonah Jameson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Vern Shillinger in "Oz", Dr. Skoda on "Law & Order", and all of his other characters I can’t see him winning here. But he is well loved and respected by his peers, to be sure.

Ciarán Hinds has been one of those “ohhh, THAT guy” character actors for decades. You can spot him going all the way back to The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover though his profile really started rising in the 21st Century. Spielberg’s Munich was a nice breakout part and that was followed by the likes of "Rome" and "Game of Thrones" on television as well as projects as diverse as Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, There Will Be Blood, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Belfast is the first ever Oscar nomination for the Irishman who just turned sixty-nine. While he does a sweet job as the grandfather it doesn’t feel like the kind of work that will get him the statue.

Power of the Dog co-stars Jesse Plemons and Kodi Smit-McPhee both earn their first nominations. Kodi is only twenty-five though you may notice him from The Road with Viggo Mortensen or Slow West with Michael Fassbender and he also voiced the main character in the animated ParaNorman. His role as the odd and sensitive son who is the target of mocking and perhaps desire from Cumberbatch’s character has more to do on screen. Plemons is thirty-three and one of those distinctive character actors you can’t help but notice. His first significant role was probably the mostly silent, baby-faced thug on ”Breaking Bad” if you didn’t already know him from the ”Friday Night Lights” series but he was also great on the second season of ”Fargo” (where he met and fell in love with co-star Kirsten Dunst) and in the films Game Night, Judas & the Black Messiah, Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master, The Post and Bridge of Spies for Spielberg, and The Irishman and the upcoming Killers of the Flower Moon for Scorsese.

Troy Kotsur is fifty-three and though you may remember him from small roles in The Number 23 with Jim Carrey or on ”The Mandelorian”, CODA has made him an overnight sensation. His funny and nuanced performance as the patriarch of the mostly deaf family just jumps off of the screen, whether he is signing about birth control to his daughter’s new potential boyfriend or realizing the incredible gift she has that he cannot appreciate the way the rest of the world does, he is real and magnetic. His co-star Marlee Matlin is the only other deaf performer to have won an Oscar when she was named Best Actress for Children of a Lesser God way back at the 1987 ceremony. Four other hearing actors have won for playing deaf characters with performances that were mostly in sign language: Jane Wyman (Johnny Belinda), Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker), John Mills (Ryan’s Daughter), and Holly Hunter (The Piano). Other nominees for playing deaf characters include Alan Arkin (The Heart is a Lonely Hunter), Samantha Morton (Sweet & Lowdown), Rinko Kikuchi (Babel), Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water), and Riz Ahmed & Paul Raci just last year (Sound of Metal).

Kodi Smit-McPhee did win the Golden Globe for Supporting Actor but Kotsur won the Screen Actors Guild Award. I think this is Troy’s all the way, but we shall see.

As for the question of co-stars potentially canceling each other out, the historical numbers don't really support that...

As you can see, this chart goes back to the 1970 ceremony with the red denoting a co-star who won in one of the four acting categories. It was much more common in the ‘70s and ‘80s and it was more common for it to happen in the two lead categories in that era. The last non-supporting pair nominated was Davis and Sarandon as Thelma & Louise. Nothing but Supporting Actor and Actress co-stars since then. Last year Daniel and LaKeith from Judas & the Black Messiah were the tenth pairing of the 2000s. There have only been four victors out of all of those pairs: Catherine Zeta-Jones for Chicago, Octavia Spencer for The Help, Sam Rockwell for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and Daniel Kaluuya last year. So while for the past fifty-one years it is sitting at exactly 50% that one of the nominees wins, it is only 30% for the past thirty-five years.

CODA's Troy Kotsur did win Best Supporting Actor for his funny and endearing performance, joining co-star Marlee Matlin as the only deaf performers to win acting Oscars.