Movies you couldn't even finish.

Tools    

Too bad about the 2019 version. I saw the 1955 film in the theater, which was wonderful. For some reason I went by myself, but I completely fell in love with it.

I've been meaning to re-watch it ever since, but I don't believe I have...
i know it so different to 1955 . u should rewatch it, its one of my fav disney classic movies

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
War Inc.
Definitely not as good as Grosse Pointe Blank

The New World -

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I can't stand stoner/drugs movies to begin with and this did nothing to convert me. I think I saw just enough of it to know that it wasn't going to magically redeem itself. God, what a puddle of wafting donkey piss.

Mucho late to this comment but I'm new, so please bare with me. Having experienced many of the pharmaceuticals of the day, in my past. This film is just a one trick pony that just doesn't realize the joke evaporated after the first third. At least the similar, yet older "Where are Buffalo Roam" kept me entertained until the end. Crap, my water pipe blew its seal...

This movie got great reviews, but I guess it wasn’t my cuppa tea.

Trying to be The Big Chill & not even remotely succeeding.

15 minutes. Awful. I couldn't finish that.

Halloween.

I made it about 45 minutes into the film and all that's happened is Michael Myers has followed Jamie Lee Curtis around while she's living out her dull life as a 70s teen in suburbia. Yawn.

I thought this was meant to be a horror film but I found nothing scary about it, just endless shots of Myers stalking her with bizarre Darth Vader-esque breathing problems. Maybe it's meant to build suspense but I just found it boring. Very disappointing for a film with such a big reputation.

I need to start turning off stuff that I cant get into more. If you've devoted at least an hour to something and you're still waiting for something to pull you in, its not gonna is it? (Unless its something episodic maybe, like Certain Women or Buster Scruggs etc.)

Ive done it twice in the last few months. I did it with 2001 not so long ago, and did it last night with Silence.

I need to start turning off stuff that I cant get into more. If you've devoted at least an hour to something and you're still waiting for something to pull you in, its not gonna is it? (Unless its something episodic maybe, like Certain Women or Buster Scruggs etc.)

Ive done it twice in the last few months. I did it with 2001 not so long ago, and did it last night with Silence.
I've found that if a movie isn't working for me in the first 15 minutes, it rarely gets better for me. Personally I enjoyed both Certain Women & Buster Scruggs, and knew I would at the very start of the films.

It sounds reasonable. But then, I’ve had films I thought I really didn’t like as I was watching them - Dark Waters, for example - but once I was done, I realised were actually quite good. Even watched DW twice after that, which I don’t often do. It does grow on you sometimes, I guess.

(But that may just be my masochistic tendency to finish things).

I was bored to tears watching Gone WIth The Wind and didn't end up watching the last 30 minutes.

Also, that shot for shot remake of Psycho. Me and my mom both agreed to immediately watch the original again after like 20 minutes.

I've found that if a movie isn't working for me in the first 15 minutes, it rarely gets better for me. Personally I enjoyed both Certain Women & Buster Scruggs, and knew I would at the very start of the films.
I just used those as examples, as in both, there was one of the stories I couldnt get on board with, but overall I enjoyed them.

I just used those as examples, as in both, there was one of the stories I couldnt get on board with, but overall I enjoyed them.
That's cool because there's no such thing as a universally loved film. I've shut off movies that other people hold in high esteem, like Silver Linings Playbook & Whiplash.

That's cool because there's no such thing as a universally loved film. I've shut off movies that other people hold in high esteem, like Silver Linings Playbook & Whiplash.
Oh definitely. There are some films so absolutely universally loved, Ive wondered if Im missing something when it just does nothing for me! 2001 didnt really surprise me, as it seems like most Kubrick to be somewhat divisive anyway. But The Piano was definitely the most recent one for me. Just. Didnt. Get the hype. Bored me silly.

There are some films so absolutely universally loved, Ive wondered if Im missing something when it just does nothing for me!
I generally try to go into films with very little information.

But if I start to watch a film that I know has a really good reputation, or that was recommended to me by someone whose taste I really trust, I will sometimes then seek out essays/reviews (this time without fear of spoilers) to see if I might actually be missing something. This sometimes gives me something to look for, and even if I don't end up really liking the film, I might at least come to appreciate an element of it.

Last year or around then I was having trouble getting my head around A Canterbury Tale, and reading some essays about it (and talking to another forum poster) helped me to understand more about what the film was doing and ultimately I ended up really enjoying the movie.

And on the other hand, sometimes reviews help me solidify that a film isn't for me. For example, I would say that the strength of Silver Linings Playbook is the charm of the lead characters. (It's a movie I like but don't love, maybe a 7/10?). So if someone isn't clicking with the characters, I don't have much else to argue in the film's favor, and it might not be worth going back to it. For me, an example would be the Hostel films. I love a lot of horror movies, and some friends have several times almost convinced me to check them out. But torture and helplessness are huge turn-offs for me in terms of a movie--they leave me feeling very depressed and upset. So I can understand why people like the films and believe that the films accomplish their own goals, but also they probably aren't for me.