Which Die Hard movie did you like the most?

Tools    

Which Die Hard movie did you like the most?
80.00%
40 votes
Die Hard
2.00%
1 votes
Die Hard 2
16.00%
8 votes
Die Hard with a Vengeance
0%
0 votes
Live Free or Die Hard
2.00%
1 votes
A Good Day to Die Hard
50 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Just curious on what people think, it's a hard one for me to choose between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd one, I like the 4th one and 5th movie was alright imo

The first one is the only right answer. I know a lot of people liked the third one, but I'm not a huge fan of it. As unnecessary as it is, I'll take the second one any day.

Fourth one was dumb fun, but forgettable. The fifth one was simply atrocious. One of the worst films I've seen.

The original wins out.

The one with Samuel L. Jackson is a distant second for what it's worth.

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>> 4&5

That's how I remember, but it's been quite a while since I watched any of them. The first one is among the best action films ever made (easily top-25 on such list).

Never seen 5, unlikely to change that in the near future. 4 is solid by mid-2000s standards but not what I want from the franchise. 3 is a lot more fun during its first two acts before it shifts into a generic action movie. 2 is a rehash of the original in a lot of ways but really delivers in its set pieces and is cheesy in pleasing ways.

Never seen 5, unlikely to change that in the near future. 4 is solid by mid-2000s standards but not what I want from the franchise. 3 is a lot more fun during its first two acts before it shifts into a generic action movie. 2 is a rehash of the original in a lot of ways but really delivers in its set pieces and is cheesy in pleasing ways.
What about the first one, though?

It's been a minute since I saw the original, but for as long as I can remember, and I did rewatch it not too long ago to confirm, the third one is my favorite.

#1 in a cakewalk. It's the gold standard of action movies.
#3 bonus points for SLJ
#2 trailing and almost tied with...
#4 more action but the franchise was definitely showing it's age.

#5 is best not mentioned.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Die Hard
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
A hefty dump I took earlier this morning
A Good Day To Die Hard

Suspect's Reviews

Loved the first. Absolutely enjoyed the third. Enjoy Live Free or Die Hard only for MEW. Don't care about the rest.
This is close to how I rank them. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a big part of the reason it scores that high. #2 was actually kind of boring. It's still better than 5 though.

To be honest, out of the ones I've seen (since I never saw A Good Day, and have no current plans to do so), the only one I really like is the first one; Die Harder is a decent guilty pleasure, but it is ultimately a sillier rehash of the original (and having John acknowledge that all the same stuff is happening to him again doesn't make it okay to do it, screenwriters), I appreciate the way that Vengeance shook up the formula (as well as its villian's connection to the original), but it spent too much time setting up Simon's unnecessarily convoluted schemes at the expense of being entertaining, and Live Free is about as generic and personality-less a modern, circa-2007 Action movie could be. None of 'em are bad, they just don't live up to the original, which, despite the flaws I mentioned in my review of it, still holds up very, very well all these years later, as an example of the 80's Action movie coming back down to Earth after a fruitful, but extremely over-the-top decade.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Die Hard 1-4 (unrated) are classics, 5 was meh.

Should prob rewatch the first 4, but so far the third one is my fave, and one of my fave McTiernan films.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched Die Hard with a Vengeance again and it's definitely the second best one for me, if not the best. However, there is one part I do not understand.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
I don't get why Zeus was forced to go along in the action.
He was just a bystander with no stakes in the situation at all. The villain tells Zeus that he has to be part of his plan because he is "in too deep now", whatever that means. But what does that mean? He wasn't in deep at all, was he?