Batman (1989)

→ in
Tools    

Ohhh, another rooster in the henthouse.....love that quote,when joker is at the apartment and bruce wayne arrives

wou, another rooster in the henthouse , classic Jack nicholson hhehe

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I didn't like it. I liked it as a kid since I saw it when I was 8 about, and it was big at that age, but now it just really falls short for me. I find that the movie just doesn't have much of a focus or character development really. There are subplots with characters that are unnecessary and don't even add anything to the plot, such as the mayor, with his parade and Harvey Dent, etc.

Vicky Vale I also just didn't think was that interesting as a love interest really, and I feel that hardly any of Bruce Wayne's origin is explored. The movie obviously favors Jack Nicholson and wants to allow him to steal as much screen time as possible, but I think that hurts the movie as a result, as Joker has more of an origin story than Bruce Wayne in this case.

One thing I love about the movie though, Danny Elfman's score is top notch, as well as the art direction.

I feel that hardly any of Bruce Wayne's origin is explored.
I think this version has the most satisfying take on the boy who watched his parents' murder. In fact, I think the later takes (Forever, Begins, Joker) feel like they're going through the motions of this one.

Having the Joker be the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents was a total retcon. So the parts of his origin that were explored in the '89 movie were just all wrong.

Personally, I liked when Batman comics returned to the original origin where Bruce didn't know who the killer of his parents was... thus every night out fighting crime, he could imagine he was taking revenge for their murders because any criminal he hunted down might be the killer and this drove his obsession.

Joe Chill (the man who murdered the Waynes in DC comic books) was not named until about 10 years after Batman's first appearance (and was first named & shown in a live action film in Batman Begins in 2005).

Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter

"How tall is King Kong ?"
It's odd how this batman and also the 2019 joker film choose to make the joker 20 years older than batman.

Anyway. Burton's batmen are movies I regularly try to like. And fail. The design is great, Elfman is in top shape, and the casting is marvelous. I still think that Keaton was the best Bruce Wayne ever. The worst Batman maybe but the best Bruce Wayne. And speaking of the worst Batman, I just love the rigid costume, for all the wrong reasons. Seeing Batman lumber and trying to pivot like a mix of robocop and frankenstein's monster while the baddies align to get punched is hilarious.

But the movies are crushed by their style. The story is boring (well, it's a superhero film), and Nicholson is oddly under-utilized as he's hidden under so much prosthetics that all his facial expressions are hidden by a plastic grin. No wonder he's effortlessly out-crazed by Keaton. The best scenes of that film are the ones with human faces.

It's great that these films exist, somewhere. In a remote museum. Or in a frame. Not to be "used". I have a lot of sympathy and fondness for them, but I don't find them entertaining, and don't really take pleasure in watching them as full movies. They're a bit to enjoyable films what models are to toys. Just put them there, they look great, but don't "use" them. They don't bend.

Having the Joker be the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents was a total retcon. So the parts of his origin that were explored in the '89 movie were just all wrong.

Personally, I liked when Batman comics returned to the original origin where Bruce didn't know who the killer of his parents was... thus every night out fighting crime, he could imagine he was taking revenge for their murders because any criminal he hunted down might be the killer and this drove his obsession.

Joe Chill (the man who murdered the Waynes in DC comic books) was not named until about 10 years after Batman's first appearance (and was first named & shown in a live action film in Batman Begins in 2005).
The details aren't really the issue. The flashback in Begins is still stylistically similar to Burton's version, so much so that it was remarked upon at the time by some critics. I don't hold it against the later film (my favorite of the Nolan Batman films), but I just don't think it's fair to say that the '89 film "hardly explores at all" the backstory of Bruce Wayne. I think it did so quite well in the capacity of not being a full-on prequel, as Begins largely is.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I guess some were around when this came out, but judging it in the rearview with 2021 glasses seems kind of squarepegroundholish.

When it came out, there had never been anything like it. Cap it off with that soundtrack and start wiping the grey matter of the walls.

This is why I don’t rewatch a bunch of cherished movies. Certain things exist in a moment, for a specific period of time. Yet another reason to exalt Predator as possibly the greatest movie ever. It always works.