American Gods

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Infinite Jest, good luck with that undertaking. I think the longest book I've read was 800 some odd pages. I think if a book goes over 1,000 pages, then there HAS to be a lot of filler in there.

I have King's The Stand and IT on the back burner for those very reasons and I'm probably never going to touch Moore's Jerusalem, sucker is over 1,200 pages long!!!
Loved The Stand and It, but then again, I'm a King fan, so... I also adore Diana Gabaldon, and most of her fans (including me) are disappointed when one of her books comes in under 1,000 pages.

It's not the number of pages that I find daunting. I tend to like long books. It's the fact that Infinite Jest is just more difficult to wade into. American Gods was smooth sailing to get into (so far, at least). Infinite Jest is feeling like work. American Gods feels like good reading... and I went into this one with a healthy bit of skepticism because everybody raves about Gaiman and I don't like jumping on a literary bandwagon this late.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

@Dani8 No, unfortunately not. But I did get to check out the set on the new Star Trek show.
You can go and give my darling Bryan a kiss for me.

Okay, so I'm not quite a third of the way into reading American Gods. I can envision (having seen the trailers) how well this is going to translate to the screen. Ought to be awesome.

But I'm also definitely glad I'm reading it first. If I had already seen the series, I'm not sure I'd be approaching the reading with nearly as much enthusiasm. Since I truly don't know what happens next, I find myself sneaking moments throughout the day where I can read a few more pages... just a few more pages... one more page...

I usually only do that when a book has grabbed me. If someone here was on the fence about whether to read the book before watching the series, I'd recommend reading the book first. Not difficult to get into. Not difficult to distinguish characters or what's happening... even when it's trippy or absolutely crazy.

Hmmmm. Might check out the local second hand shop to see if they have a real book. I find I cant read on a gadget. Just becomes a wall of text.

Legend in my own mind
That looks tragic.

I will of course check it out

Oh thanks. I keep forgetting about amazon.

I practically LIVE on Amazon's site.
Lol Aus, I think I had a toddler tantrum they sank imdb and erased them from the main frame when I spat the dummy.

Gillian Anderson is ridiculous. She just gets more stunning every year.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/28/ameri...k#ig9246Q1TqqM

So pretty.

Gratuitous BMUP. Probably needs a strobe lighting warning.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanGod...6623697848476/

Anyone post the opening credits yet?

My eyes and ears are bleeding in anticipation.

Who wrote the score? My eyes really are bleeding. I can't read the credits.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
What is this playing on? The commercial doesn't say, is it streaming? Aaah, Starz.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My eyes and ears are bleeding in anticipation.

Who wrote the score? My eyes really are bleeding. I can't read the credits.
The show’s composer is Brian Reitzell (30 Days of Night, Hannibal, Lost in Translation, Stranger Than Fiction)

It felt very Girl With The Dragon Tattoo esque.

Suspect's Reviews

The show’s composer is Brian Reitzell (30 Days of Night, Hannibal, Lost in Translation, Stranger Than Fiction)

It felt very Girl With The Dragon Tattoo esque.
Ha. I was wondering if that was Reitzell. He hits the same note as one he used frequently in Hannibal. Thanks TUS.

Wow, I didn't realize Crispin Glover was in this. Wonder who he is playing. Has he been doing much of anything lately?

I think Ian McShane is perfect casting for Mr. Wednesday, BTW. I knew right away that he was playing Wednesday.

Not a stellar review but worth reading, especially for those of us who havent read the book

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...ebook_20170425

Buckets of blood and intense sexuality, hey. Cool. What else did the reviewer expect from Starz.

I'm probably going to finish the book either today or tomorrow. I'm glad I read the book before seeing the series, because I'm now certain that seeing it on screen first would have changed how I envisioned what I was reading.

I didn't find getting into the book all that difficult (which is why I kept reading in the first place). Of course, I already feel I'll need to read it again in order to catch a lot of the references to the old gods. Some are obvious; others are not. But the storyline itself seemed fairly straightforward in its odd little way.

I like the idea of the goddess who devours men with her vajayjay. Should keep third wave feminists happy, and red pilling men crying.