Feud

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow Susan sure does resemble Bette

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I have converted Mama CiCi. She's a big fan now. Even Papa CiCi was watching a couple of episodes

We're waiting so we can watch episode 5 and 6 back to back though!

But having seen the first 4 episodes again, Mommie Dearest really strikes me as just astonishing television. Everything about it is perfect. The acting, the writing, everything is sharply on point. It's funny as hell at times, utterly compelling, but strikingly sad as well.

Well, I couldn't wait...just wrapped ep 6, which was freaking BRILLIANT! Judy Davis and the writing teams deserve definite award love and if Jessica Lange doesn't win an Emmy or a Globe for this, there is no God...there, I said it. I feel much better now.

I keep forgetting so once again, thanks for the headsup, Gid.

Originally I had no intention of watching this show when I first read about it. But then I caught a promo and thought, why not. Watched the first episode and I must say it's actually pretty good.

Well, I couldn't wait...just wrapped ep 6, which was freaking BRILLIANT! Judy Davis and the writing teams deserve definite award love and if Jessica Lange doesn't win an Emmy or a Globe for this, there is no God...there, I said it. I feel much better now.
JL is fantastic in this. I saw the ep and really liked it. I covet that outfit Judy was wearing.

I really like the 6th episode and I think I will like the rest even better. Susan Sarandon started really strong and continues to be great, but I am getting more and more impressed with Jessica Lange's subtlety. That last scene when
WARNING: "Joan" spoilers below
she is talking to Aldrich on the phone and realizes Davis is next to him was.... Just the total devastation you could read on her face. Really good.

Judy Davis is amazing as well. What a cunning woman Hedda Hopper was. Those outfits though are pretty ridiculous...in the best way . P.s. Didn't realize she was quite a bit older than both Joan and Bette....about 20 yrs older.

Just found this gem of Bruce Dern talking about being on the set of "Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte" with the two of them. If you are not familiar about how Crawford turned out, it might be a spoiler though. I mean...wow...they really hated each other.

Wow. I didnt even realise that word was used back then. Charming.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm still #TeamBette

Although Lange has made me sympathise with Crawford in a way that Crawford herself could never do. Lange needs an Emmy for this. Like I said earlier, her performance in episode 3 (haven't seen 5 and 6 yet) was hauntingly poignant and beautiful.

This might just do nobody any good.
That word goes back ages.

Anyone else getting the feeling Judy Davis is the sneaky MVP of this? The leads are wonderful, obviously, but I really get a kick out of Hedda's moments. Love the hints of desperation in her constant posturing.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
As for Hedda Hopper, what an evil bitch she was in real life, however,

Feud: Louella vs Hedda should be the focus for season 2, not Charles vs Diana that has already been done to death. God Hedda and Lolly's story is marvellous and perfect for this show.

This might just do nobody any good.
I guess it would be more interesting (and likely for Murphy) to keep this about Hollywood but I'd love to see Edison/Tessa for a season.

Wow. I didnt even realise that word was used back then. Charming.
I know! I was shocked when I heard this. It is the ultimate bad word here in the US and to hear they used it openly in such way towards each other was...

I know! I was shocked when I heard this. It is the ultimate bad word here in the US and to hear they used it openly in such way towards each other was...
Yeah I was pretty taken aback. I wasnt on the planet back in their day but I dont think I even heard the word until I was well into adulthood. Might have been in a novel. It's just not a word that was flung about in society, or maybe I ws just a sheltered snowflake.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Nah, even in Britain it's considered one of the most offensive words in the English language. I don't think I've heard anyone say it (sober anyway)

Nah, even in Britain it's considered one of the most offensive words in the English language. I don't think I've heard anyone say it (sober anyway)
When I was a kid I even got into trouble for saying piddle and bum.

I'm still #TeamBette

Although Lange has made me sympathise with Crawford in a way that Crawford herself could never do. Lange needs an Emmy for this. Like I said earlier, her performance in episode 3 (haven't seen 5 and 6 yet) was hauntingly poignant and beautiful.
I'm still not too sure about the two of them.

Davis always gets more praise from other actors as far as her acting, but most of her costars had very unflattering opinions of her. I know she was tough on scripts and all, but I'm still not sure how much of it was professional perfectionism and how much was just competitive vindictiveness.

Crawford actually had more split opinions among her costars from what I have read. Many of them liked her, but many did not so I have no idea. Here role as a mother is another story.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It's a tricky one. For me, Joan was fake, and several stars allege that she did indeed abuse Christopher and Christina as children, with others saying that she was generally unfit to be a mother. So a bad mother who wasn't grounded and completely self-absorbed. Not my cup of tea whatsoever.

Bette was self aware, and always came across as such in interviews. She called a spade a spade and I like that about her. However, going around calling people you don't like a c*** isn't on. I do believe she was genuinely just hard working as well, even if winning awards drove her to be hard working.

Within their actual feud, Joan comes across as the more petty and melodramatic of the two as well. I don't know if she really did conspire with Hedda, but desperately peddling to accept an award for the primary purpose of rubbing it in your co-star's face is beyond petty. Then there's rumours of her deliberately flaunting the man Bette liked but who liked Joan on the set of Jezebel? Can't remember what film set it was now

[quote=d_chatterley;1687127]I really like the 6th episode and I think I will like the rest even better. Susan Sarandon started really strong and continues to be great, but I am getting more and more impressed with Jessica Lange's subtlety. That last scene when
WARNING: "Joan" spoilers below
she is talking to Aldrich on the phone and realizes Davis is next to him was.... Just the total devastation you could read on her face. Really good.

Jessica Lange is absolutely AMAZING in this.