The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Beauty and the Beast (Bill Condon, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 06/09/17
Cinema or Home: Friend's house
Reason For Watching: I had dinner at a friend's house and she wanted to watch it.
Rewatch: No.

As much as I love animation, I've never cared for the 1991 film. I don't like musicals and I don't like heavy fantasy, so it was without any excitement that I heard the news of this live action remake and I was not exactly thrilled when my friend suggested we watch it tonight.

That said, this version of Stockholm Syndrome: The Movie is actually rather well done. The set design and costumes were beautiful, the CGI was quite good (though the wolves still didn't quite look right), and the performances were at least decent. However, I still hated the songs and still didn't give a crap about any of the characters, least of all the enchanted furniture, dishes, etc. Ultimately - while I respect the effort put into it - I'm just as apathetic to this beastly tale as I was to the animated one.

P.S. - Did we really need the addition of the "tragic" backstory to explain Beast's cruelty and make us feel sorry for him? Sometimes people are just ***holes because they can be.

-

I didn't care for it much either, but I love the original film. The new one's successes are really owed to the original, mainly the songs, but even then Emma Watson's so-so vocal makes them less of a powerhouse. This isn't my least favorite recent Disney remake, that would have to go to Maleficent, but it's the one I least respect, because it does almost nothing new.

You going to participate in the 40's countdown?

You see Beauty and the Beast (1946)?
I'll probably submit a partial list at least but I don't really plan on doing any watching specifically for the countdown. I do intend to watch Gaslight (1944) and One Million B.C., but that's because one of my favorite YouTubers was talking about the former and because the latter stars Victor Mature and is available on Youtube. If I like Gaslight, I may watch the 1940 version of it too since it's available on Amazon Prime streaming.

One Million B.C. looks terrible, but also potentially so bad it's good -which is what I hope for from anything starring Mature.

Yep. I've liked him since I was a teenager. I think he was a terrible actor and I don't find him attractive at all, but I think he's entertaining. If my count is correct, I've seen 13 of his movies.

I love My Darling Clementine which he's in, but I'm not sure it's your type of movie.

I do have 1 40's movie I think you'll like, if you wanna do that swap again.

I didn't care for My Darling Clementine.

I think the only 40s movie I truly care about is Bambi and I assume you've already seen that, so I don't know about doing a swap.

I think the only 40s movie I truly care about is Bambi and I assume you've already seen that, so I don't know about doing a swap.
It doesn't have to be a 40's movie that you make me watch. There's plenty of time left anyway.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Yeah I'd rate about Beauty and the Beast about the same as you MV. Thought it was decent but that was about it. And like you the animated film was never one of my absolute favourites, always preferred Aladdin and Lion King. In terms of the live-action remakes I'd definitely have it behind The Jungle Book.

Had the friend that wanted to watch it already seen it? If not what did they think?

And like you the animated film was never one of my absolute favourites, always preferred Aladdin and Lion King.
I don't like either of those movies.

In terms of the live-action remakes I'd definitely have it behind The Jungle Book.
I haven't watched any of the others. Don't really intend to, either.

Had the friend that wanted to watch it already seen it? If not what did they think?
Yeah, she'd seen it before. But she's a fan of musicals and did theater when she was in high school.

The Mummy (Alex Kurtzman, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 06/11/17
Cinema or Home: Cinema
Reason For Watching: Russell Crowe

As a die hard fan of Russell Crowe, I will watch absolutely any film he's in. And while this has led me to watching some gems, it's also resulted in me enduring crap like Winter's Tale, Man of Steel, The Man With the Iron Fist, and Noah.

The Mummy isn't quite crap, but I wouldn't say it's particularly good either. Whereas other films on the subject took a comical approach or at least were aware of their own ridiculousness, this film takes things entirely too seriously. Which is not to say that it doesn't attempt some comic relief, it's just that those attempts fall flat. But that's not the only thing that just doesn't quite work. The Mummy is a film that can't decide what it is. Is it an action movie? Is it a horror movie? Is it an adventure movie? It tries to be all three but doesn't do any of it particularly well. As to other aspects, several parts of the story made no real sense, the CG was decent, but too often was very obvious and the performances were passable, if unimpressive.

There really isn't anything this film did right, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still entertained by the whole convoluted mess.

+

Finally I'm up to date with your reviews really enjoyed them

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I don't like either of those movies.
Oh I'm well aware of that fact. I just chalk it up to you being a lost cause.

Glad you were able to find enough about The Mummy to enjoy it even if you were very short of positives about it. While I've been keeping track of your thread I've not commented for a while. I was surprised by how much you liked Sing. For some reason I thought that would have been too cutesy and saccharine for your tastes. And that's before even getting to the assault on pop music. I really need to watch Robots one day. It's got to be just about the biggest computer animated film that I've not seen. As I believe you know I love all of the Toy Story films, particularly the first two which in addition to being brilliant films hold real nostalgia for me

As always you're doing a great job with this thread MV; I love seeing how you've embraced it.

You planning on returning to the cinema in the near future for either Cars 3 or Despicable Me 3?

The Lego Batman Movie (Chris McKay, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 06/16/17
Cinema or Home: Friend's house
Reason For Watching: My friend wanted to watch it

I really didn't care for The Lego Movie, so when The Lego Batman Movie was announced, I wasn't exactly excited for it and had no intention of seeing it.

Well, I wasn't crazy about it but it was entertaining. I liked the little jabs at the previous Batman incarnations and the jabs at the weird dynamic between Alfred and Bruce Wayne and between Batman and Robin. All the pop culture references were also fairly amusing. I also thought the voice performances were mostly strong and Will Arnett is the perfect voice for Batman.

However, the repetitive jokes started to run thin at around the halfway point and the movie felt overly long. I would've enjoyed it more if they'd trimmed the fat a little bit, but overall it was a fun watch. Probably not something I'll revisit, but fun.

-