Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

The Belko Experiment (2016)

Not really much to say about this one. Acting wasn't great and it was pretty predictable. Plus points for the violence but overall it was disappointing.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

Comedy/horror. Kind of a hard one to rate because there is a lot to like but some scenes (especially near the end) just went on for too long.

(curved)
Ick! This is a pretty nasty, tasteless little blood and boobs exploitation flick. Not Last House on the Left nasty, but nasty nonetheless. A religious NNNNUT in nice shoes is stalking and killing centerfold models because boobs are bad and pollute minds, mkay. That's it. It wasn't fun or even funny in an unintentional way. Gotta dig through the crud sometimes to find the gold.

I can't say that I enjoy Lanthimos' films but they're also very hard to stop watching once you get going. Farrell is a surgeon who killed a man by performing surgery after a few drinks. The deceased mans son puts a curse on Farrell's family that only Farrell can break. It's well done but if your not familiar with the directors style be prepared for some odd everything.

The Shape of Water (2017, Guillermo del Toro)

As the God's Will (2014) by Takashi Miike - 6/10

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

I really liked this movie, it feels like more of a 70s coming-down car film rather than the "swinging" type. Dennis Wilson and James Taylor play "The mechanic" and "The driver" who get involved in a cross-country race against a guy simply referred to as "GTO" (Warren Oates) for ownership of their cars. The character GTO is by far the most interesting not least because of his differing stories he tells to the various hitch-hikers during the race, kind of sinister but also pathetic and needy as he is in the knowledge he has a captive audience to preen via his stories. Less said about the acting of the two leads the better (they are musicians first and foremost after all). Kinda existential (careful at the back there ) with a dreamy striking ending...a good 8/10 for me.

ATM 2012

it could have been a good movie, but it was not.
I only liked the beginning and a good suspense in some parts, but it's not sufficient..

5/10

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (2017)

A bit of a mess, to be honest. Sometimes shocking, sometimes funny, sometimes almost touching, but swinging between moods so fast it almost gave me whiplash. There were bits that were hilarious, I'll give it that, but twice as many bits that were probably supposed to be funny that were just really awkward. The plot is full of implausibilities and contradictions, which doesn't matter so much in a comedy, but matters more when the film is asking you to take it and its characters more seriously. I don't think it was really a good screen play. In some ways it was at least not formulaic, you didn't necessarily know where it was going, but in the end I'm not sure even the writer-director knew where it was going. I enjoyed aspects of it but it never quite gelled for me.

Interesting documentary about sports doping. Overly-long & sometimes confusing to follow.

Lots of robot fetish in here but also lots of big dragon ball/nuclear style explosions and a well executed story. The art and animation are also top notch and despite being a spin off it's slightly better than the original TV show.

Mamma Mia (Phyllida Lloyd, 2008)
+
Acceptable But Borderline Average

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

...a good 8/10 for me.
I seen that recently too. This is what I said:

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Director: Monte Hellman
Writers: Rudy Wurlitzer & Will Corry (screenplay)
Cast: James Taylor, Warren Oates, Dennis Wilson, Laurie Bird
Genre: Drama

"A story of two men drag-racing across the U.S. in a primer grey '55 Chevy. Dennis Wilson is the mechanic, James Taylor is the driver."

After the success of the independently made film, Easy Rider (1969) Universal Studios Vice President talked his studio into granting five unknown film makers a chance to make a film on their own terms, without the studio interfering. He felt that small independent made films was the wave of the future and the best thing Universal Studios could do was to fiance up and coming film makers and give them carte blanche in how they made their movies.

Two-Lane Blacktop, was one of those 5 films. Hailed by the critics as something special and generally liked by the audiences that had a chance to see it. However the films chances at wide spread acclaim was killed by in-fighting, as the President of Universal Studios did not share his Vice Presidents enthusiasm for the hands off film making project. So he killed Two-Lane Blacktop chances of success by pulling the plug on advertising. The film opened to a large number of theaters with zero advertising. As a result the theaters were empty and the independent films idea backed by Universal died out.

Two-Lane Blacktop
is a plotless movie that basically lets us hang out with these road racers as they cruise down Route 66. The film has been called a time machine as it captures an America that is long gone. Today only portions of Route 66 still exist.

The cast is an unlikely pairing of musicians. James Taylor is the driver of the 55 Chevy and Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys is his mechanic. The girl in the back was an unknown actress, Laurie Bird.

The big name in the movie goes to Warren Oates who plays a rather odd character who tells a different story about his fast and wild life every chance he gets. His car is a 1971 GTO.

Like I said this isn't a conventional film, but it is special.

++

Still wondering why Meryl Streep was in this atrocious movie.
Because she loved the music of Ah-bba .