The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

as a kid i thought "wow this is so smart i love it" but now i'm like "wow this is so dumb i love it" in regards to Donnie Darko. i think i saw Ratatouille at the drive-in when it came out and never thought of it again.

Don't really get the love for Donnie Darko, I don't particularly dislike it anymore (I used to) but it's still nothing special imo. Clearly I'm in the minority with that opinion though. Won't count Ratatouille as seen as though I might well have watched it all the way through at some point, if I have I certainly don't remember doing so.

Seen: 50/78 (Own: 34/78)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003)
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)
14. Children Of Men (2006)
13. Amélie (2001)
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006)
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Six down, twenty to go...

Donnie Darko was #15 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Ratatouille was #37 there as well as #9 on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seen both, voted for none...

Ratatouille is charming and fun, but it's another one of those that I think I'm a bit "fatigued" off. Shortly after it came out, we often took care of our niece and she was all over that. Every time she was here, she would see that film 3 or 4 times a day, so as much as I enjoyed it, I got a bit tired off it. That said, I do appreciate all the ways it subverts a lot of the typical tropes of animated Disney/Pixar films.

I haven't seen Donnie Darko since it came out. Barely remember bits and pieces of it, but I remember digging its weirdness. I should give it a rewatch.

This is how we do it...

Seen: 61/78

My ballot:  

24. Donnie Darko (241 points) - really good film. Puzzling, dark and clever. Didn't make my list though
23. Ratatouille (243 points) - not my bag at all. Really surprised to see something like this in the top 25.

That 50% didn't last long. I mean, technically I may still be at that, but I'm not sure if I've seen Donnie Darko. I know I've seen parts of it but the whole movie. Let's not count that. And Ratatouille is another Pixar animation so, obviously, I haven't seen it.

Seen: 38/78

I've loved rats for most of my life so when Pixar released a movie with a rat protagonist, it was pretty much guaranteed that I would love it. It became an immediate favorite and, though it's changed places a few times over the years, it has never left my all time top ten. It currently sits at #6 on my all-time favorites (behind 2013's Her), which puts it squarely at #5 on my ballot.

Here's what I wrote about it for the Pixar Hall of Fame:

Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/6/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Citizen Rules
Rewatch: Yes

An animated film with a rat protagonist? Pixar would've had to really screw this one up for me to not like it.

That said, what Pixar delivered is one of their finest films and it was responsible for taking me from casual appreciator to all out fan girl. With every viewing I've been blown away by its meticulous attention to detail, vibrant colors, wonderful character design, and an engaging underdog - er, underrat - story about the importance of following your dreams and not taking your friends and family for granted.

What I really love about the film is how well it blends its realistic and fantastic elements to create something that is silly but also heartfelt. The animators really did their research and it shows. The food looks nearly good enough to eat and the rats move in a mostly rat-like way. I also love the little touches like Ego's coffin shaped office and his typewriter that resembles a skull, the rat band with their improvised instruments, and Skinner with his hilarious combover and little man syndrome. It's the perfect mix of whimsical and touching, and those rats are just too damn cute!

I tried to watch Donnie Darko once many years ago, but couldn't get through it.

Seen: 46/78

My Ballot:
1. Quills (#67)
2. Gladiator (#40)
3. Up (#33)
5. Ratatouille (#23)
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#63)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #24, Donnie Darko...

It currently has an 87% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.0/10 score on IMDb (with 773,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★½ and said:
"The movie builds twists on top of turns until the plot wheel revolves one time too many, and we're left scratching our heads. We don't demand answers at the end, but we want some kind of closure."
Meanwhile Erik Anderson, of AwardsWatch, gave it ★★★★ and said:
"It's a dense, complicated and amazing amalgam of genres and influences that really defies any constraints."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @TylerDurden99 said:
"If you like your films to come with the title 'mindfvck', your search is over. The aforementioned complicated storythread about time travel, rabbits and the end of the world requires full audience participation, and trying to decipher is part of the film's appeal, strength and rewatchability."
And @Citizen Rules said:
"Never judge a movie by it's cover, that's what I did. I requested this from my library a couple months ago. I took one look at the cover and seen a young guy with an ax over his shoulder and said to myself, 'nope I'm not watching a slasher horror film.' So I never watched it... At the start I had an idea of what the movie might turn out to be. But the ending was completely different than what I had imaged. I liked it."

I have to say I was surprised to see this come up, especially as high as it did. Not because of its quality, or lack of (like I said, I barely remember it), but just because it's not a film you see come up often in discussions nowadays.

A system of cells interlinked
Another flick I used to be a HUGE fan of back when it came out was Donnie Darko. Again, this one has fallen off for me a bit, so it wasn't on my list.

Saw Ratatouille once, and it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Dammit, I thought about Ratatouille, but I assumed it would be higher than The Departed.

Never saw the whole Ratatouille, but Donnie Darko was really cool. Funny enough, I watched it because I heard it was supposed to be really disturbing, but it didn't disturb me that much. Still, the writing and themes are excellent. I can't watch it often, though. I just hate that ****ing teacher so much.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #23, Ratatouille...

It currently has a 96% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.0/10 score on IMDb (with 682,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"[Brad Bird's] eye for detail is remarkable. Every prop and utensil and spice and ingredient in the kitchen is almost tangible, and I for one would never turn off the Food Channel if Remy hosted a program named 'Any Rat Can Cook'. This is clearly one of the best of the year's films."
Meanwhile Roger Moore, of Tribue News Service, said:
"Has Pixar lost its magic recipe? Ratatouille is filled with fairly generic animated imagery, a few modest chases, a couple of good gags, not a lot of laughs."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @meatwadsprite said:
"Easily Pixar's best work yet, the gigantic beautiful Paris, amazingly intense action sequences, and the delicious looking food - all come together in one of the best visual films ever. Don't let the recent lack of great animated films steer you away from the gripping and heartwarming tale of Ratatouille."
And @BobbyB said:
"It was OK. Nothing more, nothing less. It's original, as most Pixar stuff is, and so that helps it along, but it just wasn't that good compared to their other work. It was a semi-entertaining, unfunny family film."

Dammit, I thought about Ratatouille, but I assumed it would be higher than The Departed.
I thought about playing with the word "rat" in the hints, kinda mislead you all, but I also thought it would make it too obvious

Seen both, voted for neither.

Ratatouille is dark clever, and among Pixar's best films, though I didn't like it enough for it to make my ballot.

I watched Donnie Darko, but that was a while ago, so I barely remember it. I'm curious how well it would hold up with a rewatch.

With Ratatouille at #23, Brad Bird joins the group of directors with multiple entries on the list. He had placed The Incredibles at #36, which has him 2/2 as far as the decade goes. Ironically, the only other director that has gone 100% so far is Pete Docter, also from Pixar, who went 2/2 as well with Monsters, Inc. and Up.

Two I've seen, one I voted for, one I almost voted for.

I had Donnie Darko as my number 23. I haven't seen it since I first joined MoFo and wrote the review that Thief quoted. I've found memories of writing that little review as it's the second one I wrote here....so a big thanks to @Thief for including it in his review quote feature (such a neat idea for a countdown too!) I really like the movie too

Ratatouille was my nom in the Pixar HoF and it won! I didn't have room on my ballot but I knew it would make it and it did.

I agree with sentiments posted. I liked Donnie Darko quite a bit back in the day, haven't watched it for a long time, and thought that its following had diminished over time - you just don't hear about it anymore. But...I guess I was wrong.

Ratatouille is top tier Pixar in my book. Good job. But I voted for the robot one.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."