Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
and my dance card is downright vacant so I'm in, @cricket

and THANK YOU @PHOENIX74 for posting that list. That is F@CKIN AWESOME. Copied and stored that link in my PMs.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Probably would have started it by now but we're babysitting 2 dogs and 4 dogs is no joke.
No rush brother. I still got 2 more for 29th anyways.

The trick is not minding
I think, after recent events, and with Yoda’s warning, we need to still have a conversation about decorum going forward.

That being said, I’d like to be in, as I’m still disappointed I had to drop from the previous one due to the excess work I was involved in. E.H, Overtime during the weekend

I think, after recent events, and with Yoda’s warning, we need to still have a conversation about decorum going forward.

That being said, I’d like to be in, as I’m still disappointed I had to drop from the previous one due to the excess work I was involved in. E.H, Overtime during the weekend
We haven't had any issue in personal rec HoFs, perhaps due to the different format.

The trick is not minding
Check with him, and be clear that the Personal Recc has not been subject to the same issues as the HOF, and hopefully he’ll be ok with it. It shouldn’t be an issue, since the Personal Recc have been much more easy going.

We've had many, many, many HoFs with hundreds of movies and a ton of people joining them over the years.

The problems as I see them aren't so much about the rules of HoFs, it's about a small number of people who developed grudges and/or are hyper sensitive. I've seen the same type of conflicts in past Top 100 countdowns and in personal thread and Rate the Last Movie You Saw too. The majority of us can learn and improve from any mistakes and I think we will make things even better.

I think the few posters in here who have grudges towards each other should just keep their differences out of these threads, or simply ignore whoever they dislike going forward. These HoF's are a lot of fun and great ways to get to know people on this forum, and I'm sure we'd all hate to see them gone.

I'm very out of the loop since I haven't paid attention to the main HoF thread in awhile. Just took a quick look, and apparently the thread was even temporarily locked last week.

Who would've guessed that the specialty Hall where we intentionally picked trash films would be the more fun and wholesome thread. The vibes there were fantastic, so maybe there are some lessons to be learned that we can apply to the main HoFs?

Having the right mindset going in, where you know you're going to watch some films you wouldn't otherwise, and not being bitter towards other members for their nominations clearly had an impact on everyone's overall enjoyment, despite the lack of quality of the films involved.

That's not really something we can turn into a rule, but I think everyone participating in the Halls needs to sit down and think about their mentality regarding the HoFs, and how they've been approaching them recently. Do you view them as a competition to find the very best of the best? Is it a way to share films you love with others? Is it upsetting to see a film you don't deem as "worthy", and if so, why do you think that is?

Maybe if we each understand how we personally view the Halls, we can see where the disconnect is, and start to reconcile whatever has been causing problems lately.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I hope there's not a problem with doing the Personal Rec HoF, I was - am! - looking forward to it. I do think they are functionally different from the general HoFs.

Hall of Fame controversy seems to come from questionable nominations. While it's important to nominate movies that you love, it's even more important to pick out movies with everyone else in mind. People have families, jobs, and school so time is important. It's no joke. Not everyone will get something out of a given movie, but they should be chosen with the idea that most members are likely to. We haven't had this issue in the personal rec because we are choosing from a pool of movies that already have some notoriety and respect. Of course it wouldn't happen in the Infamy HoF since folks signed on to watch crap. Choose with others in mind and criticize when warranted, but do it kindly.

Perhaps some things that could be made into a rules would be:
  • Try not to take it personally if someone doesn't like your nomination. Remember, we all have different tastes, and not everyone is going to like the same films.
  • Do not take out your frustration on other participants if you do not like the film they have nominated. It's perfectly okay to criticize the film itself, but that should not translate into hostility towards the person who chose it.
  • Interactions with participants in other threads should not dictate how you treat them or their nomination(s) in this Hall of Fame.

My suggestions for additional rules/guidelines:

No disagreeing with Allaby.
All members must admit that Allaby is always right.
All members must swear to love Allaby and any movie that Allaby likes.

Let the night air cool you off
And if somebody has a radically different taste in film than yours, let's not immediately try to push them out of the hall of fames by calling them a troll and things of that nature.

I like your comments/ideas...
I think the few posters in here who have grudges towards each other should just keep their differences out of these threads, or simply ignore whoever they dislike going forward...

...I think everyone participating in the Halls needs to sit down and think about their mentality regarding the HoFs, and how they've been approaching them recently. Do you view them as a competition to find the very best of the best? Is it a way to share films you love with others? Is it upsetting to see a film you don't deem as "worthy", and if so, why do you think that is?

Maybe if we each understand how we personally view the Halls, we can see where the disconnect is, and start to reconcile whatever has been causing problems lately.
I like that...People seem to have different reasons for joining HoFs and they are all equally good. I don't think the problem arises from someone wanting to win, in fact I'm positive about that. It's more like someone who's hypersensitive to criticism especially about a film they nominated & love...they then can take criticism very personal and get upset and that's where problems start. I've seen the same thing happen over the years in Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread. There I've had people get irate that my negative opinion of a film that they loved, was dead wrong and they then got in my face until I finally quit defending the movie.

Perhaps some things that could be made into a rules would be:
  • Try not to take it personally if someone doesn't like your nomination. Remember, we all have different tastes, and not everyone is going to like the same films.
  • Do not take out your frustration on other participants if you do not like the film they have nominated. It's perfectly okay to criticize the film itself, but that should not translate into hostility towards the person who chose it.
  • Interactions with participants in other threads should not dictate how you treat them or their nomination(s) in this Hall of Fame.

And if somebody has a radically different taste in film than yours, let's not immediately try to push them out of the hall of fames by calling them a troll and things of that nature.
Total agree. I want to host the 30th HoF and that will be a posted rule. The members of the 29th have been talking about ways to improve the HoFs and that was one of the main points that needed to be done, along with what Cosmic said up there^

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hall of Fame controversy seems to come from questionable nominations. While it's important to nominate movies that you love, it's even more important to pick out movies with everyone else in mind.[...] We haven't had this issue in the personal rec because we are choosing from a pool of movies that already have some notoriety and respect.

People have all kinds of reasons for picking the films they pick. It may be that you really, really love Panda Death Blast: Part VI and want to share that love. Maybe you know everyone will hate it but you get a kick out of making them watch it anyway (especially that controversial scene about that controversial topic because you just know it will get people fired up and then you get to have a whole debate about it in the thread). Maybe you know most people will hate it but if there is a chance that at least one person who wouldn't otherwise have given it a chance loves it too, it will have been a worthwhile nom. Maybe you're pretty sure everyone will hate it but that just confirms your own sense of superiority because you get it, you're cool. Maybe you haven't a clue what people will make of it and are just curious because you know, only 16 people have even rated it on imdb and you've never met another person who has even heard of it. Maybe you're sure everyone will love it just like you do.

I think the fundamental difference is that in a general HoF you are nominating just one film whereas in the personal rec HoF, the nomination is more focused on the recipient, so the reasons for nominating are different. You're picking more films, too, so people are less likely to get so invested in their only nom or upset if it's not well received. And since not everyone is watching all the same films, not everyone is in the thread with an opinion about each mentioned film. There's more control for the recipient too, as they can specify preferences or types of movies they wouldn't like. And Panda Death Blast: Part VI isn't on the mofo lists anyway. (Which is not to say that there aren't films that could be controversial.)

(Personally I prefer Panda Death Blast: Part III. It's been diminishing returns since then in the Panda Death Blast franchise.)