I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

Tools    

Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

I would advise everyone to see Enter The Void.

Here's a clip from the film I came across. Gives you a little taste of what I'm talking about (with the visuals)

http://on.fb.me/EntertheVoid

A system of cells interlinked
^^^That clip was pants - get that clown's head out of the shot.

I thought Alexandre Aja did an amazing job with Piranha 3D. I had high expectations for him after The Hills Have Eyes. He did not disappoint. Totally worth the purchase in my opinion, esp for Aja fans, such as myself. Pick it up in Blu-ray 3D if you can - totally enhances the experience. Awesome, awesome film.

Red Band Trailer attached.

I haven't seen anyone mention Dark City. It's a weird little Sci Fi movie that's worth the time, I think.

Same director as Knowing - Alex Proyas - which I also thought was worth the time, despite all the general Nicolas Cage backlash. Then again, I have a soft spot for both Good Cage (Adaptation, Raising Arizona) and Campy Cage.

A system of cells interlinked
Knowing fell just a bit short for me, mostly in the scripting. Proyas handled the stark visual style really well, and a few of the scenes were quite memorable (the crash, the scene with the animals running out of the forest). Still, some of the scripting was abysmal.

As for Dark City, make sure to watch the Director's Cut instead of the theatrical release - it's a tighter film.

"A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop" - Chinese remake of the Coen brothers' 1985 film Blood Simple. Cool perspective on the original story. Major components aren't different, but the director made a few tweaks to fulfill his vision of the story. Definitely recommend giving it a watch, esp if you're a Coen Bros fan.

"Welcome to the Rileys" - I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The cast is awesome- James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo are always on point. Cool to see Melissa in a performance pre The Fighter. Some people like to hate on Kristen Stewart. I get that, I'm not a Twilight fan either. If you can put that aside, I think you'll like her in the film. I thought she did a great job.

Off the top of my head;

Hard Candy - I loved this film - Ellen Paige is fantastic and supercharges her career in this - make sure you listen to the commentaries afterwards as well - it's amazing how they made this low budget masterpiece.

The Station Agent - just liked it!

10 Till Noon - inspired little gem.

avp
Monsters! I just saw it and I thought it was fantastic! Not sure when it's coming out in your area but look it up:

It totally falls under your category of films your looking to check out. sci-fi, thriller, etc. Just a heads up it's kind of more of a love story than it is a scary monster flick but it's a really well written and well acted dysfunctional romance set in the backdrop of an area in Mexico quarantined because of an alien invasion.

Highly, highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, amazing!

Tamara Drewe - The film is a rather witty British comedy on love and sex. The title character Tamara Drewe is played by the very beautiful Gemma Arterton. Not many other notable appearances, but all of the characters are hilarious - especially the two teenage girls. The film is based on a comic strip/graphic novel by the same title. That comic strip was regarded as a modern reworking on Thomas Hardy's novel "Far from the Madding Crowd."

Didn't really have any expectations going into it and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

Monsters! I just saw it and I thought it was fantastic! Not sure when it's coming out in your area but look it up:

It totally falls under your category of films your looking to check out. sci-fi, thriller, etc. Just a heads up it's kind of more of a love story than it is a scary monster flick but it's a really well written and well acted dysfunctional romance set in the backdrop of an area in Mexico quarantined because of an alien invasion.

Highly, highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, amazing!
Monsters was a HUGE disappointment. I was so pumped when the director mentioned Jurassic Park as an inspiration for the computer generated effects but then his movie looks just like all the crap that he was supposedly trying to avoid. Of course it's an accomplishment when any small crew on a small budget gets a movie made but that's not reason enough to see it. It was just lame and had no substance. Maybe the artsy types would like it for some underlying meaning that really isn't there but for people that like entertainment, it's not good.

Faster

I found this film to be really entertaining. It is what it is - a meat and potatoes action film. That said, there are also some effective twists in the plot that make it better than most from this genre of action film. I very much enjoyed Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" in the lead role. He plays the badass role really well. Maybe it's the fact that he can actually kick my butt in real life. The rest of the cast is pretty good too. I never would have expected to see BIlly Bob Thornton in a film with The Rock, but it worked. Billy Bob is also very good. I would recommend this film to any action fan or any viewer who is looking for some raw entertainment (aka gun fights and $h*t blowing up).

Get Low

Robert Duvall and BIll Murray - need I say more? Both of these guys are among my favorite actors of all time, so it was given that I would enjoy the film. Bill Murray has a unique way of blending comedy with drama. In Get Low he displays that ability quite nicely. The acting is phenomenal across the board. Lucas Black's performance is another one that stands out, aside from Murray and Duvall. Film is also very beautifully shot. I read that this was director Aaron Schneider's first film. He did an excellent job.

[quote=ScaryGerry;711576]Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

I hope I am not the only one who was bored with this film. I might have a different opinion if it was shorter and had less flashing lights. I honestly thought I was going to have seizure's.

Is white trash beautiful
Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

Here's a clip from the film I came across. Gives you a little taste of what I'm talking about (with the visuals)
I so Agree with you Scary. I know that this film is not for everybody and its a little to long, but i personally loved it. I think my favorite thing about this film is it's opening credits,they were defintaly creative. The one thing that i love about Gasper Noe that he dose not leave out anything even if its gory or shocking he tells his story and i respect that .
If you like this movie check out Seul Contre Tous (1998) its my favorite movie that gasper has done to date.

Moon (2009) - one of the best Sci Fi films no one has heard of
Red Baron (2009) really good war movie
Gomorroh - a very stark gangland movie in Italy
Hidalgo - think Seabiscuit in a duration race in Arabia

S.W.A.T. Firefight.

This was a great follow up to the 2003 film. It doesn't have the star power of the first, but I thought the cast did a great job nonetheless. The one very recognizable face in the film is Robert Patrick, who plays the villain. I've always thought highly of him in the villain role - esp. after Terminator 2. I also thought it was great that they filmed in Detroit. I'm happy to see Detroit getting some love from Hollywood. Very solid action film. The training sequences were especially cool.

I went through my list of favorites and picked some films that I believe fit into the kind you're looking for.

action-adventure
The Great Escape (with " the king of cool" Steve McQueen)
Stand By Me

sci-fi/fantasy

The Quiet Earth
The Fall
Sunshine (a very underrated sci-fi by Danny Boyle)
Videodrome
Gattaca

psychological
Following
Memento
Funny Games (the original, from 1997)
The Game

thriller
Manhunter
Tesis
(by spanish director Alejandro Amenábar)
Misery

Paradise Now
Tsotsi
Amoressperros
C.R.A.Z.Y.
Central Station
Children of Heaven
Memento
Old Boy
Tea with Mussolini

How Do You Know

I didn't know much about this film before watching it. Needless to say, I was surprise to see multiple all-star cast members associated with it: Jack Nicholson, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon. Not to mention, it was directed and written by James L. Brooks. A thoroughly entertaining comedy. I just find it entertaining to see several of my fav actors on screen at once, as they are in this film. Totally worth the watch. Has some really hilarious moments; you're bound to when you you have Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson on screen together.

Stand By Me

"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" - One of my favorite films of all time. Especially near and dear to me because it's a film from my childhood. I just picked up the bluray. In my opinion, it should be a required film for anyone's collection. Such an interesting cast, way before anyone knew who they were.

The Tourist

This film has such a classy feel to it. So much elegance and luxury visually, topped off by two of the biggest stars hollywood has to offer. It's just cool to watch them interact on screen together - and in Venice of all places! I particularly enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance. I think he really nailed the role of the seemingly-genius idiot, as contradictory as that description sounds. The tackles a little bit of all genres Drama/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense, etc which makes it pretty unique.

Made in Dagenham

The film is based on a true story of the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968. The strike was huge for female laborers worldwide and led to the Equal Pay Act of 1970 (or so says wiki). Made in Dagenham dramatically depicts the events surrounding that strike. The lead role is played by Sally Hawkins, who is awesome in the film. Very, very funny. She plays Rita who unwittingly ends up in the forefront of this strike. As you can imagine, Ford gets pissed about the strike and drama ensues. I won't say much more, except that the supporting cast is also great. Albert Passingham and Miranda Richardson play memorable supporting roles in the film. Very uplifting. Not exactly the chick flick that I expected before watching. Definitely recommend Made in Dagenham.