Mulholland Drive

Tools    

LOL. I've been practising TM for almost as long as I;ve watched Lynch movies. I still dont understand where he's coming from. There aint no collective consciousness between my mind and the Lynchian universe. I still freak out to this day about Eraserhead.
I looked into TM and it sounded great but then they wanted a fairly exorbitant amount of money which turned me off. I think they have since changed their, ahem, pricing policy. I'm still curious about it though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I looked into TM and it sounded great but then they wanted a fairly exorbitant amount of money which turned me off. I think they have since changed their, ahem, pricing policy. I'm still curious about it though.
Yeah I got in before the mind blowing price hike. I cant remember what it was back then but I was blown away with the increase. And I never bothered with the advanced courses. They seemed a bit weird. Maybe Lynch did the levitation *cough* course and that's why he's weird.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I love Mulholland Drive and it's the only David Lynch movie I like. I might like Blue Velvet on a second viewing, but didn't like it on a first. As for Mulholland Drive not having visual appeal, I suppose it does kind of look like a 90s TV movie, but it's still decent enough, looks wise. I really like the story and script though, and those are the highlights.

One of my favourite movies of all time!

Here is my weird and vague interpretation if anyone is interested lmao
So it starts with the amnesia things and first I thought that all the weird sequences with the men and the actress thing ("that's the girl") was the Spanish girl trying to piece everything together. So solving her life through those dream sequences. I had a feeling that she would be Camilla Rhodes because of "the girl" being Camilla Rhodes.

Then we meet the blonde girl 'Betty', the aunt 'Ruth', and the landlord 'Coco'. Then we see that Betty goes on audition and they all love her and send her to another audition, the one with the guy that is supposed to cast Camilla as 'the girl', except in the dream sequence, Camille is a blonde girl. We see that Adam looks at 'Betty' like he would rather cast her than 'Camilla', but he was forced to cast Camilla by the cowboy. This is a sign of 'Betty', aka Diana Selwyn thinking there is a reason why she wasn't cast for that movie, why the real Camilla ('Rita') was cast, she imagined there was a whole maffia complot behind it.

Then we see that 'Rita' thinks her real name is 'Diane', and they go finding the real Diane Selwyn. They end up seeing a dead body at Diane's apartment. This I think was a metaphor of her dead dreams and basically her being dead without 'Rita', 'cause we see at the end that she ends up being rejected by her.

Then the sex & opera scene happen. Where they keep stressing that everything is just an illusion. This for me was the first key that it was all fake. Well, during the sex scene it was also kinda obvious. was too good to be real. Reminded me of the Mila x Natalie Portman girl on girl action in Black Swan, which was also a dream. Then when 'Rita' opens the blue box, the whole dream sequence ends and we see who 'Betty' really is.
I think the blue box signifies Diane's conscious telling her that she actually ordered a hitman on Camilla. Because later we see that she hired a hitman on Camilla. Whether that really happened is another question. but if so, the blue box ending the dream would mean that Diane would wake up all shocked and with the realization that she ordered a kill.

Then we find out in 'real life' that all the pieces of the puzzle come together. Everyone we met in the dream is linked to Diane in real life, except they're different people. 'Coco' is actually Adam's mother. And her aunt has been dead for a while, so 'Ruth' wasn't really her aunt.The Spanish girl is actually Camilla Rhodes and she's together with Adam, and seems to have a thing with Camilla of the dream too. In real life, Diane Selwyn is gross and failed. So the dream is easily distinguished from reality.

So all in all it's all a dream because Diana is obsessed with Camilla and in her (drug)dream, her and Camilla are together and because Camilla suffers from amnesia, she doesn't think about Adam or 'Camilla', she just is with Diane and focusses on her and falls in love with her. So in her dream, they could actually end up together. But she wakes up before there's a happy ending. Because there never will be a happy ending, not even in her imagination. She killed Camilla off, and even her subconscious knows that now.
So in my head, it's the dinner sequence that's first, then the hitman thing, then the 'amnesia' storyline.

I could probably write down more but I already forgot half of it.