My top films of 2021

Tools    

[Apologies if there are several of these types of threads!]

What a brilliant year for film 2021 has been. The quality has been exceptional. I could have done a top 50.

1. Drive my Car
2. Quo Vadis, Aida?
3. Beginning
4. The Hand of God
5. Sound of Metal
6. Petit Maman
7. C’mon C’mon
8. Nomadland
9. Servants
10. After Love
11. Dear Comrades
12. Limbo
13. New Order
14. Identifying Features
15. Nitram
16. Song without a Name
17. The Worst person in the World
18. The Power of The Dog
19. Pig
20. Pieces of a Woman

What a brilliant year for film 2021 has been. The quality has been exceptional. I could have done a top 50.

1. Drive my Car
2. Quo Vadis, Aida?
3. Beginning
4. The Hand of God
5. Sound of Metal
6. Petit Maman
7. C’mon C’mon
8. Nomadland
9. Servants
10. After Love
11. Dear Comrades
12. Limbo
13. New Order
14. Identifying Features
15. Nitram
16. Song without a Name
18. The Power of The Dog
19. Pig
20. Pieces of a Woman

Glad to see Pig on your list, I thought I was the only person around here who saw it. No one else is talking about it here.

This was the year I finally gave up on wanting to keep current. The only great films I saw from this year were Annette and one random short film. I do really want to check out Drive My Car and whatever the other 2021 Hamaguchi film was called though.

Can’t wait to see Drive My Car and C’mon C’mon. The Hand Of God will make my top ten, probably my biggest surprise this year. Sound Of Metal and Nomadland were on my 2020 list. Power Of The Dog was really good and is hanging on in my top ten but could slip if I see a couple more goodies.

The trick is not minding
Glad to see Pig on your list, I thought I was the only person around here who saw it. No one else is talking about it here.
It was #3 on my top 5. Spectacular film

The trick is not minding
Copied from earlier thread.

HM: Werewolves Within, Prisoners of the Ghostland, Dune, The Last Duel, The Courier, Annette.

5. CODA
4. In The Earth
3. Pig
2. In The Heights
1. The Green Knight

1. Drive my Car
2. Quo Vadis, Aida?
3. Beginning
4. The Hand of God
5. Sound of Metal
6. Petit Maman
7. C’mon C’mon
8. Nomadland
9. Servants
10. After Love
11. Dear Comrades
12. Limbo
13. New Order
14. Identifying Features
15. Nitram
16. Song without a Name
18. The Power of The Dog
19. Pig
20. Pieces of a Woman
I've seen pathetically few of these (I seem to always be about 4-7 years behind on film), but I love having lists like this to come back to. Of the ones I've seen on your list (Sound of Metal and Pig) I loved both.

Torgo and I both posted reviews of it about 2-3 weeks ago. We both really liked it. I thought it was unexpectedly moving and Alex Wolff continues to impress after his turn in Hereditary.

The trick is not minding
Cage had a very strong year in 2021.
From the ridiculous and and absurd but fun film Wily’s Wonderland, to the almost as Absurd and often times funny Prisoners of the Ghostland.

And then there’s Pig. A man’s search for his precious pet, a movie about loss and grief and how it effects one man, who’s past is surprisingly refreshing.

Torgo and I both posted reviews of it about 2-3 weeks ago. We both really liked it. I thought it was unexpectedly moving and Alex Wolff continues to impress after his turn in Hereditary.
Well, he did the best he could given what he had to work with as an actor, but the actual material itself...

It's up there with Adaptation as one of Cage's finest performances

The truth is in here
Brilliant? It wasn't bad, but wouldn't call it one of the best ones. Nevertheless, here's my list.

1. Don't Look Up

2. White Trash

3. The Last Duel

4. Knocking

5. Be My Voice

6. Nobody

7. Pig

8. I'm In The Band

9. The French Dispatch

10. Respect
(I'm apparently one of the few people on earth who likes this movie)