The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have a bunch of 1920s film that I would put above Metropolis, all of them pre-1927, but I didn't even get them on my Top 25. At this point, I doubt anyone else would, so you might be right. There's also A Trip to the Moon. A dark horse maybe? I doubt anybody had that one too.
You guys think so small. How about 19th century? Sallie Gardner at a Gallop FTW.

I am ashamed to admit I've never seen Metropolis. I fully accept being burned at the stake!

*I usually decide what films to watch based off of Sight & Sounds' full list of 282 movies at random. Metropolis is on there. I just haven't landed on it yet, so blame the random number generator I use! I'll probably get to it in 2021 though.

I have a strange relationship with Magnolia. When I first watched it, it blew me away. I was impressed with everything about it (the parental neglect themes, the style, the montages, everything) and I ranked it as one of my favorite films of all time. When I revisited it a year or two later, I had met many people in real life who experienced similar traumas to the characters in the film, so many scenes effected me on a much deeper level. Then I got to the ending, which impressed me less that time around. Like, I get its point.
WARNING: spoilers below
Instead of all the sub-plots wrapping up in a conventional way, something completely unexpected and bizarre can happen. This is an interesting theme in and of itself and I'm sure it would've worked well for another movie. As for this film though, it was hardly hammered into the film much beyond the opening few minutes and the ending. Concerning how much focus was placed on the parental neglect themes and how little focus was placed on the themes from the bookends, it ultimately felt tacked on.

Master of My Domain
You guys think so small. How about 19th century? Sallie Gardner at a Gallop FTW.
Man I miss the really good OLD days of film when there wasn't any politics or stupid CGI involved... back in my day we watched HORSES GALLOP and TRAINS ARRIVE AT A STATION, entertainment doesn't get better than that

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen Magnolia.
Watched Metropolis for the first time in the pre-30s HoF where it took first place. I ranked it in the Pre-30s Countdown at #4 and it made my list here at #23. It's also one of two films on my list that I only saw once prior to making the list.

Metropolis

Flash Card: One man's hymn of praise became other men's curses

It's pretty easy to see why Metropolis is in the echelon of iconic films that, while not everyone has seen, they do know of or have heard of it.
Fritz Lang went all out when creating and filming this. From the 37,000 extras to the futuristic details in the various rooms and the city-scape,

creating something that would outlast his own lifetime.

With the dark, zombie-like walk into work (the machines) as we, along with Freder, discover what dismal existence is meted out to the workers to attain the utopia that he and his fellow upper citizens enjoy, to the eventual uprising; we are hooked and remain so.

While I did find Freder a bit on the lukewarm side, there were a number of others that really shined in this film.
Fritz Rasp's Thin Man had such a great foreboding, I easily saw him as inspiration for countless long-limbed enforcers since.
Rudolf Klein-Rogge DID get a bit over the top as the Inventor, his mad scientist got a little comic bookish at times, he still was a great sight to behold.
And, of course, Brigette Helm was truly phenomenal, ESPECIALLY when playing the Machine Man impersonating Maria

with such robotic mischief. Absolutely loved those scenes as she roused and incited the crowds into rioting.

A pretty extraordinary film and I'm VERY glad to see the extended, polished rendition of this film.
Also, while there were two musical scores on youtube, I went with classical music which really added to the enjoyment of this. Though, after reading Cosmic's viewing with metal music I would be VERY curious to try it out that way as well. I'm sure it would be freakin' awesome.

Movies Watched 21 out of 28 (75%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1968) #81
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

For what it's worth, Roundhay Garden Scene (1888) is generally thought to be the first film ever made. Sallie Gardner at a Gallop wasn't presented as a film when it was released. It's actually an example of chronophotography, which was a precursor of film, but isn't the same thing.

I wonder if (1922) Nosferatu will make it?
Can't say it won't, so will have to see, if anything I say before the top 50, I predict the top 50 is gonna very interesting with movies from the top 30 from 2010s list going high up a bit or shockingly be bumped off the list, who knows.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

For what it's worth, Roundhay Garden Scene (1888) is generally thought to be the first film ever made. Sallie Gardner at a Gallop wasn't presented at a film when it was released. its actually an example of chronophotography, which was a precursor of film, but isn't the same thing.
Oh, I wasn't being serious. Click on the link and see what we actually did with that (and note the date).

I am ashamed to admit I've never seen Metropolis. I fully accept being burned at the stake

*realizes SpelingError is a willing participant*

*immediately returns kindling to the woodshed*

Magnolia was my #1. I have gushed plenty over PTA around here over the past few years so check out some of my reviews if you if you want to hear me fanboy. PTA is by far my favorite director and I could have put 4 or 5 of his movies on my list if I hadn't limited myself to.one per director. I love it, thought it might not make, so pleased it did.

I didn't expect to love a three hour silent when I turned it on, but I sure did. Metropolis is astounding. Well cemented in my 100 but a ways from my fave 25. Glad to see it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No points from me.

Magnolia has many audacious scenes, such as the "communal" singing and the frogs. It crams so many characters into it I guess it's only natural to think that some are more interesting and successful than others. It's the fact that Anderson loves and feels for these characters which make him a personal filmmaker to me. I cannot totally relate to all his characters so at times, I have to step back a bit and question why I'm seeing what I am.
Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
Classic Rating:

I finally got around to watching this again, this time with Sarah. I'm glad I did. If you have the time and just let it wash over you (preferably the restored version with clean, clear subtitles), it moves along very quickly. On the other hand, it does seem to cram in a lotta plot into one film, but somehow it mostly resolves itself at the end.

First off, the main reasons for watching Metropolis are the super sets, special effects and all the elements of the production design. Sometimes the camerawork appears hand-held, especially in closeups of some of the "action scenes". Then again, much as his fellow countryman F.W. Murnau did in his American film Sunrise (also 1927), Lang uses all kinds of photo and editing trickery to incorporate paranoia and disorientation; one of my fave of these is the shot of all the eyes superimposed together when the rich young men of the upper world are seduced by the "robotic" Maria and begin to fight and kill each other over her and her charms. That eye shot certainly reminded me of some of Dali's later work in films. There are so many spectacular shots, setd effects that one could write a book detailing the creation and subliminal effect of each one, but this is not the place for that, although it would be interesting to hear some of other viewer's favorite visual flourishes.
As far as plot points go, maybe I can list a few and see what people think of each one and how they may help/hinder the overall film and what it's trying to accomplish.

1. Metropolis is a huge city where the rich and powerful have a wonderful life consisting mostly of modern technology and entertainment while the workers live underground as almost slaves and never even see the light of day. What I would like to know is whether Metropolis is supposed to be representative of an entire futuristic world, an anomoly or something parents tell their children as a bedtime story beginning with "Once upon a time... ".

2. There is a saintly woman named Maria (Brigitte Helm) who tries to pick up the spirits of the workers by telling them that a Mediator will come one day to reconcile the Hands (the workers) with the Head [the founder of Metropolis, Joh Frederson (Alfred Abel)]. Maria speaks to people in front of a group of crosses and attracts Joh's son Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) who decides that he could be the Mediator. I'm not especially up on my German, but Joh sure seems like John, so we could have the characters of John and Mary somehow coming together to "create" a Mediator named Freder, which sounds a lot like "Freedom".

3. Joh has a rival in the character of a "mad scientist" named Rotwang (Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Dr. Mabuse himself). The scientist seems similar to both Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Strangelove. The reason Rotwang and Joh are rivals dates back to the fact that they both loved the same woman, Hel, who married Joh but died giving birth to Freder. Rotwang invents a robot which can appear human and kidnaps Maria to turn this robot into a Maria who will incite the masses.

4. The world of the workers and the way in which Joh interracts with it seems to have also inspired Charles Chaplin's use of technology and class struggle in Modern Times. I even see a strong resemblance between the appearance of the leader of Chaplin's factory and Joh Frederson. This also brings me to the concept of how the technology works in the utopian upper part of the city. Near the end, after the workers have destroyed the heart machine and power is shut off above ground, we see all the ground transportation piled up in what appears to be a freeway. We also see none of the planes and other flying vehicles in the air. This implies that all modes of transportation above ground run due to the Heart Machine and not due to something resembling gasoline.

5. The final third of the film turns into something resembling a disaster flick when the bottom levels flood and all the workers' children have to be saved by Freder, Maria and Josaphat (Theodor Loos), a man in the employ of Joh who is also Freder's good friend. Ultimately, it turns the entire film into a story about Family and how all the characters seem to believe that it's the most important thing in their lives, even if they'd occasionally rather wreak destruction, burn "witches" and have wild dancing revels while doing so.

6. I've left out many other points which almost seem superfluous but are included in the film. These include the relationship of 11811 [Georgy] (Erwin Biswanger), a worker, with Freder, and the way the Thin Man (Fritz Rasp) spies on Freder and intercepts Georgy. Both the characters of Georgy and the Thin Man were previously only discussed in intertitles because they were part of the lost footage, but now with the restoration, what they have to do with the film is much clearer. They may be incidental characters but they help to flesh out themes of friendship and mistrust.

Metropolis and Blade Runner
I realize that this is a superficial summary of some of the content of Metropolis, but I'm going to leave it at this for now since I'm still waiting for others to discuss it in more detailed or specific terms.

Magnolia was my #1. I have gushed plenty over PTA around here over the past few years so check out some of my reviews if you if you want to hear me fanboy. PTA is by far my favorite director and I could have put 4 or 5 of his movies on my list if I hadn't limited myself to.one per director. I love it, thought it might not make, so pleased it did.

I didn't expect to love a three hour silent when I turned it on, but I sure did. Metropolis is astounding. Well cemented in my 100 but a ways from my fave 25. Glad to see it.
Magnolia is a 3 hour silent movie? wow that would be torture for me to watch lol

Stand by me, really happy to see that many other people voted for this movie. It is a nostalgic film that makes us think about the meaning of life. Friends and experiences lived together, the only riches that will remain in our hearts forever when we grow up.

Magnolia is a 3 hour silent movie? wow that would be torture for me to watch lol
Not sure if you were joking but Metropolis is the silent movie

Not sure if you were joking but Metropolis is the silent movie
I wrote Metropolis at first then I thought you meant Magnolia, sorry I got confused