Favorite Movie By Country

Tools    

My favourite Australian film actually changed yesterday when I watched the brilliant Mary & Max but The Castle is still a great film.

If I've only ever seen one Indonesian film my choices are limited ... and I knew you'd disagree with any McQueen or Von Trier love

So where is your list?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
If I've only ever seen one Indonesian film my choices are limited ... and I knew you'd disagree with any McQueen or Von Trier love
I probably wouldn't put anything for a country I've only seen one movie from. And McQueen is the only person that should legally not be allowed to hold a camera. Von Trier has some talent, but he's a angry pre-teen, I can't take him seriously.

So where is your list?
I'll do my best
USA: Sherlock Jr.

UK: Distant Voices, Still Lives

Japan: Late Spring (too many good films!)

France: Pierrot Le Fou

Italy: L'Avventura

Hungary: Werckmeister Harmonies or Satantango

Sweden: Wild Strawberries

Russia/Soviet Union: Earth (I should see some Paradjanov though)

Germany: Don't care that it was made in Hollywood, I'm going Sunrise.

Mainland China: Still Life

Hong Kong: Days of Being Wild

Taiwan: A City of Sadness (though I have more Hou and Yang to see)

Spain: The Spirit of the Beehive

Mexico: The Exterminating Angel

South Korea: Mother or Secret Sunshine

Iran: Close-Up

Thailand: Tropical Malady

This list is in random order and only contains films from countries I've seen enough films of or countries that I've likes movies from (sorry Denmark, I hear your 1910s were awesome).

Best no, just my personal fav. lol And ya I totally need to.
You're right, you did say favourite. However, get more British stuff watched and I'm sure you'll have a new favourite soon enough. I'd suggest The Long Good Friday, as it's the best gangster movie made this side of the Atlantic.

You're right, you did say favourite. However, get more British stuff watched and I'm sure you'll have a new favourite soon enough. I'd suggest The Long Good Friday, as it's the best gangster movie made this side of the Atlantic.
I do need to see more Brit films.

I probably wouldn't put anything for a country I've only seen one movie from.
Meh, a favourite is a favourite even if it's from a sample size of one I like The Raid so I listed it.
And McQueen is the only person that should legally not be allowed to hold a camera.
Considering the number of film makers that are actually bad it's weird you have such a dislike for McQueen. Anyway, I'm a fan ...

Von Trier has some talent, but he's a angry pre-teen, I can't take him seriously.
Fair enough. I just think he is too eager to shock but it doesn't affect my opinion of individual movies.

I'll do my best
USA: Sherlock Jr.

UK: Distant Voices, Still Lives

Japan: Late Spring (too many good films!)

France: Pierrot Le Fou

Italy: L'Avventura

Hungary: Werckmeister Harmonies or Satantango

Russia/Soviet Union: Earth (I should see some Paradjanov though)

Germany: Don't care that it was made in Hollywood, I'm going Sunrise.

Mainland China: Still Life

Hong Kong: Days of Being Wild

Taiwan: A City of Sadness (though I have more Hou and Yang to see)

Spain: The Spirit of the Beehive

Mexico: The Exterminating Angel

South Korea: Mother or Secret Sunshine

Iran: Close-Up

Thailand: Tropical Malady

This list is in random order and only contains films from countries I've seen enough films of or countries that I've likes movies from (sorry Denmark, I hear your 1910s were awesome).
Nice list. Secret Sunshine is a surprise - good film but for me there is so much better from that country - but each to their own.

I'm trying to watch more older Taiwanese films at the moment - like you, more Hou and Yang. Have got City of Sadness - might watch that today . Only seen At Time to Live, A Time to Die by Hou - thought it was excellent.

My favourite Australian film actually changed yesterday when I watched the brilliant Mary & Max but The Castle is still a great film.
Is it better than Harvie Krumpet?

USA: Blade Runner

UK: Dead Mans Shoes

Japan: Seven Samurai

France: La Heine

Sweden: Let the Right one in

Russia/Soviet Union: The Thief

Germany: Downfall

Mainland China: Infernal Affairs

South Korea: Old Boy

Hong Kong: City on Fire

USA: Taxi Driver/Fargo/Barry Lyndon
UK: Lawrence of Arabia/Barry Lyndon
France: Le Samourai
Germany: Aguirre
Japan: Ran
Italy: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Spain: Pan's Labyrinth
Russia: Andrei Rublev/The Ascent
South Africa: District 9
South Korea: Oldboy

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Nice list. Secret Sunshine is a surprise - good film but for me there is so much better from that country - but each to their own.
My real favorite from South Korea would be the cinema of Hong Sang-soo, but there's no single film of his that I think is extraordinary, I think most of them are pretty good, a few great. Being that it seems South Korea is in its golden age of cinema (I know The Housemaid is the supposed best Korean film, but besides that it seems relatively dry), I think it's reasonable that a favorite would also be a recent film. So I'm interested in Bong Joon-ho, Lee Chang-dong, and Hong Sang-soo primarily. I don't have any interest in Park Chan-wook, and I don't think Kim Ki-duk is very good so that's where I pull from in Korean cinema.

US -Best Years of Our Lives
China - Curse of the Golden Flower
Japan - Cant name just one in paticular, but Japan has the best horror movies.
Brazil - Nosso Lar
Australia - Don's Party
Iceland - Boewulf and Grendal
Thailand - Tom-Yum Goong
Denmark - Ordet
Germany - Das Boot
Italy - Once Upon a Time In The West

I can't stand Australian films. The actors accents are way too strong. Seems like they make it sound like they're trying too hard to flaunt their accent lol.

And yes, I'm an Aussie.

chaq686
Argentina - Luna Caliente (Hot moon)
Colombia - De mujer a mujer (From a woman to another woman)
Mexico - El segundo aire (second wind)
USA - Clerks 2
France - La Femme Nikita
New Zeland - One were warriors
Italy - L'assedio (Besieged)
UK/Canada - The 51st State (no bullshitin')
Hong Kong - Full Contact (俠盜高飛)

Hi, I'm Hanako875. Nice to meet you!
I'm a Japanese student. If you have a question for Japanese movies, please ask me!