Your Favorite Dark Comedy Movie

Tools    

Dark Comedy- also known as black humour is a sub-genre of comedy and satire where topics and events that are usually treated seriously — death, mass murder, suicide, sickness, madness, terror, drug abuse, rape, war, terrorism etc. — are treated in a humorous or satirical manner. Synonyms include dark humor, morbidhumour, gallows humour and off-color humour.
Black comedy, also known as black humour is a sub-genre of comedy and satire where topics and events that are usually treated seriously — death, mass murder, suicide, sickness, madness, terror, drug abuse, rape, war, terrorims etc. — are treated in a humorous or satirical manner. Synonyms include dark humor, morbid humour, gallows humour and off-color humour. (wikipedia)

I have 2: Dr. Strangelove and American Beauty

"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair
mussed, but I do say no more then ten to twenty million
killed, tops. Depending on the breaks."

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964 - Kubrick)
2. After Hours (1985 - Scorsese)
3. To Be or Not to Be (1942 - Lubitsch)
4. Delicatessen (1991 - Caro & Jeunet)
5. Unfaithfully Yours (1948 - Preston Sturges)

and (in no particular order) MASH, King of Hearts, Catch-22, Harold & Maude, Eating Raoul, The Butcher Boy, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Drowning by Numbers, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Schizopolis, Where's Poppa?, To Die For, The Producers, Parents, Serial Mom, The Great Dictator, The War of the Roses, Freeway, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Heathers, Arsenic & Old Lace, A Fish Called Wanda, The Ruling Class, Gremlins, Election, The Loved One, Lord Love a Duck, One Two Three, Kind Hearts & Coronets, Baxter, Wag the Dog, Bob Roberts, The House of Yes, Monty Python's Life of Brian and on and on and on.

*also see this older thread HERE
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
My Favs:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
After Hours
Heathers
The Big Lebowski
American Beauty
M.A.S.H.
American Psycho
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Snatch
Harold and Maude
Delicatessen
A Fish Called Wanda

My favorites:
Dr. Strangelove
Harold and Maude
A Fish Called Wanda
Heathers

Top five:

Minnie the Moocher - Creepiest of the Betty Boop/Cab Calloway films (Old Man of the Mountain and Snow-White are the others, which are also worth mentioning). Also wouldn't be surprised if Tim Burton learned a lot from these cartoons.

Repo Man
"Wait! Stick with me, I'll make you a repo wife."

The House of Yes

The Draughtsman's Contract

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

My favourite dark comedy is probably American Psycho my boy Christian Bale took that role and had the best fun with it.

However, I think that the definitive best 'dark comedy' has to be Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. That's got scenes that are supposed to be generally disturbing but outrageously funny at the same time.

The protagonist does some of the most horrific acts, but theres always this sly glee and sense of humour that suggests it doesn't take itself seriously.

Viddy well, O' my brothers!

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
Tom Schulman, 1997

"Don't ever f**k with a guy looking for heads."

crazed out movie freak
Does Garden State count? Or is that under the classification of Romantic comedy?

When I think of dark comedy The War of the Roses and Heathers immediately comes to mind.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Dark Habits (Nuns, Drugs, and Lesbian feelings all in one)

&

Kika (rape as funny as it never will be again)

Yes im not suprised that all my picks be by the INCREDIBLE Almodovar!

Throw Momma from the Train

Pulp Fiction

The Cable Guy

I Love You to Death

Dead Man on Campus