The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

i'm not surprised no one had seen my pick but seeing a few people say they'd never seen any Zulawski films has me worried lmao. his style can take a minute to get used to is all i'll say.
I know Possession is probably his most popular, or the one that gets mentioned more often, but would you consider Mad Love a good "first film" to get into his filmography?

I know Possession is probably his most popular, or the one that gets mentioned more often, but would you consider Mad Love a good "first film" to get into his filmography?
uhhh, maybe?? it might be more accessible than his more well known works just by virtue of the genre its in.

@Citizen Rules - I don't know if you remember our conversation about my next nomination at the end of the 26th HoF, but little did we know we'd be trying to nominate the exact same film in the 27th. Had Raiders lined up since then, and got a shock when @edarsenal let me know that my nomination had already been nominated. I bet you that doesn't happen too often. Anyway, in my opinion, if you ignore the rest of the hoopla and franchise after it, Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably the best film ever made - so to that particular one. Jaws was always going to come later on down the track from me, but it's been bumped up to this crowd of pretty big films.
Wow! you were going to pick my nom Raiders of the Lost Arkthat's funny and a coincidence because when I talked to you in PM and you said you were going for a popular big film, I thought it would be (are you ready?) Jaws. I swear that's true! I almost went with Jaws myself this time. I can see we both have great taste

My Dog Skip (Jay Russell, 2000)
In my review of The Secret of Roan Inish I said I started with that because it was the only family film nominated but I had clearly forgotten about this film so I figured I'd keep the same vibe going. And much like Roan Inish I have almost nothing to say about this because its, y'know, so standard. It briefly touches on some issues of the time (propaganda, segregation) which is fine but doesn't add to the elements of filmmaking I have any interest in. Visually, atmospherically there's not much going on (the music tries but doesn't quite get there) though I liked that deer scene, that had some weight to it. Like there's nothing wrong with it other than being a hair long perhaps, idk its fine. It's fine. How do you write about things when there's nothing of interest in the filmmaking??

The trick is not minding
uhhh, maybe?? it might be more accessible than his more well known works just by virtue of the genre its in.
I’ve been wanting to dig into Zulawski for awhile, not just for Possession, but On the Silver Globe as well.

I’ve been wanting to dig into Zulawski for awhile, not just for Possession, but On the Silver Globe as well.
omg every time i see clip or gif from Silver Globe i'm like "holy sh*t i NEED to see this".

I didn't even realize that it's the director of Possession. Kinda makes that nom more interesting, eh.

The trick is not minding
I didn't even realize that it's the director of Possession. Kinda makes that nom more interesting, eh.

It’s almost worth joining for this nom alone. But I’m likely going to pass, this time.

The trick is not minding
omg every time i see clip or gif from Silver Globe i'm like "holy sh*t i NEED to see this".
It’s the same for me, only Posession even more so. The fact it has a very delicious Adjani also helps.

I just finished watching L'amour braque (1985). Directed by Andrzej Zulawski, this odd film has a convoluted plot involving bank robbers and beautiful women. Zulawski has a distinctive, madcap style and directs the film with abandon and flair. For me, it didn't always work. There are strong moments and successful elements to the film, but other parts that don't gel. This is definitely a mixed bag for me. The story feels unnecessarily complicated and the dialogue didn't help much. The women in the film were beautiful (and not afraid to show it off ) and the moments of violence pack a punch. I wasn't really impressed with the style of acting here. L'amour braque feels like the type of film where the parts are better than the whole. That being said, this is the first film that I have seen by Zulawski and I am glad that I saw it. I can see this being a love it or hate it film for a lot of people and will be interesting to see everyone's response to it. Although I didn't love it, there is enough good stuff here, for me to give it a positive rating and ranking.

I'm tempted to just join instead of waiting until later next week to see how busy my course is actually going to be.

Tuesday night I had time and rewatched my potential pick, and I'm in the mood to watch one of the nominations now.

I sent in my nomination! If you haven't heard of it before, try not to spoil yourselves on the twist as it really changes everything.

A note to those of you who don't watch horror comedies: you may find the first shot of the film (which continues uncut for nearly 40 minutes ) a bit rough to sit through, but trust me that there's a payoff later on. I wouldn't nominate a schlocky low budget horror flick in a General HoF. In fact, there's a reason why I called this a "horror" film (with quotes) earlier in the thread. You'll probably be surprised.

I sent in my nomination! If you haven't heard of it before, try not to spoil yourselves on the twist as it really changes everything.

A note to those of you who don't watch horror comedies: you may find the first shot of the film (which continues uncut for nearly 40 minutes ) a bit rough to sit through, but trust me that there's a payoff later on. I wouldn't nominate a schlocky low budget horror flick in a General HoF. In fact, there's a reason why I called this a "horror" film (with quotes) earlier in the thread. You'll probably be surprised.
One Cut of the Dead?

I wasn't sure if Ed wanted to post the reveals himself, but the cat's out of the bag now I guess haha. This is what I sent in my PM:

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway

One Cut of the Dead / Kamera o Tomeru na! (2017)
Directed by: Shin'ichirō Ueda
I have a link if anyone needs it. It's on Amazon Prime too (in Canada at least)

I wasn't sure if Ed wanted to post the reveals himself, but the cat's out of the bag now I guess haha. This is what I sent in my PM:

I have a link if anyone needs it. It's on Amazon Prime too (in Canada at least)
sorry if i spoiled the reveal. hoping to be pleasantly surprised because every detail i know about the film is a negative lmao. thanks for mentioning its on canadian prime and saving me time looking for it

thanks for mentioning its on canadian prime and saving me time looking for it
You might also need Shudder or AMC (since Amazon has that annoying internal subscription thing now), but you do get a free trial for each, so if you haven't redeemed it you don't need to increase your Prime membership.