Did Twilight kill the vampire movie?

Tools    

What do you think was the last good vampire film?
What We Do in the Shadows.

Some of my favs:
The Night Stalker
From Dusk Till Dawn
Near Dark
The Lost Boys
Bram Stokers
Interview with the Vampire
Blade

The trick is not minding
I must be one of the few who didn’t care for The Lost Boys, Interview with the Vampire and Bram Stokers Dracula. 🤷
I do think Fright Night was better.
I’ve heard Let the Right one in is considered the best modern vampire movie, so I guess I should watch it and the American version soon.
As to the question, no...vampires will never go out of style. As previously mentioned by others here, these things come in cycles.

I’ve never been a big fan of the genre, but a number of quirky vampire films both pre- and post-Twilight suggest all is not lost. The ones I’ve liked over the years are:
Martin (1976)
Near Dark (1987)
The Reflecting Skin (1990)
Thirst (2009) - though that is, technically, an adaptation of Thérèse Raquin, which is extremely weird.
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
A Girl Walls Home Alone At Night (2014)
The Transfiguration (2016)

I must be one of the few who didn’t care for The Lost Boys, Interview with the Vampire and Bram Stokers Dracula. 🤷
I don't remember liking The Lost Boys that much either, but admittedly I haven't seen it since it was released. Maybe I should give it another go too. The other two are solid to me.

I do think Fright Night was better.
I rewatched this a while ago and found it quite mediocre (which, to be honest, was more than I expected).

I’ve heard Let the Right one in is considered the best modern vampire movie, so I guess I should watch it and the original Swedish version soon.
Just to avoid any confusion Let the Right One In is the Swedish original (Låt den rätte komma in being the actual Swedish title). The US remake is called Let Me In which isn't bad by any means, but utterly pointless considering how great the original is.

As to the question, no...vampires will never go out of style. As previously mentioned by others here, these things come in cycles.
I agree with this. I guess that Twilight series sort of marked the end of one cycle. I'm hoping the next one will be less sparkly

I’ve never been a big fan of the genre, but a number of quirky vampire films both pre- and post-Twilight suggest all is not lost. The ones I’ve liked over the years are:
Martin (1976)
Near Dark (1987)
Thirst (2009) - though that is, technically, an adaptation of Thérèse Raquin, which is extremely weird.
I still haven't watched Martin (it's been on my watchlist for ages, though). Near Dark seems to get worse every time I rewatch it (still not bad, but I no longer really dig it either). The Reflecting Skin is great (it's my nomination for the current 23rd HoF too). Thirst I didn't like at all (I'm not sure if I even finished it). Only Lovers Left Alive and A Girl Who Walks Home Alone at Night are both pretty good. I haven't seen The Transfiguration but it's also on my watchlist.

Another quite decent newish vampire film that hasn't yet been mentioned is Byzantium by Neil Jordan. Definitely worth a watch.

I still haven't watched Martin (it's been on my watchlist for ages, though). Near Dark seems to get worse every time I rewatch it (still not bad, but I no longer really dig it either). The Reflecting Skin is great (it's my nomination for the current 23rd HoF too). Thirst I didn't like at all (I'm not sure if I even finished it). Only Lovers Left Alive and A Girl Who Walks Home Alone at Night are both pretty good. I haven't seen The Transfiguration but it's also on my watchlist.

Another quite decent newish vampire film that hasn't yet been mentioned is Byzantium by Neil Jordan. Definitely worth a watch.
Really? I’ve been avoiding that like plague, because it felt a bit too glammed up and the poster was giving me Twilight vibes. I’ll definitely check it out if you recommend it. Somehow, I missed that it was Neil Jordan, as I do like a lot of his work.

I can understand the dislike for Thirst, though I thought it was alright. I haven’t seen Near Dark enough times to get to the king of fatigue you’re describing, but I do agree it’s not exactly rewatch material. Also, for some reason, this thread makes me think of Jarmusch’s Dead Man, though it never explicitly mentions vampires.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Underrated film

The trick is not minding
I don't remember liking The Lost Boys that much either, but admittedly I haven't seen it since it was released. Maybe I should give it another go too. The other two are solid to me.
Just to avoid any confusion Let the Right One In is the Swedish original (Låt den rätte komma in being the actual Swedish title). The US remake is called Let Me In which isn't bad by any means, but utterly pointless considering how great the original is.
Eh, Interview and Coppolas Dracula were nice looking, but were largely mediocre for me.
Fright Night was just a decent straight forward vampire film that was more entertaining for me.
Yeah, I immediately went back and edited it when I realized, upon double checking, that I had confused the two titles and edited it. I was hoping no one noticed but so much for that! 😜

Martin (1976)
Near Dark (1987)

Oh, I enjoyed A girl walks home alone at night. I played Farah's Dancing Girls on a loop for a week after that. Love that song.

Oh, I enjoyed A girl walks home alone at night. I played Farah's Dancing Girls on a loop for a week after that. Love that song.
Yes! The music there was phenomenal, I discovered Fedérale through that film.

Martin (1976)
Near Dark (1987)
This is a pretty great list. Martin is my favorite vampire movie, period.

Twilight certainly brought vampirism to a point of cultural saturation, but it also wasn't at its heart a "vampire movie" from my point of view. It was a supernatural teen romance.

Everyone is right to praise What We Do In the Shadows. I also liked the remake of Fright Night. I'll give a thumbs up to Byzantium.

I quite enjoyed Daybreakers, which I thought was a fun twist on vampire stories and had a great cast. The film takes place in a near-future where vampires dominate society but humans are becoming a scarce resource.

Vampires are a classic monster and they can allegorically represent so many things (addiction, dependence, abuse, etc). There will always be fun or fresh ways to use them. Heck, a plot doesn't even have to be all that original if the acting and direction is solid. I feel like there is always at least one TV show that features vampirism in some way (like The Vampire Diaries which ran from 2009-2017).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Very true, as Walt Disney famously said, "You can't top pigs with pigs."
Well, you could. Just you're probably gonna end up with a lot more pigs =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think Mel Brooks should have filmed Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) in black and white to follow up on his success with Young Frankenstein (1974)?

Would the movie have done better (or developed a cult following) just based on it's association with Brooks' earlier film?

Could it have become part of a series of b&w satires of Universal's famous monsters all made by Mel Brooks?

And... was Leslie Nielson the best choice to play Dracula (yes, we know it was a comedy, but still...)
What if he'd used Gene Wilder to play Dracula?

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Slightly off topic, but does anyone think Mel Brooks should have filmed Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) in black and white to follow up on his success with Young Frankenstein (1974)?

Would the movie have done better (or developed a cult following) just based on it's association with Brooks' earlier film?

Could it have become part of a series of b&w satires of Universal's famous monsters all made by Mel Brooks?

And... was Leslie Nielson the best choice to play Dracula (yes, we know it was a comedy, but still...)
What if he'd used Gene Wilder to play Dracula?
Definitely, I think it would've been funnier and they could've made a trilogy with a wolfman parody

Definitely, I think it would've been funnier and they could've made a trilogy with a wolfman parody
I think Gene Wilder as Dracula would have been really interesting and funny (just imagine his eyes hypnotizing some beautiful young woman!), but may have caused confusion with his iconic role in Young Frankenstein.

However, it might have also followed a tradition of the Universal monsters as Bela Lugosi played Dracula, Frankenstein's monster and Ygor in different films (and appeared in The Wolfman (1941).

What about Blade? The 1st two were really good
Not a fan, I only watched the 1st one

The whole vampire concept gets stuck between a loathsome parasite and some strange sort of Victorian-era metaphor for sexual slavery. As a loathsome rat-like parasite, which is much closer to the pre-Stoker, nightmare myth concept of a vampire, I don't think anybody has gotten it better than Nosferatu, all the way back from the Weimar Republic period silents.

On the other side, the sighing, breast-heaving, sexual slavery, Victorian period vampire has never been done better than Bram Stoker's Dracula, which just substitutes fangs for another part of the male anatomy. If you read Stoker's book, the movie is an amped-up version of the book. Recent-decade viewers are so soaked in sexual imagery that we forget how strange all that must have seemed in Victorian England and you'd need to make it more explicit to catch viewers in our era.

As for motorcycle vampires, vampires on Mars, etc, those all seem like the down-side of the vampire movie cycle. Were they not so overused, the Twilight movies might work because they at least prey on hormone heavy teen angst rather than blood sucking motorcycle gangs.

Is it a comeback for vampires - Vampires VS The Bronx - On Netflix, a comedy/horror flick, completely likable. Gentrifiers are arriving along with real estate agents and vampires, and whose blood will they suck? Will the neighborhood ever be safe again? Find out here. It could breathe life after death into the genre.