The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

So, @Yoda, are you just going to reuse a bunch of the hint for today's films when Shawshank Redemption shows up?
you better be careful of asking that, he'll make one of the hints Inception and turn it around and it's actually Shawshank to throw you off you must want inception to make the list lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I remember the huge impact One Flew Over had on me when I watched it maybe 10 years ago. I couldn't believe that lobotomy was actually a thing. The shocking way the film just carries on at the end with no repercussions for Ratchet, and it's just life as normal despite the fact they've deleted someone who basically wasn't mentally ill.

Back to the Future was a childhood favourite but I don't think I've watched it fully since the 90s.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was in my top5: Friendship and madness, that positive madness that distracts you, for a moment, from the problems and routine of a claustrophobic environment. Many times laughter works better than medicine.
Jack Nicholson a sunbeam, over the top as always. Infinite respect for him.

"Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!"

"That's Calvin Klein !! Oh my God, he's a dream."

Back to the Future fanboy since '85 so high nostalgia and re-watch value for me, in my top 10 forever, #5 on my ballot. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a great film with great performances, didn't vote for it.

Seen: 57/68

Ballot: 8/25
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
3. The Godfather: Part II 1974 (35)
4. The Terminator 1984 (56)
5. Back to the Future 1985 (34)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 (42)
20. Rear Window 1954 (40)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)

@Yoda, I was unable to rep the two reveal posts, first time this happened, no biggie just thought I would let you know (on PC/Chrome browser).

@Yoda, I was unable to rep the two reveal posts, first time this happened, no biggie just thought I would let you know (on PC/Chrome browser).
Please PM me all bug reports directly, if you can, since I'll inevitably have follow-up questions and I don't wanna derail the thread too much. Thank you!

Only replying here in the thread myself to let everyone else know to do the same.

Back to the Future is a lot of fun. Definitely one of the better 80's teen comedies I've seen. While that isn't a genre that sticks with me the further I delve into classic/foreign film, I do have a lot of respect for that one, though it's not a favorite of mine.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a different story though. It didn't quite make my top 25 (I have it at #30), but it's definitely a masterpiece, one that I often forget great it is. Like Late Spring, my experience with it is a pattern of "maybe I enjoyed this more than I should've" only to be wowed all over again when I rewatch it, experiencing the dreamlike beauty of McMurphy rising up against the institution's staff, the dreamlike quality of their various instances of escapism, or the powerful and charismatic performances by many of the actors (beyond Nicholson and Fletcher), while a layer of political commentary informed by Forman's own struggles in Czechoslovakia bubbles underneath the surface. A year or two ago, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was in my top 10, except it moved down since then (I'm long overdue for a rewatch). I'm curious to see how high it would've made it on this list had it remained that high.

Hint breakdown:

McMurtry's been sentenced.

Both time travel references.

Double-duty: a reference to time, and I almost spelled this "patients" but I think everyone would've gotten it immediately.

Self-explanatory.

When you put it like that, it looks so easy Now I look at it and think "of course!"

Two great additions...

Back to the Future is a huge favorite of mine, and I had it at #25. I think it's one of the most entertaining films out there and one that I often think that most people enjoy. Been watching it frequently since I was a kid, and I always find myself thrilled at the whole last act at the clock tower, but as I've grown older, I find myself appreciating more the performances of everybody, and the little details in the story. I'm also a huge fan of the sequels, but I'm so glad to see this one here.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a film I came to see late in my life (2015, according to Letterboxd), but I thought it was great. Well acted and written, and quite breezy for a 2+ hour film. However, I really didn't think about it when I assembled my list.

My Summary:

Seen: 59/68
My list: 8/25

My List  

Cukoo's Nest was my #19. I have loved since my first viewing early 90's. Nicholson anchors, but there is so much to love about it. It's funny, and it has that 70's aesthetic that I adore. Watched it for the 4th or 5th time a couple years ago, I do think maybe now that I am viewing films a little more critically thematically that it a little wonky from that standpoint. I really didn't care when I was watching it though. That ending is the perfect mix of devastation and exhilaration.

BTTF was a very big , top five, kind of favorite of mine for a long time. I definitely overwatched it though. Have given it a 4 my last two watches. I just see the seams now. Still one of the movies I think about bits from the most though. I loved the speaker blow out moment so much for some reason. My youngest really liked the movie when I showed it to him too, that's always a great feeling. Definitely feel it belongs on a list like this, glad to see it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
you better be careful of asking that, he'll make one of the hints Inception and turn it around and it's actually Shawshank to throw you off you must want inception to make the list lol
Actually, not really. I just started guessing it midway through everything and kept guessing it every day just out of a sense of determination to be right at least once.

Using Raul's list, if eight miss I think they will be:

The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
Psycho
Casablanca
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Se7en
Reservoir Dogs
Matrix
Fellowship of the Ring
Return of the King
Dark Knight
Up
Shining
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blade Runner
Jaws
Taxi Driver
Alien
A Clockwork Orange
Once Upon a Time in the West
Dr. strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
All About Eve
Citizen Kane
Fargo
Wall E
Social Network
Inception
Back to the Future
Star Wars Episode 5
Apocalypse now
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
On the Waterfront
Double Indemnity
The Master
Cuckoo's
Rashomon
Chinatown
Lebowski
Departed

Maybe swap Reservoir Dogs for The Departed.

There's absolutely no way that Citizen Kane misses out. If it does, I'm leaving this forum and not coming back

Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West are absolutely locks too and the same goes for them.

Back to the Future is a film that I loved a lot when I was younger. I used to watch it a lot and found the whole concept of time travel really interesting. I used to watch the third one a lot too, but it's the first that definitely holds up as the most solid on more recent viewings. One of the film's biggest strengths as many have mentioned are the comedic elements, I love little bits like the Calvin Klein comment, the Ronald Reagan one, the Marvin Berry phonecall punchline from the scene Skepsis linked. A very good, enjoyable film but not something I consider an absolute favourite now.

I enjoyed Cuckoo's Nest when I watched it a few years back. I hardly remember anything about it bar a few scenes, so it's just in my memory as a "good film" for now.

Hey, @Yoda, Nicholson's character is named R.P. McMurphy, not McMurtry.

Were you thinking of this guy?

Yeah I wasn't sure but was in a hurry so I didn't bother to check.

Also think I saw the movie like a decade ago. I admired it but I've never really wanted to return to it, for whatever reason. I just remember thinking Danny DeVito was adorable.

Using Raul's list, if eight miss I think they will be:

The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
Psycho
Casablanca
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Se7en
Reservoir Dogs
Matrix
Fellowship of the Ring
Return of the King
Dark Knight
Up
Shining
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blade Runner
Jaws
Taxi Driver
Alien
A Clockwork Orange
Once Upon a Time in the West
Dr. strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
All About Eve
Citizen Kane
Fargo
Wall E
Social Network
Inception
Back to the Future
Star Wars Episode 5
Apocalypse now
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
On the Waterfront
Double Indemnity
The Master
Cuckoo's
Rashomon
Chinatown
Lebowski
Departed

Maybe swap Reservoir Dogs for The Departed.

There's absolutely no way that Citizen Kane misses out. If it does, I'm leaving this forum and not coming back

Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West are absolutely locks too and the same goes for them.
I would strike Inception, Departed, and probably Wall-E. Reinstate Samurai,Indemnity, and something else. Master is probably wishful thinking. I really want to see All About Eve as well.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah I wasn't sure but was in a hurry so I didn't bother to check.

Also think I saw the movie like a decade ago. I admired it but I've never really wanted to return to it, for whatever reason. I just remember thinking Danny DeVito was adorable.
He was! Since this was the first time I saw a LOT of these actors (I saw it way before you were born, mister!), I honestly thought a lot of them might have actually been extras brought in from an actual ward somewhere. (Hey, I was a teenager and we didn't have IMDb. What did I know?) Even the small performances in this one were epic.

Having said that, I find it a tough film to rewatch. It's just a little suffocating to watch what happens to Nicholson's character.