My Favorite "Triple Threat" Performers

Tools    

Bette Midler

She actually made her film debut as an extra in the 1968 epic Hawaii and it wasn't after years of performing in Greenwich Village bathhouses, that she made an impressive screen debut in the 1979 film The Rose, which earned her an Oscar nomination. She has been floating from movies to television to the concert stage for decades and a couple of years ago, won a Tony award for her Broadway debut in a revival of Hello Dolly!. I have posted the opening number from her Emmy winning concert Diva Las Vegas, her final devastating number at the closing of The Rose and the opening number from Hello Dolly called "I Put My Hand In":

Bette Midler

She actually made her film debut as an extra in the 1968 epic Hawaii and it wasn't after years of performing in Greenwich Village bathhouses, that she made an impressive screen debut in the 1979 film The Rose, which earned her an Oscar nomination. She has been floating from movies to television to the concert stage for decades and a couple of years ago, won a Tony award for her Broadway debut in a revival of Hello Dolly!. I have posted the opening number from her Emmy winning concert Diva Las Vegas, her final devastating number at the closing of The Rose and the opening number from Hello Dolly called "I Put My Hand In":

loved her on hocus pocus.

Cher

A show business legend for more than 40 years who started as one half of a pop singing duo from the 60's to a movie, television, and concert star whose career has earned her an Oscar, an Emmy, a Grammy, and three Golden Globes. I have posted a clip from her Emmy winning farewell tour, her performance in Mask, that should have earned her an Oscar nomination, her opening number from the musical Burlesque and her Oscar-winning performance in Moonstruck:

Justin Timberlake

He started out as a member of the boy band N'Sync and before we noticed, he became a number one selling solo artist, as well as a movie and television star. I have posted his video for "Rock Your Body", a scene from the Woody Allen black comedy Wonder Wheel, his video for Can't Stop the Feeling, one of possibly the funniest characters he created on SNL, and a scene from one of his latest films, Palmer:

Ann Miller

got

One of the brightest stars of MGM who never got the acclaim she deserved...the long-legged brunette was primarily known as one of the best tap dancers in the business. But anyone who has seen most of her work, knows that she could sing and act as well. I have posted a patriotic production number from Reveille with Beverly, "Shakin the Blues Away" from Easter Parade, which she shot wearing a back brace after being hospitalized after a miscarriage, "Tom, Dick, and Harry" from Kiss Me Kate. a brief scene from her final film appearance in Mulholland Drive, and even though I thought I wouldn't be able to find it, I had to include her commercial for Great American Soup.

Justin Timberlake

He started out as a member of the boy band N'Sync and before we noticed, he became a number one selling solo artist, as well as a movie and television star. I have posted his video for "Rock Your Body", a scene from the Woody Allen black comedy Wonder Wheel, his video for Can't Stop the Feeling, one of possibly the funniest characters he created on SNL, and a scene from one of his latest films, Palmer:

loved his music and movies

Nicole Kidman

Originally making her mark in Hollywood as a solid dramatic actress, the 2000's have revealed a heretofore unseen musical talent that Kidman had been hiding, making her a definite triple threat. I have posted a clip from my favorite Kidman film To Die For, a her showstopping "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" from Moulin Rouge, a clip from one of her best dramatic performances in The Others, and the best number from that musical disaster The Prom called "Zazz".

Kristen Chenoweth

This Broadway and Hollywood dynamo made her first impression in a Broadway revival of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown playing Sally, a role that was written especially for her in the revival and winning a Tony Award in the process. She also starred in a revival of The Apple Tree and of course, originated the role of Glinda in Wicked. She has also starred on TV series like Glee and Pushing Daisies and has had roles in films like Four Christmases, Deck the Halls, and Running with Scissors. I have posted her performing the impossible-to-sing "Glitter and be Gay" from Candide, a concert performance of "For Good" from Wicked, her showstopping "My New Philosophy" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and an appearance on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show where she performed "Gorgeous" from The Apple Tree.

Barbra Streisand

People either really love her or really hate her, but there's no denying the mark she has made in the business. She first got noticed in a supporting role in a Broadway musical called I Can Get it For You Wholesale, where she stopped the show every night with a song called "Miss Marmelstein". It wasn't long after that where she became an official Broadway star playing Fanny Brice in Funny Girl, recreating the role in the film version of the show and winning an Oscar for her film debut. She also starred in film versions of Hello Dolly! and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. She received another Oscar nomination for The Way We Were and won a second Oscar for writing the lyrics to "Evergreen" for her 1976 remake of A Star is Born. She won a Golden Globe for her directing debut with Yentl and she also directed The Prince of Tides, which received seven Oscar nominations. At the age of 75, she is still filling concert halls and remaining viable in the business. I have posted two of her best numbers from Funny Girl, one of her best scenes in The Way We Were with Robert Redford, and one of her best scenes from one of her least seen films...a dramatic courtroom scene from the 1987 film Nuts:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Barbra Streisand
I don't think of Barbra Streisand as a triple threat because I've always considered her to be a phenomenal singer, but she wouldn't top my lists of either actors or dancers.

The truth is in here

John Travolta
He's one of my favorite actors. His performance of Blow Out is nothing short of incredible and definitely should've garned some more attention. I also love him in Get Shorty, A Civil Action, Hairspray, Primary Colors and Domestic Disturbance.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You're entitled to your opinion, but if you don't think Streisand can act, you might want to take a look at a 1987 film called Nuts that nobody saw.

It's not that I don't think she can act, I just think that she's not the best of the best.

Bernadette Peters

This dazzling Broadway Diva first caught my attention during a guest shot on The Carol Burnett Show when she sang a very bluesy ballad and at the climax of the song, she allowed a single tear to flow down her cheek. Her first major role was playing Ruby in the 30's styled off-Broadway musical Dames at Sea. She has also appeared as Mabel in Mack and Mabel, Dot/Marie in Sunday in the Park with George, Paula in The Goodbye Girl, Desiree in A Little Night Music, Sally in Follies, and brought the house down with her rendition of "Rose's Turn" in Gypsy. Her performances in Song and Dance and Annie Get Your won her Tony Awards and she recently replaced Bette Midler in Hello Dolly. I have posted the title tune from Sunday in the Park with George, "Easy Street" from the 1982 film version of Annie, "Time Heals Everything" from Mack and Mabel and "Love is Good for Anything that Ails You" from the 1981 musical Pennies From Heaven.

Fred Astaire

After his very first screen test, the assessment of his talent was "Can't sing, can't act, can dance a little." He eventually became the gold standard in the art of tap dance and his singing and acting skills were severely underrated. I have posted a dramatic scene from the 1959 film On the Beach. his famous gravity-defying dance from Royal Wedding; "A Shine on Your Shoes" from The Band Wagon, and his romantic duet with Cyd Charisse from Silk Stockings called "All of You."

Mandy Patinkin

He does have a reputation as being difficult to work with, but Patinkin has proved to be one of the industry's most versatile performers. He won a Tony Award back in 1979 for his performance as Che in the original Broadway production of Evita. He has played lead roles on the CBS series Chicago Hope, which won him an Emmy and Criminal Minds. His film credits include Maxie, Yentl, and Dick Tracy, and The Princess Bride. He played Buddy in 1986 concert version of Follies and created the title role in Sunday in the Park with George. I have posted his showstopping "Buddy's Blues" from Follies, a clip from Chicago Hope; his climactic scene with Barbra Streisand in Yentl; "Finishing the Hat" from Sunday in the Park with George and a look at his most famous movie role...Ingo Montoya in The Princess Bride

Patti Lupone

The Broadway legend for whom. I'm pretty sure the term "Diva" was invented. This show business legend won a Tony for creating the role of Eva Peron in the Webber/Rice opera Evita and three decades later won a second Tony for playing Mama Rose in a revival of Gypsy. Lupone has lent her charismatic stage presence and huge set of lungs to roles such as Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes, Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, Fosca in Passion, Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard and her performance of "The Ladies Who Lunch" at Sondheim's 80th birthday concert led to her playing Joanne in two separate revivals of Sondheim's Company. I have posted her unforgettable rendition of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" from Evita; her showstopping rendition of "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, her performance of the title song from Anything Goes for the Tony Awards that shows off her tap skills; her performance of "The Worst Pies in London" from the concert version of Sweeney Todd; and her rendition of "The Ladies Who Lunch" from the Neil Patrick Harris revival of Company...enjoy.

Gene Kelly

He was an actor, singer, dancer, director, producer, and choreographer. Known primarily as a dancer, this guy was a true show business renaissance man. A meticulous perfectionist who did have a reputation as being difficult to work with. Singer Tony Martin was once quoted as saying that he knew when wife Cyd Charisse came home from a day at MGM he could always tell when she had been working with Kelly or with Fred Astaire because when she was working with Kelly, she would come home with bruises all over her feet and legs. He made his film debut opposite Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal. He and creative partner Stanley Donen were the first to convince MGM to do some filming on location for On the Town. Though Vincente Minnelli is credited as director, Kelly was the driving force behind 1951's Best Picture An American in Paris, as well as one of cinema's most beloved musicals, Singin in the Rain. His directing credits include The Tunnel of Love, A Guide for the Married Man, and Hello Dolly!. I have posted a clip of him as D'Artagnan in the 1948 version of The Three Musketeers; "You Were Meant for Me" from Singin in the Ran, which shows Gene could sing and dance; the alter ego dance from Cover Girl where Gene danced with his favorite partner and provided the choreography; "I Like Myself" from It's Always Fair Weather, Gene's amazing number done completely on roller skates, and I couldn't resist adding "The Babbitt and the Bromide" from Zeigfeld Follies, the first time Kelly and Fred Astaire danced together onscreen...enjoy.