Life of Pi Oscar 'an insult to cinematography'

Tools    

The Master should have won.
because it's not mainstream and,therefore,it must be great?

The Master is mainstream.
But it's definitely not as "accessible" as the the most 2012 Oscar nominees.

Cinematography has nothing to do with the accessibility of a movie.
yes but considering your comments above and how do you pick on people's lists,I tend to think that just just basically overpraise all the non-mainstream/arthouse films and underrate the entertaining/mainstream films which not only shows your lack of tolerance but also narrow thinking about films as a whole.

It's an objective statement to say that the cinematography in The Master was great. Most would agree that it has superior cinematography to each of the movies that were nominated. Even more would agree that it deserved a nomination at the very least. And finally, The Master is mainstream, as mentioned above. What I'm trying to say is, what point are you trying to make exactly?

I don't put too much stock into who wins the Oscars. It is highly political and lots of the decisions the Academy make make me ask what the hell were they thinking? Especially all the times Scorsese got shafted out of Best Director Oscars for movies like Raging Bull and not even getting nominated for the Best Director Oscar for Taxi Driver! Then Gran Torino not getting any nominations, Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan, the list goes on. If a movie I like wins some Oscars, great. If it does not, who cares? It is still a great movie.

Because Gran Torino was bad.

But in its defense, as much as I dislike it, the 81st Academy Awards were pretty atrocious to begin with.

Because Gran Torino was bad.

But in its defense, as much as I dislike it, the 81st Academy Awards were pretty atrocious to begin with.
Your opinion of course. I myself love it and consider it an excellent film.

I will admit that I stopped watching the Oscars a long time ago.

off topic, but the oscars hasn't had a decent best picture since no country for old men.

i am convinced they got lucky by actually awarding a best picture oscar to a non-average film for once though.

whoever made the cannes statement about fahrenheit 9/11, sure, but for cannes that's an exception, not the rule. with the oscars, i actively avoid winning films because i am convinced they MUST be meh since they actually won. didn't garbage like forrest fump and gladiator win best pictures? and million dollar baby? ew ew ew

WOW! It's the only film I haven't seen yet from PTA, but when I see these images I get very excited! I'm seeing this tomorrow. It looks magnificent.
I myself need to watch it again soon. Waiting for a used copy to show up at MovieStop. I know one will eventually.

off topic, but the oscars hasn't had a decent best picture since no country for old men.

i am convinced they got lucky by actually awarding a best picture oscar to a non-average film for once though.
Well I mean, the Academy had there backs against the wall with both No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood being nominated. Juno, Atonement, and Michael Clayton seemed like unlikely upsets to actually happen, so they still went with the safe choice in No Country for Old Men. Just so happens that it's actually still a really good movie.

What did you think of The Artist?
Entertaining, safe, and total Academy bait driven by a pretty good performance in the lead. I haven't seen The Descendants yet, but from what I hear it's probably better than The Artist. Midnight in Paris was better than The Artist, as was The Tree of Life. It's not a movie I could really complain about winning, per say, but it did win over better competition. I could list almost 20 movies better than The Artist that came out in 2011, but I mean, obviously some would never even dream of seeing a nomination, let alone an Oscar trophy at the end of the night

whoever made the cannes statement about fahrenheit 9/11, sure, but for cannes that's an exception, not the rule. with the oscars, i actively avoid winning films because i am convinced they MUST be meh since they actually won. didn't garbage like forrest fump and gladiator win best pictures? and million dollar baby? ew ew ew
I liked Forrest Gump, but over Shawshank Redemption? I think not. And while I like Gladiator, The 2000 Best Picture race was not that great so it won by default. Million Dollar Baby I thought deserved it.

But I think the 2009 Best Picture race was the worst in recent years.