World Cup Soccer 2018

Tools    

England was always seems like the less cohesive team in tournament. The last i see them impressive and deliver was germany 2006

Couldn't care less about the England side,
It's awful isn't it? It's such a common attitude though. The expectations are so dreadful that unfortunately that's how a lot of us feel.

It annoyed me recently when Gareth Southgate said he hadn't settled on his England captain yet, and yet Harry Kane's had the armband for several matches, is squeaky clean and scoring goals like there's no tomorrow – not exactly a head-scratcher Gaz .
It's weird for some to see a player Captain their country when they don't normally Captain their club, I'm a spurs fan so obviously I have no problem with Kane wearing the armband. I think it should be someone that will consistently be in the team for years to come, Jordan Henderson wouldn't be a bad choice if hes playing regularly, John Stones could be an option in a few years too, he'll learn a lot from Pep and Kompany.

It's such a common attitude though. The expectations are so dreadful that unfortunately that's how a lot of us feel.
I think it was the WC not last time, but the time before, the English player called Frank something (forget his name) was so underwhelming. Then the match ended with penalty kicks & I was amazed that he was chosen to take a penalty kick. I just knew he would miss & he did. IIRC, he also played in the last WC.

I think it was the WC not last time, but the time before, the English player called Frank something (forget his name) was so underwhelming. Then the match ended with penalty kicks & I was amazed that he was chosen to take a penalty kick. I just knew he would miss & he did. IIRC, he also played in the last WC.
Surely not Frank Lampard? I don't remember him being poor but it was terrible when he had that goal disallowed against Germany. There was that time David Beckham had a horrible miss and gestured to the turf.

Definitely him. Knew his last name started with “l”? Is he still around?
He recently retired – great player.

Yeah Lampard is about 40 now. He was one of the best players in the world a decade ago, was overshadowed by Gerrard who played in the same position which i think is unfair even though i'm a Liverpool fan: well Liverpool are my English team i'm obviously a Celtic fan.

They were awful for England together though, just not two compatible players. It's like those lists of best teams in the world i used to make as a kid which on paper looks unstoppable but when you think about it wouldn't work right together.

Wasn’t Gerrard (too lazy to look up his first name) the guy who did well in maybe the WC before the last one & then flamed out somewhat? I seem to recall him missing a goal one time in the WC?

Wasn’t Gerrard (too lazy to look up his first name) the guy who did well in maybe the WC before the last one & then flamed out somewhat? I seem to recall him missing a goal one time in the WC?
Gerrard was always below average for him at least in world cups. The only English player in the 2000's that did anything above average was David Beckham IMO and that was usually just converting opportunities he had. The team was always a shambles of very good/some great players not doing anywhere near as good as they usually do.

Lampard scored from the halfway line against Germany in 2010; a goal that was called out even though it was clearly in. Germany won 4-0 or 4-1 so it didn't matter but that was still insane to me.

Lampard scored from the halfway line against Germany in 2010; a goal that was called out even though it was clearly in. Germany won 4-0 or 4-1 so it didn't matter but that was still insane to me.
Yes, that was what I remembered. You have an astounding memory, I must say.

Lol it wasn't the halfway line, it was a thunderbolt that moved so fast that NOBODY saw it cross the line and bounce back out, but it was from "only" about 35yards out

Lol it wasn't the halfway line, it was a thunderbolt that moved so fast that NOBODY saw it cross the line and bounce back out, but it was from "only" about 35yards out
Yeah it was just outside the box, i misremembered i mean it was 7 years ago.

Love the commentators nearly crying
it's burned in my memory, some poor German girl in the pub we were in was buried in plastic cups when she started celebrating Germany scoring their 3rd just after it happened. She was soaked, but she probably didn't care too much

Brazil in Brazil against Germany in the Semi Final. Completely insane.
Great footage of the 7 goals. Love the British commentator’s understatement that Brazil has fallen apart.

Love the commentators nearly crying
Why was it disqualified?
do you mean that lampard goal? the referee simply not see the ball already pass the line and goal line tech yet to be implemeted at the time, so it's just human error of judgement.

still hilarious how m. neuer stay calm on the goalie lol, i still remember many of us shout at him as cheap bastard.

The United States has not qualified for the 2018 World Cup. This sucks. I really enjoy watching them play. What they lack in proficiency compared to some other countries they more than make up for in enthusiasm & their huge desire to win.
A lot of the criticism I've heard about this result seems to imply the opposite. I'm not disagreeing with you because I've not seen a single game they've played in the qualifying group, that was just the reaction I heard from pundits over there.