I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

Tools    

When I say new I mean new to me.

It seems I'm running out of good/interesting movies to rent on Netflix. So I come here asking for your help.

I'm looking for off beat recommendations for the following genres

Action-adventure
Sci-fi/fantasy
Thillers
Psychological

Feel free to combine any of these together

While these are my most favorite genres I do like all others save for chick flicks, all others are good (horror, not so much)

For the most part assume I've seen most of the good ones in each area.

Thanx from a noob in this forums

CT

Action-adventure
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Excalibur

Sci-fi/fantasy
A Boy & His Dog
Alphaville: Une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
Gattaca
eXistenZ
Dune

Thillers
Frailty

Action-adventure
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Excalibur

Sci-fi/fantasy
A Boy & His Dog
Alphaville: Une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
Gattaca
eXistenZ
Dune

Thillers
Frailty

Th eones in red I've seen, the others no.

Thanx

Good start

A good cheesy sci-fi- action movie available on Netflix (not Instant Play) is Robot Jox. I used to watch it all the time on USA back in the early 90's. Willow was a good off beat fantasy and long the same lines would be the Ewok movies, The Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. Of course they aren't Star Wars but for sci-fi they're fun. As for thrillers, do you like Hitchcock style thrillers or newer stuff? If you haven't tried any, Dial M for Murder will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.

Robot Wars: Robot Jox 2. Never seen it because it's not on DVD and the VHS is kind of expensive. That reminds me, I've never seen it but I've heard The Ice Pirates is good.

Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.
Do you mean Hitchcock's Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart? Or The Secret Window with Johnny Depp? I liked them both, but they're quite different.

Do you mean Hitchcock's Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart? Or The Secret Window with Johnny Depp? I liked them both, but they're quite different.
Oh wow I can not believe I did that. Definitely meant Rear Window... I'm ashamed of myself. I was actually thinking of mentioning how bad the Shia LaBeouf ripoff is, Disturbia or something like that.

okay, i'm using these genres kind of loosely, but here are some recommendations.

thriller:
femme fatale
deep red
naked killer
vertigo
time and tide

sci-fi:
la jetee
twelve monkeys
the fly
akira
paprika
the prestige

fantasy:
kwaidan
zu: warriors of the magic mountain (1983)
the tempest (2010)
adventures of robin hood

Boy oh boy! It's the try and guess which movies a total stranger has or hasn't seen game. Sounds like fun, but I'll sit out this round.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Boy oh boy! It's the try and guess which movies a total stranger has or hasn't seen game. Sounds like fun, but I'll sit out this round.

A shame because Betty White's playing this week.

A good cheesy sci-fi- action movie available on Netflix (not Instant Play) is Robot Jox. I used to watch it all the time on USA back in the early 90's. Willow was a good off beat fantasy and long the same lines would be the Ewok movies, The Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. Of course they aren't Star Wars but for sci-fi they're fun. As for thrillers, do you like Hitchcock style thrillers or newer stuff? If you haven't tried any, Dial M for Murder will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.

Nice, I have only seen 1 of these.

Oh wow I can not believe I did that. Definitely meant Rear Window... I'm ashamed of myself. I was actually thinking of mentioning how bad the Shia LaBeouf ripoff is, Disturbia or something like that.

Seen it a few times. Love it and Grace Kelly

So far, I haven't seen most you're all naming.

Seen it a few times. Love it and Grace Kelly
Yeah Grace Kelly is my absolute favorite actress of all time with Audrey Hepburn a very close second. And Jimmy Stewart happens to be my favorite actor of all time but Rear Window still isn't my fav movie of all time. I do love it and it's one of my top 20 for sure. But Dial M is my favorite Grace Kelly and Harvey is my favorite Jimmy Stewart, gets me every time. I wish we all had a little Elwood P. Dowd in us.

If you don't mind forigen films, you should check out the Hong Kong film Vengence.

Thanx I will look into all of these. Feel free to add more.

I'm surprised some of my weird movies aren't on your lists

Delicatessen
Naked Lunch - prob the strangest movie of all time IMO
Run Lola Run
Kafka - not available on netflix

I forgot to mention- I love apocalyptic movies and not the ones that turn out with a happy ending.

Le Dernier Combat
Damnation Alley
Death Race 2000 (The original one)
Blood of the Heroes (starring Rutger Hauer)
Soylent Green
28 Days Later
Children of Men
Six String Samurai
The Road
Glen & Randa

Machete is a great movie