Gatsby's New and Improved Flick Critique

→ in
Tools    

Cracking write-up there Gats, it's the best of the MP films for me and pretty consistent throughout which is no mean feat.

I grew up with Monty Python and the Holy Grail because my dad and brother loved it, but I was never a fan of it myself.

Great review though. You should write reviews more often.

You finally return and it's with such sh*t movie?

Kidding, but honestly, Monty Python has never quite been my kind of humor - at least not all the way through - but I do love my British humor and think it's possibly the best kind of humor there is.

Anyways, don't think I've ever seen The Holy Grail in full. I got tired and annoyed by it after a while and didn't feel like continuing.

One day...

Master of My Domain
You finally return and it's with such sh*t movie?

Kidding, but honestly, Monty Python has never quite been my kind of humor - at least not all the way through - but I do love my British humor and think it's possibly the best kind of humor there is.

Anyways, don't think I've ever seen The Holy Grail in full. I got tired and annoyed by it after a while and didn't feel like continuing.

One day...
Hey hey, I think you can only call it a sh*t movie after you've finished the whole thing! Give it another try.

Master of My Domain
Dark City (1998)

Directed by: Alexander Proyas
Starring: Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland, Rufus Sewell

I've always wanted to bathe in purple water

Dark City is unlike most science fiction movies I¡¯ve ever seen. Overly-saturated genres such as science fiction and horror have a tendency to have their own set of clichés that are used over and over again in countless films. But this film delivers striking amount of originality; it makes The Matrix look crummy in comparison. It also blends a few genres, the most noticeable being noir. The plot might have had an abundance of explosions, special effects, and breathtaking (and tiresome) battle sequences. Instead, it actually tells a story, a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, always full of ideas, twists and imagination. Even old Hollywood films don¡¯t have such a nimble narrative. Rarely does one come across film that is determined to venture beyond the conventional limits.

Like I said, Dark City has a plot that is constantly on the move, changing and twisting, so it impossible to review it without being vague. Let¡¯s just say that a man named John Murdoch played by Rufus Sewell wakes up in a hotel with no memory of his past. At first he believes he is going insane, but slowly starts to unravel the mystery. Meanwhile, there is a secretive underworld controlled by ominous beings called ¡°The Strangers¡±. For some reason, these extra-terrestrial creatures are interested in us humans, especially Rufus Sewell¡¯s character.

The film begins with a zoom-in shot that slowly narrows through a cluster of shady building lacking height, and you¡¯ll noticed that the overall look is a bit different. It¡¯s a combination of the past and future: the dimly-lit streets, rectangular cars, and fedora hats (my personal favorite ) give off a film noir vibe, but futuristic places exist in between, such as a self-service restaurant, where you put in cash, press a button and voila – dinner.

Director Alexander Proyas uses the descriptive and creative world he is given to describe characters or situations. The first few scenes starring a single confused character have a lot of areas in the frame covered by dark, obscure spots. Occasionally lights will flash and cover up those holes for a moment, then disappear into the unknown oblivion. This perfectly describes John Murdoch¡¯s psychological inner torment – he seems to be getting a grasp of things, but nothing seems to be crystal clear. When he is walking down streets, or hiding behind a wall, we can only see one-third of the street, then the camera quickly cuts to another location. Cars movie busily, slowly revealing hidden roads, and trains blaze overhead – yet the destinations are unknown.

Dark City is a one-of-a-kind science fiction film, and it reminds me more of Metropolis than 2001: A Space Odyssey. The special effects are a bit clunky, blurred and have a color scheme consisting of black, brown, and blue. The Strangers have a not so pleasant design and lack grace. Polished looks are a rarity here, but these all fit in perfectly. Luckily, as the film progresses, you might be a bit surprised – an influence from 2001 does indeed exist.

I really do wish I could do a spoiler-filled review of this film. I have so much to talk about. Maybe it will come to life when someday, all MoFos have seen it. When I first sat down on my trusty couch (and also on my trusty dog, by accident), the expectation level was decimally low. None of the actors, producers, or directors could ring my mental bell. After 100 minutes, I was genuinely surprised and filled with excitement. Alas, curious Gatsby has discovered another masterpiece.

Dammit, haven't seen that one yet, Gats.

I have wanted to for quite some time though and I'll be sure to check out your review whenever I get around to the film.

Master of My Domain
Dammit, haven't seen that one yet, Gats.

I have wanted to for quite some time though and I'll be sure to check out your review whenever I get around to the film.
It's a spoiler-free review MM.

Another film I've not seen since the year or so it came out, but I've always been happy to recommend it to anyone. I don't know if I'd like it as much now, but I enjoyed it a lot back then.

Really like Dark City but the final few minutes do let it down a little imo.

Master of My Domain
Really like Dark City but the final few minutes do let it down a little imo.
Could you be a bit more specific? Use them spoiler tags.

Could you be a bit more specific? Use them spoiler tags.
WARNING: spoilers below
Primarily I think the confrontation is a little cheesily done

Master of My Domain
Primarily I think the confrontation is a little cheesily done
Ah I see, but I enjoyed the cheesy vibe, because I thought of Dark City as a sophisticated film as well as a b movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dark City is an underrated masterpiece in my opinion and is in my top ten of all-time.

If you ever decide to get the DVD, listen to Roger Ebert's commentary. Yes he did a commentary for the film.

Proyas hasn't ever been better. This film and The Crow are his two stand-out films and he needs to abandon these big budget blockbusters that will ultimately fail (Gods of Egypt) and return to something on the lower end to spark some sort of creative genius back in his brain. When you have money, things become lazy. Look at Tim Burton.

I feel like I'll watch this film again this weekend.

Suspect's Reviews

Dark City is one of my favorites. I don't know where to put it...sci-fi, fantasy, horror, opium dreams or somewhere else. It's just so "out there", doesn't make any rational sense, but it does stimulate that sort of right-brained, non-linear form of response. The look is noir-ish but not noir, with overtones of sado-masochism and even more opium dreams. Every now and again, I have to watch it again and I always enjoy it.

Master of My Domain
If you ever decide to get the DVD, listen to Roger Ebert's commentary. Yes he did a commentary for the film.
I know, his praise for the film is one of the main reasons why I decided to check out Dark City.

When you have money, things become lazy.
To be exact, he's becoming lazy because he needs to make money. Cash won't roll in if you have an amazing artistic vision and creativity.

Dark City is one of my favorites. I don't know where to put it...sci-fi, fantasy, horror, opium dreams or somewhere else.
I like movies that combine multiple genres in a meaningful way and "Dark City" certainly is one of those. But I place it under mystery as primary genre, because it revolves around protagonist trying to figure out what is happening.

It's been years since I watched Dark City. I wonder how I'd feel about it now. The impression I have in my memory is that it was decent, but not a masterpiece. I seem to remember the acting being a bit weak, but the cinematography being quite strong.

It makes The Matrix look crummy in comparison.
I completely disagree with this.

Rarely does one come across film that is determined to venture beyond the conventional limits.
It makes me sad to hear you say this. You just need to watch more unconventional movies.

I would strongly recommend you watch Avalon (2001). I think it's right up your alley.