Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

What movies do you guys think were really under-rated?
I want to get opinions on "different" movies, ones that were not that popular but were good.

My under-rated movie is Sleepers(1997).
If you like the movie, the book is even better!

Thanks guys!

O Brother, Where Art Thou?, while reasonably commercially successful, was never highly popular (but it's soundtrack sure was)...at least not among most of the people I've talked to. The Apostle didn't make much dough, I don't think, but I thought it was excellent. Ditto for Rounders. Cabin Boy is sort of a cult favorite around our house...very funny movie, but I think it only took in $2-3 million domestically.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Second O Brother, Where Art Thou?, very funny movie.

Unbreakable is another one. Some people just don't like it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Instinct.

Great acting, great writing. Too bad most people didn't understand the main message of the movie.

I second The Apostle. It's a shame so many people didn't see it.

Mind explaining the main message of Instinct, firegod? I thought it stunk. Enlighten me.

My choice is A.I., one of the most haunting, profoundly disturbing movies I can think of, and one that has been roundly ignored by the general public, who usually embrace Spielberg's work with open arms. I sincerely believe that, along with 2001, A.I. is the greatest sci-fi film ever made, and one of the most provacative, fascinating, and emotionally resonant movies ever made.

...To be honest, I haven't met a single person that didn't enjoy O Brother Where Art Thou?

There is an existing thread that asked for underrated movies, actors and actresses. It can be found HERE.

As for some of my very favorite movies that are underrated critically as well as in a broader popular sense, here are ten I love unabashedly...

After Hours (1985 - Marty Scorsese)
Quick Change (1990 - Franklin & Murray)
Joe versus the Volcano (1990 - John Patrick Shanley)
Pennies From Heaven (1981 - Herbert Ross)
White Hunter, Black Heart (1990 - Clint Eastwood)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974 - Sam Peckinpah)
The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972 - John Huston)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
The Long Goodbye (1973 - Robert Altman)
They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Steve
...To be honest, I haven't met a single person that didn't enjoy O Brother Where Art Thou?
I've met some that just went, that movie is stupid. So they're not very bright, but...

Hackers
Most Kung fu films
The Musketeer
The Mask of Zorro
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I agree with Mecurdius... pretty much anything that comes out of HK is ignored by most 'critics'...

Joe vs. the Volcano is a great choice.

How about GO. I had never heard a lot about it until it came out on video and was pretty impressed.

Doug Liman's Go (1999) got generally good reviews, just nobody went to see it in the theater for some reason. It came out in April and very quietly only made about $4-million its opening weekend. It wound up with close to $17-million domestically, which did manage to more than cover its budget (around $7-million).

It wasn't underrated really, it was just terribly underseen. When I saw it opening day there were only three or four other people in the entire theater. But at least it found its audience on video.

Originally posted by Holden Pike

After Hours (1985 - Marty Scorsese)
Quick Change (1990 - Franklin & Murray)
Joe versus the Volcano (1990 - John Patrick Shanley)
Pennies From Heaven (1981 - Herbert Ross)
White Hunter, Black Heart (1990 - Clint Eastwood)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974 - Sam Peckinpah)
The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972 - John Huston)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
The Long Goodbye (1973 - Robert Altman)
They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)
Amen Holden. I haven't seen Pennies from Heaven or They All Laughed, but your other choices are spot-on. They're all criminally underrated movies.

I'd have to say:

Raising Arizona
Pi
The Kids in the Hall : Brain Candy
Hard Eight
Man on the Moon
Bad Taste
and of course, hence my sig...Say Anything

I could go and on and on...but I won't.

Raising Arizona
I agree somewhat...though I think it's getting more of the respect it deserved. I think it was something like 34th on the AFI Top 100 Funniest Movies of All Time list...which is a pretty big deal, IMO.

Originally posted by TWTCommish

I agree somewhat...though I think it's getting more of the respect it deserved. I think it was something like 34th on the AFI Top 100 Funniest Movies of All Time list...which is a pretty big deal, IMO.
Yeah but it still one of those movies people don't know a lot of the time. Plus, most people don't understand the Coen Brothers' genius.

I'd certainly agree with that. Some of the gags are blatant...but what really blows my mind is that they seem to run alongside some incredibly subtle jokes. I dig it...I get a weird kick out of laughing at something that wouldn't really be funny on paper, or told as a joke.

"I can't help it..."
Pups - I don't kow of many people that have seen this film, but it is very cool.

Dawn Of The Dead - This is the best out of the great horror series. (Of course, I haven't seen Day Of The Dead yet)

A Man Called Hero - This is truly a HK epic. Full of action, comedy & romance.
Deffinetly, THE ONE... until Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon knocked it off the throne.

A man called hero was complete and udder sh|t it wasnt underrated... it just sucked.

Memento , Falling Down.

Man on the Moon - I personally think that Andy Kaufman(if the movie is accurate) is a comedic genius; his stuff is so much more creative than standard stand-up, too bad people are easily offended.

Unbreakable - It came out too close to Sixth Sense and relied too much on the success of Sixth Sense for its marketing. If you look at the movie objectively/independently and not in relation to Sixth Sense, it will be a much better movie. I particularly enjoyed the use of color, the dark atmosphere, and the use of music to convey mood. The cinemography during the weight lifting was also creative.

Originally posted by Anarchos
Unbreakable - It came out too close to Sixth Sense and relied too much on the success of Sixth Sense for its marketing. If you look at the movie objectively/independently and not in relation to Sixth Sense, it will be a much better movie. I particularly enjoyed the use of color, the dark atmosphere, and the use of music to convey mood. The cinemography during the weight lifting was also creative.
I disagree, I think too many people were expecting a Sixth Sense repeat and were dissapointed.

It didn't rely on anything and I don't think M. Night really wanted it to. Is Signs going to rely on Unbreakable?