Life of Pi Oscar 'an insult to cinematography'

Tools    

Cinematographer Christopher Doyle has slammed the Oscars for awarding the cinematography gong to Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' in a blistering tirade.

The visionary – and outspoken – Australian photographer behind films like 'Hero', 'In The Mood For Love' and 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' thinks that the film's reliance on post-production and effects means it did not deserve the award.

“I'm trying to work out how to say this most politely, and no offence to - I don't know him ('Life of Pi' cinematographer Claudio Miranda) personally - but what a total f**king piece of s**t,” he told the South East Asian arts website Blouin.

“I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and I'm sure he cares so much, but since 97% of the film is not under his control, what the f**k are you talking about cinematography, sorry. I have to be blunt and I don’t care, you can write it. I think it's a f**king insult to cinematography.

“That's not cinematography. That's control of the image by the powers that be, by the people that want to control the whole system because they're all accounts. You've lost cinema. This is not cinema and it's not cinematography. It's not cinematography.”

Doyle also claimed that among the American Society of Cinematographers, there was similar feeling towards the film being awarded the statue, and added that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences which awards the Oscars hs 'no f**king idea what cinematography is, the lunatics have taken over the asylum'.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/life-of-p...073601893.html

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
People said the same thing when Avatar won the best cinematography Oscar (not TheUsualSuspect ).

People said the same thing when Avatar won the best cinematography Oscar (not TheUsualSuspect ).
That was also a joke.

Avatar beat out The White Ribbon that year. Just solidified the fact that oscars are just a collection of slightly above average films that have mainstream appeal. I don't even take them seriously anymore, I trust Cannes award winners much more.

I stopped putting unquestioned esteem in Cannes winners when Fahrenheit 9/11 won the Palme d'Or.
'Unquestioned esteem' in anything is questionable.

Avatar winning over The White Ribbon was the most egregious I have witnessed, and at this point (following Avatar, Inception, and Hugo victories in the category), came to expect Life of Pi to win it, because according to Hollywood, good effects = good cinematography. It's disgusting.

Christopher Doyle is my hero. Preach. Even if you are a few years late.

I kind of agree with this sentiment. When nearly all of the film's imagery is fabricated in post-production, it shouldn't win a Cinematography award. Should've just left them with Best VFX.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Because Miranda, Richardson, and Deakins were all better. Don't get me wrong, the cinematography for The Master is one of only 2 good things about the entire movie. The Master was a complete waste of talent and a pointless movie.

Because Miranda, Richardson, and Deakins were all better. Don't get me wrong, the cinematography for The Master is one of only 2 good things about the entire movie. The Master was a complete waste of talent and a pointless movie.
That's only because Man on Fire is your favorite movie.