Red Dragon

Tools    

Does anyone have details or info on a movie called Red Dragon which I'm told will be a prequel to Silence of the Lambs.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, this movie is already out, was released back in the '80s but had a different title. The title was/is Manhunter and it was directed by Michael Mann (Ali).

They're only updating the Manhunter movie so that Sir Anthony Hopkins is in all three (not needed, IMO). The Mann film, however, wasn't all that great, so maybe Ratner (Rush Hour 1 & 2) can salvage something with Red Dragon.

You outta find Manhunter and give it a look just to know what the film will be like (sorta kinda).
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Red Dragon, a Silence of the Lambs prequel, will be released this October. It was directed by Brett Ratner, who's previous efforts are the Chris Tucker vehicles Money Talks, Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 plus the Capra wannabe The Family Man starring Nic Cage. The screenwriter adapting Thomas Harris' novel is Ted Tally, who won an Oscar for his work on The Silence of the Lambs for Jonathan Demme.

The cast of Red Dragon includes Edward Norton as Will Graham, Ralph Fiennes as The Tooth Fairy, Harvey Keitel as Jack Crawford, Philp Seymour Hoffman as obnoxius reporter Freddy Louds and Sir Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

This Tom Harris novel has alread been filmed once, in 1986, retitled Manhunter. It starred William Petersen as Graham, Dennis Farina as Crawford, Tom Noonan as The Tooth Fairy, Stephen Lang as Louds and Brian Cox as Hannibal the Cannibal, directed by Michael Mann (Heat, Last of the Mohicans, "Miami Vice", The Insider, Ali).

Interestingly (to me, anyway), Dante Spinotti, who was the cinematographer on Manhunter, has also lensed Red Dragon.

What else did you want to know?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i have no problem with ratner, i love all of his movies.
I saw the poster for this movie the other day and it said Norton, Hopkins, and fiennes. Those three actors will make me see a movie. Now the other's on the poster, make me not wait and buy my tickects as early a possible, and run screaming, and hug everyone i see. Emily watson, harvey Keitel, Phillip Seymore hoffman, and more... Thats what makes me excited for this movie, the cast

ohh yeah i meant Sir anthony hopkins
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

crazed out movie freak
Dude that is so cool. Can't wait for this release.

Hi everybody. I love coming to boards to meet new people and talk about movies. There are so many great films out there to talk about. What is everybody's favorite movie? I would have to say that mine is The Silence of the Lambs. Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are both incredible in it. Hopkins as Hannibal Lector has to be one of the best villans ever in any film. I cannot wait until the pre-quel Red Dragon comes out this fall. I watched the trailer for it at http://www.apple.com/trailers and it got me really excited. Check it out and tell me what you think/know about the movie, and tell me what your favorite movie is!!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I really liked the book Red Dragon, and the other "Hannibal" movies, plus, Edward Norton, who is just a really good actor, so there really isn't a way to lose here. (I hope)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

"...directed by Brett Ratner..."

That's the way to lose here, but maybe he'll step up to the plate and do a fine job? Money Talks, Rush Hour, Rush Hour 2 and The Family Man are not what I would call sparkling credentials, but we'll see.

At least he didn't cast Chris Tucker as The Tooth Fairy.

Whether you liked the Rush Hour flicks or not, did you see anything in them that would make you say, 'Hey, now that is the guy to direct a re-make of Red Dragon'?

Right. Well, that's my point. But like I said, we'll see.

Enemies are so stimulating.
this film looks like silence of the lambs again. i hope it is good and worth while.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

HAVING SEEN THE TRAILER TO RED DRAGON AN READING THE BOOK, ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLY ----, MANHUNTER WAS A GOOD FILM, NO DOUBT BUT RATNER'S FILM STAYS TRUE TO THE BOOK, I CANT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE

Enemies are so stimulating.
i havent seen manhunter yet. i always forget what it is called so i cant go rent it out. ill remember this time though.

Well, I was impressed by the trailer. I like all of the actors that are gracing the film with their appearances. I like the feel of; a return to a very Silence of the Lambs atmosphere [Hannibal behind perspex again, scheming].

Ebert said in his review of Hannibal that the fear that came with Lecter plotting in a cell was a much scarier fear than Lecter on the loose -- he went from evil genius to run-of-the-mill cannibal-on-the-prowl [if a cannibal-on-the-prowl can be called run-of-the-mill]. Red Dragon seems to agree, and once again we'll get to see Hannibal at his mind-games best.

Hoorah, I say, hoorah.