A view from the Master.

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
heat is definitely my favorite of Mann's. Like you say, EVERYTHING works in this one. Even the length of it doesn't feel long because the pacing so well done

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Thanks guys. And glad to see a lot of love for Heat.

Godzilla
Directed By: Roland Emmerich

"This thing is much too big to be some lost dinosaur."

Well with the new Godzilla movie just around the corner, I thought I'd give the 1998 movie another shot. The last time we seen Godzilla on the big screen, it was the biggest and most expensive Godzilla movie yet. Ime a huge fan of these types of movies, creature features as some may call them. I love the whole idea and concept of how these movies work. And this years Godzilla has got me more interested, and excited than ever before. It truly looks amazing, and I've read a few teaser reviews that seems to be backing that up.

Fun Movie Trivia:
A tornado disrupted filming in Jersey City on May 6, 1997. The film crew managed to get some footage of the disaster filmed.

A small statue of an alien from "Independence Day" (also directed by Roland Emmerich) is visible in the broadcast booth at Madison Square Garden.

Enough lumber was used for the sets to build 50 homes.
The last time I seen the 1998 Godzilla I was a little disappointed. I remember loving this movie as a child. I seen the movie in the cinema and was so excited, and fascinated, It was like Christmas had come early. Then a couple of weeks ago I re-watched it and was hugely disappointed. Its actually strange how that happens. I remember buying the movie thinking it's a great movie. Then sitting watching it I thought.., is this even the same movie?. This time I found myself thinking it was long, stupid, and I was bored. Damn, sometimes being a kid is cool when you can over look silly stuff and faults with movies.

The thing that makes these movie work is the unknown. The monster (or any other animal) is the main attraction of the movie. And for me less is more. Jaws is such a successful movie because we never really see the Shark. As the movie goes the suspense builds and excitement increases. That's why Jaws is one of the greatest movies ever made. Now, with a movie like Godzilla that concept also has to be applied. We don't need to see the monster, all we need is to know is that it's there. The movie needs to suck us in and build on the suspense. It needs to give us glimpses, or sounds. We need to see that the characters are terrified. We need to see how scared they are and see there reactions. Everything then builds into the unveiling, which the audience our on the edge of there seat waiting for. But, all of the above didn't happen with this movie. We see way to much of Godzilla, and the characters couldn't be less scared if they tried. Seriously, I just couldn't get into to this movie. Everything felt very wooden, and the characters our all annoying as fu**.

Fun Movie Trivia:
The meter of the cab after the final chase sequence reads $95.20. Based on the rates on the side of the cab, this equates to Godzilla chasing the cab for about 60 miles in total.

The extra killed in his car when Godzilla first arrives in Manhattan was cast as a look-alike for J.D. Lees, editor of G-Fan magazine, because he cast disparaging remarks about the information that leaked out about the film prior to its release.

Elevator music in a scene with Matthew Broderick is "Danke Schoen", which Broderick lip-syncs in a memorable scene from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
I won't sit and completely pan this movie. There is some really good action scenes. Especially the scenes in where the helicopters are chasing down Godzilla as it runs and smashes through buildings. The movie is big in the sense of action, and it does deliver on a big scale. It's just for me everything else is cheesy, and over the top, and it's just doesn't fit with the movie. I'd love nothing more than to be positive about this movie, but I can't. There are just so many things that I hate and I could sit here all day writing about them. I just can't wait to visit the cinema in 2 weeks, hoping this time they get it right.

The trailers for the new Godzilla movie have definitely piqued my interest, so I'll probably watch it in theaters. It seems that a lot of people are getting their hopes up about it, so that means the movie will probably be a huge disappointment.

The new movie actually has other monsters aswell as Godzilla, interesting.

Godzilla (2014)
Directed By: Gareth Edwards

You have no idea what's coming!

I honestly don't know where to even begin with this movie. I haven't felt so disappointed with a Summer blockbuster since The Avengers, and I can honestly say Godzilla was an even bigger let down. Over the past week I've read some pretty good reviews of Godzilla. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 75% last time I checked. And the internet was full of awesome reviews, that had me very intrigued and excited. The plot seemed very interesting, and the trailers looked awesome. So what went wrong..... Everything. For starters Godzilla felt like 2 movies for me. We had the human story going on, which by the way.. sucks. We have a bunch of characters that no one cares for, who can't act, and feel like they were casted straight from your local soap. Then we have the monster side of things which also sucked. The story felt very forced, with way to much going on. We swap from country to country every 2 minutes, and everything happens way to fast. Both story's didn't work for me at all. No one really seemed to bothered by 3 giant monsters smashing through the city. I mean, if that was me I'd be running down the street screaming, with sh** hanging out my shorts. But no, in this movie it's like it's an every day situation.

Fun Movie Trivia

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Henry Cavill, Scoot McNairy and Caleb Landry Jones were considered for the role of Lt Brody.
Another problem I have with this movie is the title. I think the movie would of been better titled "Muto". I mean, we see a lot more of the Muto's than we do Godzilla. And that isn't a good thing. The Muto's look like ... Let's put it nicely, Sh**. Godzilla appears on screen about 5 minutes through the whole movie. Seriously, I think the trailer shows every scene he's in. The battles are lame, and you never get to see much. The story wonders of all the time. I honestly don't even know what the hell this movie was trying to achieve.

Fun Movie Trivia

Director Gareth Edwards described Godzilla as an anti-hero: "Godzilla is definitely a representation of the wrath of nature. The theme is man versus nature and Godzilla is certainly the nature side of it. You can't win that fight. Nature's always going to win and that's what the subtext of our movie is about. He's the punishment we deserve."
I can't really explain just how disappointed I am. The first 30 minutes where entertaining. I thought it was looking very interesting, and going in the right direction. Then the movie came crashing down. From there everything was downhill, and just didn't fit together at all. It tried to be realistic, and clever and failed. It would of been much better with just Godzilla. There was no need to add the Muto's. That's where the movie really suffers for me.

Overall, there just isn't much good to come from this movie. One thing I did like was probably the one thing that others didn't, and that was Godzilla. I thought he looked awesome. His roars rattled the cinema, and I loved the scenes of him swimming in the sea. Then I'd say the first half hour was interesting. But as I said, all is then down hill from there on out.

I thought it was pretty slow to get started, badly acted but enjoyed the monsters. From what I've read and heard the critics seem to like it more than the viewers!

and another thing no one seemed that overawed by seeing a monster destrying their city!
I know that was a huge problem. The movie had no fear factor. And the movie suffers from this aswell. 3 giant monsters, killing people, destroying city's, and standing over 300ft and everyone doesn't even seem remotely scared.

Mutos?

First time I heard that phrase was in Waterworld.

Doesn't sound great to me. I like the 1998 version but never been a fan of Godzilla anyways. Not rushing to see this.

No one seemed overwhelmed because they all stood in awe as spectators like us. I hated that. specially Watanabe's character running in and out to enjoy the view. This movie was all about the unveiling of these creatures. Talking about it makes me want to rate it lower and I gave it a 2/5.