Movie Tab II

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Anyway, I'm just running (or foaming) at the mouth here, I don't really need anyone to give me any answers to this; one of life's many riddles. But if you know feel free to chime in.
Gamera was created by the Daiei Motion Picture Company in Japan to cash in on (or rip off) the more popular Godzilla.

I'm a fan of the Gamera series, too. They have a goofy, low budget, batsh*t insane charm to them. Gamera Vs. Guiron is the best one, he fights a monster with a knife for a head who shoots ninja stars out of its nostrils. And it's as awesome as that sounds.

I just watched:

The Darjeeling Limited
- I loved it. Its a quieter, more mature film than any that Wes Anderson has made previously, and it will stay with you long after you've seen it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Barefoot Contessa
(this rating may be a little harsh, my viewing was immediately followed by the clearly superior Mankiewicz film, All About Eve, which made Contessa's flaws a little more obvious than they may have been otherwise.)
All about Eve

The Bourne Identity
No biggie; my ratings are:

The Barefoot Contessa

All About Eve

The Bourne Identity

If any Gamera movie deserves more than
, you guys are having WAY more fun than I ever did.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
If any Gamera movie deserves more than
, you guys are having WAY more fun than I ever did.
I dont think they do, but there is a lot of fun to be had watching crazy b-movies.

Yes, I do enjoy giving flix CAMP ratings. As long as that's understood, I can see giving a Gamera movie a
-
I was totally serious about my 5-star rating. Best. Movie. Ever. (And if you believe that, well then my friend have I got a deal for you!)

Anyway, watched a few more yesterday:

Gamera vs. Monster X

After the bar had been set so high from the first Gamera movie its easy to see how this one just doesn't quite "cut the mustard" so to speak.

Gamera vs. Gaos

This is the one with the big "bat type creature" very scary. Oooooh, Aaaaaah, Eeeeeeeek!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Saw La Môme / La Vie en rose (2007 - Olivier Dahan) the other day. Kind of crappy, isn't it?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I've been avoiding it for a while...:\

OT:

Is it wrong to think Stellan Skarsgård is kind of sexeh...?
Anywhae, it was alright in a good Sunday evening TV drama sort of whae...d'you see wha' ah did there...with the accent...lulz...

Berlin - Alexanderplatz: The Story of Franz Biberkopf (Phil Jutzi, 1931)

I am in pain! Ignore that for now. This is an 83 minute adaptation of the gargantuan Alfred Döblin metropolitan novel. The author co-scripted, so he must have approved of the removal of dozens of characters and the distillation of many down into one. Well, if Fassbinder took 930 minutes to do the novel justice, I guess that makes sense. Politics is pretty much also thrown out the window, as well as most of the character motivations, but comparing this original to Fassbinder's version is fascinating. Director Jutzi is a talent I'd like to view more of; he may not be as accomplished as Fritz Lang or G.W. Pabst, but his version of early sound German expressionism is quite unique, whether it's on display in the hurlyburly Berlin or the beautiful forest outskirts. He seems to have a strong affinity for expressing emotions on location.

If none of this makes sense to you, check out my earlier comments about the 1980 Berlin Alexanderplatz at these posts: http://www.movieforums.com/community...postcount=6460
http://www.movieforums.com/community...postcount=6521
http://www.movieforums.com/community...postcount=6610

Yes, I've seen the crazy epilogue, but I have to watch it a few more times to get my head around it all. Afterwards, I will post my final thoughts.

makes you wanna wear a poodle skirt

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

That Touch of Mink, god I love Cary Grant, I may have had his children, you know if he were still around.

Aaaaneewaaay, now I get where they ripped off Pretty Woman from, I think I read that somewhere (probably here) before. It's interesting to me how in this version Doris Day plays a "working girl" you know just a gal that like goes to work everyday and is down to earth and smart and all that good stuff. And then in Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts plays a "working girl" who has got to be like, the cleanest nicest street urchin ever to grace the earth (that means she's a whore to all the rest of you playing at home ). Not to sure if I would have gone the same direction if it were my movie, but what do I know I just watch them.

I've never seen Doris Day in a film before and I really liked her and Cary together. Sure, the movie itself is fluffy and silly but hey, that's my cup of tea.

I give this movie an around the world and back *SNAP*!

Also watched Broadcast News from the lists and I only watched about two thirds of it before I realized that I had in fact seen it before. I'm telling ya kids; "Don't do Drugs!" Especially the wacky tobaccy cos that's the one I did the most and I in fact have mental problems, if you can believe that. Anyway I think I liked it as much this time as I did the first time only I can't always be sure of these things. Goodtimes Eh?

If you've never seen Doris Day before, you should check out both Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back where she played opposite Rock Hudson. I enjoy That Touch of Mink (
), but I give those two earlier films both

Pillow Talk

Lover Come Back

The Hairy Ape (Alfred Santell, 1944)

William Bendix gives one of his more memorable performances in this adaptation of a Eugene O'Neill play. It's something like a twisted version of Beauty and the Beast, but somewhere along the line, it goes a bit too soft. Bendix plays a macho stoker who works on a steamship. He's hard-drinking and two-fisted, but he sees a beautiful woman (the young Susan Hayward) and falls for her. Unfortuately, she sees him as less-than-human and tells that to his face. The film has some strong violent scenes throughout, but when it builds to its conclusion, it almost turns into a comedy, which basically cuts down much of the earlier power. Even so, it's worth watching if you want to see Bill with his shirt off.

Jamaica Inn (Alfred Hitchcock, 1939)

Hitch's last film before he went Hollywood begins atmospherically enough, but eventually it bogs down in the details of a plot which is far too predictable. In the early 19th century, plundering murderers lure ships to their doom by blocking the light from a Cornwall lighthouse. The gang then proceeds to steal all the cargo and murder the crews. Into this scenario, a beautiful teenage orphan(Maureen O'Hara) arrives to stay with family at the feared title lodge, but she first meets a rich nobleman (Charles Laughton) who's not exactly a guardian angel. Eventually, she learns that she's in the middle of a band of cutthroats and struggles to save herself and any others possible. There are a few Hitchcockian flourishes, but the hand is played a bit too early for the suspense to be as strong as usual.

Song of the South (Harve Foster & Wilfred Jackson, 1946)

Reviewed shortly here. http://www.movieforums.com/community...2&postcount=22

I am having a nervous breakdance
Idi i smotri / Come and See (1985 - Elem Klimov)

This is one of the best war films I've ever seen. And I think I have Malick with me on that one... Has anyone else seen Klimovs masterpiece?