Oscar's Best Cinematography 2022

Tools    

The next cinematographer to go home with an Oscar is...?
9.09%
1 votes
Bruno Delbonnel, The Tragedy of Macbeth
54.55%
6 votes
Greig Fraser, Dune
9.09%
1 votes
Janusz Kaminski, West Side Story
9.09%
1 votes
Dan Laustsen, Nightmare Alley
18.18%
2 votes
Ari Wegner, The Power of the Dog
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees for excellence in the art of cinematography are...

Bruno Delbonnel, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Greig Fraser, Dune

Janusz Kaminski, West Side Story

Dan Laustsen, Nightmare Alley

Ari Wegner, The Power of the Dog
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This time there were five nomination slots instead of the de facto four because Deakins didn't have a film come out last year.
I'm sure he will be back with a vengeance next year.

Voted Dune because it looked so awesome. Set design is probably part of that, sure, but still. Haven’t seen West Side from this group

I thought West Side Story was very well shot.

Dune might win it though.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

These are four of the five nominees also up for the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) top award. The one difference is that Belfast didn't make the Academy cut, replaced here by West Side Story.

The West Side Story remake is Janusz Kaminski's seventh Oscar nomination, six of them coming from his collaborations with Spielberg: Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, War Horse, and Lincoln. He won for Schindler and Private Ryan. Daniel L. Fapp's color cinematography was one of the ten Oscars the 1961 original won, along with Best Picture. At the time the mix of a more realistic setting than the glossy Musicals of the 1950s was groundbreaking. Spielberg and Janusz add even more layers of reality into their version, but it is not what I would call groundbreaking. The Polish-born Kaminski is now sixty-two and his continued work with Spielberg, including the upcoming The Fabelmans, means he will very likely be back. But he won't get his third Academy Award this time.

The Tragedy of Macbeth is also the sixth nomination for Bruno Delbonnel. Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Amélie and A Very Long Engagement were his first, the sixth Harry Potter flick The Half-Blood Prince was next, then Inside Llewyn Davis for the Coen Brothers, and Joe Wright’s The Darkest Hour. Only three black & white films have won for cinematography since the category was melded in 1967: Schindler’s List, Roma, and Mank. After happening just once in fifty years it has now happened in two of the last three Oscars. I don’t expect that trend to continue, though each frame of this Macbeth is stunning and certainly award-worthy.

Greig Fraser had one previous nomination for Garth Davis’ Lion, the year Linus Sandgren won for La La Land. Some of his other credits include Zero Dark Thirty, Foxcatcher, Killing Them Softly, Vice, and in the Sci-Fi realm Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, three episodes of "The Mandolrian", and Matt Reeves’ about-to-be-released The Batman. This was his first collaboration with Denis Villeneuve and he has already signed on to lense the next cinematic chapter of Dune. It is the fourth Villeneuve movie nominated in this category, following Arrival (Bradford Young), Prisoners, and Blade Runner 2049 (both Roger Deakins). Sci-Fi spectacle has won before here including Deakins for Blade Runner 2049 and Mauro Fiore for Avatar. Will this initial installment of Dune follow suit?

Dan Laustsen’s only previous nomination before Nightmare Alley was for Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water. That film won Best Picture and Best Director but not Best Cinematography as it was the year Deakins finally broke his streak with Blade Runner 2049. Mimic and Crimson Peak were Laustsen and Del Toro’s first outings together and he was also D.P. on Brotherhood of the Wolf, the second, third, and upcoming fourth chapters of the John Wick saga, and Blitz Bazawule’s Musical adaptation of The Color Purple, due in 2023. Del Toro’s remake of Nightmare Alley is dark, lush, and gross, as one would expect. But without Guillermo getting a directing nod and all of its actors shut out, there doesn’t seem to be much momentum behind the film. Though stranger things have happened. Nightmare Alley's only other nominations are for Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Picture.

The Power of the Dog’s Ari Wagner has never been nominated before. The Australian got her start in short films before graduating to features including William Oldroyd’s Lady Macbeth, Peter Strickland’s In Fabric, Justin Kurzel’s The True History of the Kelly Gang, and Janicza Bravo’s Zola. Wagner is only the second female cinematographer ever nominated. Rachel Morrison four years ago for Mudbound was the first. If you feel momentum is building for Campion and the film to win Best Director and Best Picture does it follow that it would be more likely to win here? Not really. In this century the Best Picture and Best Cinematography awards have only lined up twice, so far: Birdman and Slumdog Millionaire. The anomaly was the 1990s when six of the ten years matched, but it only happened three times in the ‘80s, and none of them matched in the 1970s. But to say it doesn’t happen often doesn’t mean it can’t.

You can watch to see who wins the ASC Award, but they only began handing out their prizes in 1986 and in those 35 years they have matched the Oscar winner sixteen times. If 46% accuracy is something you find dependable, you’ll have that as a guide.

I don't really have too many gripes with the five, though I think West Side Story is the least of the nominees. I would have been happier to see Haris Zambarloukos's work on Belfast there in that spot. I would have nixed Nightmare Alley, too. In its place I think the most visually beautiful movie of the year was David Lowery's The Green Knight, cinematography by Andrew Droz Palermo. Other snubs would include The French Dispatch (Robert Yeoman), Pig (Patrick Scola), Red Rocket (Drew Daniels), Passing (Eduard Grau), and Beginning (Arseni Khachaturan).

Macbeth will win, but No 'Servants' ? that film was stunning:

Also no hand of god:

Not sure it was eligible for this year but 'Song Without a Name' was also far more visually stunning than most of the nominees:

Greig Fraser did win his second American Society of Cinematographers Award last night for Dune (his first was for Lion). As I mentioned above, the ASC winner goes on to win the Oscar only 46% of the time. Which is not a great number as a predictor. They have matched in three of the past five years: Mank, 1917, and Blade Runner 2049. The two differences were the ASC went with Cold War while the Oscars chose Roma and when Fraser won for Lion the Academy instead went with La La Land.

If another match is on deck we will find out this Sunday.