Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

→ in
Tools    

Without getting into spoilers, I really loved this movie. The well-known Tarantino-esque touch was there, with lots of snappy dialogue, dark humour and a well thought-out script, but it also felt like a love-letter to film in general, in the way it was shot and the throwback-scenes to older movies and serials.

Considering this is one of Tarantino's final films, it's evident he wants to go out with a bang and really showcase his love for cinema, which is equally shared by me.

This might be one of his, if not the best films he has ever made, on par with Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds and The Hateful Eight.

Welcome to the human race...
I figured they had shown up to attack the Polanski house as originally planned, but Rick catching them beforehand makes him into a loose end (and possibly a more opportune target as he'd clearly been drinking heavily) - they don't realise Cliff is there until they walk inside.

Anyway, I finally got to see it and...it's fine. Probably doesn't help that I had to wait through three spoiler-filled weeks to see it as I think this would really benefit from going in cold, but I wasn't totally feeling the hangout vibe it was going for (even though it seems like my kind of thing). Will be interested to see how it holds up on repeat viewings, though, but as of right now I'd consider it one of his lesser works.

I saw the movie recently. The cast is amazing, the last fight was breathtaking! Great job!

This is hilarious!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Anyway, I finally got to see it and...it's fine. Probably doesn't help that I had to wait through three spoiler-filled weeks to see it as I think this would really benefit from going in cold, but I wasn't totally feeling the hangout vibe it was going for (even though it seems like my kind of thing). Will be interested to see how it holds up on repeat viewings, though, but as of right now I'd consider it one of his lesser works.
I agree. Reservoir Dogs & Pulp Fiction much more brilliant movies IMO.

First time viewing was very underwhelming, but sat down the next day & watched it again. Pitt & Leonardo are brilliant in their roles & there are good cameos too. Second viewing was better & I understood the story better too. (Hard to believe Brad is 10 years older than Leonardo.) Enjoyable movie, but will never watch it again.

Welcome to the human race...
I've watched it a couple of times since then and my opinion of it has improved. Still undecided as to where I'd rank it against his other stuff - always hard to do that with the newer releases going up against the established classics.

I’ve watched it three times so far. First time in theatres, i found it long, slow, with some fun moments and an outrageously entertaining ending. The second time at home, I really got into it. Brilliant film with hilarious dialogue, perfect chemistry between Leo and Brad, excellent performances by the supporting cast (that little girl killed it). I plan on watching it again soon. I’d rank the film Tarantino’s third or fourth best film.

⬆️ Julia Butters, the little girl, is very talented. She’s gonna be a beauty, I think.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Trippy. I'm rewatching this tonight and wanted to reread what was being written at the time. I scroll back a bit to notice this still and, as I paused to read it, that scene started to play.

Like the Tate-LaBianca murders, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a senseless massacre; and like Charles Manson's Helter Skelter scenario, the film's script is but the incoherent ranting and raving of an egomaniacal lunatic.

That this near-three hour-long dumpster fire is at all watchable is a testament to the combined talents of Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, who have undeniable onscreen chemistry. Somewhere under the landslide of pointless cameos lies buried a good movie about Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth.

Instead, we get interminable scenes of Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) going book shopping, going to the movies, and so on and so forth. This would actually go a long way —figuratively, that is, as opposed to just literally — toward creating a sense of dread as we anticipate Sharon’s unavoidable doom.

Leave it to Tarantino, however, to find a way to avoid it. Somehow, the only thing in worse taste than exploiting her ignominious death is giving it the Inglorious Basterds revisionist treatment. These aren’t Marvel characters that you can bring back from the dead by snapping your fingers; Tate and the other Manson family victims were real human beings with hopes and dreams. Does Tarantino really believe that we need his arrogant, pompous ass to tell us that they should have lived and not died?

The saddest part of all is that QT didn’t used to be an arrogant, pompous ass. In fact, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood may remind you of Pulp Fiction’s interweaving stories — except for the 'interweaving' part. There is a lot of cause-and-effect in Pulp Fiction; Jules's encounter with Ringo at the restaurant would have gone very differently had Jules not previously experienced his "miracle," and Jules and Vincent would not have ended up in that restaurant to begin with if Vincent had not shot Marvin in the face.

In contrast, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is all random meandering. It makes little or no difference whether Rick goes to Italy to shoot spaghetti westerns or Cliff visits the Spahn Ranch or not, because absolutely nothing that happens before the arbitrarily tacked-on climax leads in any way to it. The movie beats around the bush for over 150 minutes before finally arriving at any kind of destination only to make us wish, once it gets there, that it had just continued wandering aimlessly.

For me this is the best Tarantino movie.... ever.... easy.